Back to the LSD in the garage

Life should not be all about work so this section is about xTalk coding for FUN! Games or gaming related code, fun, humorous or otherwise entertaining stacks go here!
richmond62

Back to the LSD in the garage

Post by richmond62 »

Not really: drugs are most definitely not my thing.

BUT these 2 pictures are worth musing over and deciding if any of the buttons
and the things they lead to are worth recreating:
-
SShot 2021-12-04 at 15.27.51.png
SShot 2021-12-04 at 15.27.51.png (18.19 KiB) Viewed 7689 times
-
SShot 2021-12-04 at 15.28.14.png
SShot 2021-12-04 at 15.28.14.png (17.42 KiB) Viewed 7689 times
-

https://hypercardadventures.com/
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: Back to the LSD in the garage

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

My custom "Start Center" is directly based on "Hypercard Tour" I used "HyperCardPreview.app" to cut and paste from it and then started to update some things that are outdated now (which somewhat surprisingly not very much).

The "Resource Center" I guess is sort of RunRev's answer to "Stack Ideas"

The "Object Library" is sort of RunRev's answer to "Ready Made Buttons" / "Ready Made Fields"

"Stack Templates" and "Background Art" I've looked at and was thinking that XTCML format combined with ScriptOnly stacks could make a nice Stack Template system.

I also looked at my own, modified HyperCard with modded "Home" stacks and had tons of things, like XCMDs/XFCN and data converting utils (which I used back when for decoding MIDI files in HC), resource movers, and some little message box "macros". Some of those things wouldn't apply to OXT, but some could still be relevant.

I have to re-setup my SheepShaver Classic Install so I can look at that stuff again.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

You need no SheepShaver or old hardware as that emulator I referenced will allow you to install software.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:29 pm You need no SheepShaver or old hardware as that emulator I referenced will allow you to install software.
I'm not sure which emulator you're referring to but SheeepShaver has been the best, most continuously updated (including AppleSilicon builds) emulator for macOS classic for a long time now. There's M1 builds of it! It has the directory sharing between the host OS and emulated environment (Basilisk II can too, now days), and with a setup for using TunTap (name?) you can even get some AppleTalk networking going. For retro PPC hardware (IIRC) there was an old virtualization-type build ( like still having "Classic" on 10.5 PPC), it's been developed for a long time, it's named based on some emulator for BeOS ( something like that ).

I've seen there's been some progress with Q Emu's PowerPC emulation, I've booted Mac OS OS 9 with it. That method can also boot OS X to 10.5.8 PPC too (IIRC).

I know there's JS early Mac emulators that run in-browser that can run HyperCard (and more), like the one that is used on Archive.org in the massive HyperCard Stack repo on there.

I've actually seen a Web Assembly js builds of Basilisk II as well, native built for M1!