Are we to compile ourself?

All discussions of compiling from source should go here.
micmac

Are we to compile ourself?

Post by micmac »

Hi there

Just a quick question...

Is the new Community-edition based on that we shall compile ourselves? (I know this is an early project)

Mic
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: Are we to compile ourself?

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Once rebranding is complete, my plan is to redistribute the heavily modified rebuilds, which should also be perfectly legal (see OpenOffice / LibreOffice being given as an example recently), so that other mere mortals (like myself) don't have to go through the trouble of trying to compile from source themselves.

But if you don't want to wait your'e perfectly free to go for doing that yourself! It can't hurt to give it a try, you might even learn something!

You can also download the individual modified IDE script files and images and replace the corresponding named files in your existing installed copy.

I was thinking it might be cool to have a patcher stack that could apply various modifications, not just from me but from anyone. Like theme packs!
micmac

Post by micmac »

Thank you Paul!

I have never compiled anything and I was hoping that the experts would take care of that.

You seams to have a good spirit on this project and Im sure you will pull it of.

Thanks again
Mic
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Having developed a mono-mania about this language over the last 25 years (discounting a brief perversion with ToolBook 5), I would not
know what to do with C++, and BBC BASIC will not help, so BUILDS for bottom feeders like myself are essential.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:03 pm Having developed a mono-mania about this language over the last 25 years (discounting a brief perversion with ToolBook 5), I would not
know what to do with C++, and BBC BASIC will not help, so BUILDS for bottom feeders like myself are essential.
I'm certainly no expert C++ developer, but I'm trying to learn everything I need to in order to keep this thing going.

We could REALLY use some people with those skills that involved for the Engine. But I really want to stress that YOU DON"T NEED C++ SKILLS to contribute! I haven't really haven't even looked at the C++ part of it yet! Most if not ALL of the IDE is boot strapped, that is it's built in itself, it's LCScripts and Stacks! Anyone using already using it should already know to some degree. The docs are made from simple markup language!

I think that not communicating this well to potential community contributors is part of why they didn't get a lot of community involvement!
jamesk169

Post by jamesk169 »

I also forked the open source repositories when I learned that the open source edition of LC was to be discontinued. (Just in case the github would also disappear.) I have an Indy license only because there was the name-your-own-price donation drive in the middle of the pandemic. I thought I could toss some money their way to support the open source development, but surprise! Anyway, I am glad that the talk of a fork from that forum has borne fruit.

Now that it has happened, I guess I'm wondering if there is a guide to building the software from the source code out there, somewhere, in the ether... If one doesn't exist, I suppose making a guide would be good documentation for ourselves and any others that come after us. I saw in a different thread in this section that development will likely be done in Github. I suppose I'm going to need to read about that too.

-James
xAction

Post by xAction »

Detailed instructions for Compiling the source code are available on the old git.
https://github.com/livecode/livecode
That's for the engine, I assume the binaries requir a similar process, it's not documented there.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

the old git
Don't get personal, I'm only 59, not an old git yet. 8-)
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:03 pm Detailed instructions for Compiling the source code are available on the old git.
That's for the engine, I assume the binaries requir a similar process, it's not documented there.
Depends on which binaries you mean, stack and image files are binary files that don't require compiling.
There' are instructions for compiling different parts that need compiling.

I think some of the instructions are incomplete though. For example I read somewhere that Linux building requires a JAVA install and that wasn't mentioned in the instructions.

I haven't even gotten to looking at the Engine source code yet. I'm still trying to satisfy the first goal of unbranding / rebranding.

Just to reiterate, I'd like to keep any rebranding to a minimal!

Even more so now, since I just read some more nastiness from money-lobby-users over yonder accusing this effort of being out to "thwart" something or other. This really pisses me off, that's not what I'm about! Anyone who thinks that about me can kiss ma azz, 'cause I've never made more than a one time $5 donation from my work with LCB (which I was quite grateful for and encouraged by the nice message attached). I have only tried to help and encourage others for zero personal gain. I have a "day job", I don't need to be doing any of this! In fact it can be quite a distraction from my real life and family.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Well, some people have been 'partisan' on both the Open Source and the Commercial side of
this fault line that has opened up, and that is most unfortunate.

There need be no thwarting, but a proper separation between the Commercial property of LiveCode
and the Open Source non-property of anyone does need to be effected, and that should be done with
NO name calling, partisanship or other, frankly rather juvenile goings on.
susan

Post by susan »

xAction wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:03 pm Detailed instructions for Compiling the source code are available on the old git.
I am not going to lie. Pages like that on github make my eyes glaze over. I have zero experience with Visual Studio which I presume is needed to compile on Windows, the OS I use 99% of the time.
OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:34 pm Just to reiterate, I'd like to keep any rebranding to a minimal!
Sounds good.
OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:34 pm Even more so now, since I just read some more nastiness from money-lobby-users over yonder accusing this effort of being out to "thwart" something or other. This really pisses me off, that's not what I'm about! Anyone who thinks that about me can kiss ma azz, 'cause I've never made more than a one time $5 donation from my work with LCB (which I was quite grateful for and encouraged by the nice message attached). I have only tried to help and encourage others for zero personal gain. I have a "day job", I don't need to be doing any of this! In fact it can be quite a distraction from my real life and family.
With you all the way with this. What you are doing is 100% in the spirit of Open Source, and totally cool.
xTalkProgrammer

Post by xTalkProgrammer »

We (Economy-x-Talk.com) are currently looking into what we need to compile the engine.
All my statements in this forum are just an opinion and should not be taken for granted.
https://www.ecxtalk.nl
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xTalkProgrammer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 am We (Economy-x-Talk.com) are currently looking into what we need to compile the engine.
EXCELLENT!
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I know they were using Travis to build so I just signed up for a free account for it to see what that's about
Welcome to Travis CI, Paul!
You are on Free.
You have 10,000 credits left - these will begin counting down automatically as soon as you run your first build.
You can use your credits to build on both private and open-source repositories using Linux, macOS, and Windows OS.
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/for-beginners/