Happy 2022!

Updates on the progress of this project
OpenXTalkPaul

Happy 2022!

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Happy 2022! Y'all!!!

I'm not likely to actually release anything today, although I've been working towards that as much as I could this week in between the craziness. I've decided, after reading up on some things like code signing, certificates and such, before anything more gets added to the base packages, the reverse domain identifiers I've been using (org.oxt.whatever...), which really mostly just concerns widget controls not libraries, should change to match the actual domain here (org.openxtalk...) so I'll be doing that first.

I've also realized that I don't like the way OXT looks with the Xubuntu default 'dark' theme I'm using, it has the reverse problem from macOS, buttons/menus foreGround colors need to be white, they're black on dark grey now, this is irrespective of wether the darkMode scripts I've added are used or not (I mean it looks bad in regular LCC too), maybe need to have separate scripts/scheme for different platforms, or just make everything about the IDE colors into user settable color-sets preferences (leaning towards this). Anything that extensive would have to come later. IDE on Linux needs other fixing, like the Dictionary, the Browser Widget does display the syntax html just fine on Linux 64, so I'm sure the Dictionary stack can be fixed (which currently launches it's Local URL into external web browser app for some reason).

I spent New Years Eve with small group of family tonight, tryin to forget some old acquaintances... cheers!

Here's the a firework I set off tonight, it's called Unicorn Poop, lol:
UnicornPoop.m4v
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 251 times
richmond62

Re: Happy 2022!

Post by richmond62 »

(which currently launches it's Local URL into external web browser app for some reason)
Because LC saw Linux as way down on their list of priorities.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

richmond62 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:54 pm
(which currently launches it's Local URL into external web browser app for some reason)
Because LC saw Linux as way down on their list of priorities.
That Linux support carries a cost disproportionate to revenue is only part of that specific issue. The bigger part is reported to be the state of the CEF browser used by the Web Browser widget in the Dictionary. LC devs say CEF is not well maintained and may not be reparable by them.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

FourthWorld wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:27 pm That Linux support carries a cost disproportionate to revenue is only part of that specific issue. The bigger part is reported to be the state of the CEF browser used by the Web Browser widget in the Dictionary. LC devs say CEF is not well maintained and may not be reparable by them.
That's interesting, I believe it's at least partially supported by Spotify, they host "nightly" builds for all the platforms.
I'm curious about what options in CEF there are that weren't enabled/exposed in Browser Widget. For instance, is it possible to add the libwidevine to use something like Netflix? I've done this as a drop-in file on Linux Chromium to enable Netflix (on like an LibreELEC distro for example), or anything else useful that may not be enabled by default?

Before getting into Extension builder a lot, I was doing a lot of looking into what JS API's could be useful, particularly offline, via Browser Widget. In fact I had my Virtual BassGuitar thing fully working with LCC + JZMIDI.js in Browser + WebMIDI, before going more directly to the source by wrapping CoreMIDI in Builder. This was around the time Node / JS based 'App Engines' like Electron were starting to show up everywhere.

There's opportunity to capitalize on the wealth of JS Libraries that exist, including for offline desktop apps.

So what are devs in general (not LC specifically) using instead of CEF? All WebKit on all platforms?
What other embeddable web engines are there?

Also, the Linux X86_64 CEF / Browser Widget does actually work just fine AFAIKT (apart from maybe some issue with revTools and dragging a browser widget from palette, although that is working fine now in Xubuntu for me, I've seen it in v7 w/Raspian on RPi)... so why then does the Dictionary stack do that on Linux 64? It's almost as if it was a quicky fix for some problem that just got left like that. I guess I'll find out when I get to digging deeper into that.