May 30th 2022

Updates on the progress of this project
OpenXTalkPaul

May 30th 2022

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

So I've been very busy lately, outside of coding/xTalk I mean, the "day job"'s busy season, family obligations, lawn/pool care and such, getting ready for summertime here in middle-class Philly-area suburbs... But I'm always working in time for my 'me' time projects no matter what because life's too short, right?
I've also been rather musically inspired lately, unfortunately due to posthumous listening to music of some of my heroes that have recently passed, such as electronic composer Vangelis (Aphrodite's Child, Chariots of Fire, Bland Runner STs, Jon & Vangelis) last week, and this week the great drummer Alan White (of Lennon Plastic Ono band, and 50 years in YES). :-( all my heroes are getting old and dying off :(

For me this has meant inspired to work on some of my own music... and for OpenXTalk this has meant working on the General Music library, which combines music composition related xTalk scripts into an extension library. Immediately, on the surface, this re-instates HyperTalk-style ABC musical notation (as well as extends it with additional MIDI features), fully HC notation compatible play back of sampled-sounds/instrument patches (I've added Soundfont/DLS support). But the components involved, FluidSynth, CoreMIDI/AVAU MIDI (Apple), GM lib, Piano Widget, an unfinished grid widget I'm working on (already mapped out HC notation to piano-roll-grid drawing), etc. allow for a lot more creative uses.

Additionally I've done some work incorporating Ferris IDE layout rulers extension.
And as discussed in other threads, a few Linux fixes.
I will release a new version of OXT AppImage Linux when every thing is ready and merged in. And it should be a few hundred MBs smaller file-size wise this time.
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: May 30th 2022

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I'm guessing I'll have more time to work on OXT this week because last night I (and everyone else in our household) tested positive for COVID, so I won't be going to work for a bit. So far I'm asymptomatic and I'm vaxxed and boosted so hopefully it will be mild if anything.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I wish you all the best.

Vaxxed as my wife and I were (2 x Astra-Z) we had 2 'groovy' weeks; and my doctor telling me that without those vaccinations I'd be in the
cemetery did not make me feel any better. Subsequently we got boosters.

I hope you all have a speedy and easy recovery.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
overclockedmind

Post by overclockedmind »

Please do what you must to take care of yourselves, and leave project work for, well, when you're gonna blow a fuse if you don't do *something.* And let us know when you're on the other side of the battle; declare VICTORY!
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon