Aug. 25th 2022

Updates on the progress of this project
OpenXTalkPaul

Aug. 25th 2022

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I am still working on getting things up to date and merged across platforms, distribution packaging, etc.
In between that (and of course real world things like my big Labrador dog Bear getting sick, sigh)...
I've been working on the "OpenXTalk Extension Depot Repo", which will be the IDEs Resources Delivery System, with Repo(s) (could make it so you could add third party Repos) that are entirely built and served up to our IDE via a simple GitHub repos, with a simple (work-in-progress) data set for our IDE resources. (Name,Author,Kind,Summary, etc.)

Currently I've just uploaded a few widget packages and have a working javascript setup that passes user-selected files into our IDE as base64 encoded data and then decoded to disk (working on the install to IDE bits).

Its resource list is pulled in from a plain-old tab-separated-values (tsv) file on its project GitHub Repo (currently in a subdirectory of the OXT playground repo). There's a stack with a DataGrid for displaying the list and downloading a selected widget. I'll be adding display of the Extensions icon (if it has one) and ability to pull up a 'readme', screenshots, syntax usage info, etc.

Eventually I'll add all of the external things, IDE plug-ins, sample stacks, extension libraries, resource center additions, custom start center stacks, etc.

I can even see distributing very large files, such as IDE updates, this way, using a file-splitter, then use some async JS to download a few parts at a time, and finally combine/merge all of the parts together back into a zip file or whatever, could be quite fast file transfers. A lot like downloading huge binaries off of USENET back in the day.

Let me preemptively respond to 'distractions' concerns.
1) I am 100% convinced that the Community IDE needs a mechanism like this.
2) There are certain things that I can only work on from my home workstations, but this isn't one of them. Being at least partially built on the Emscripten engine and/or other JS, means I can actually experiment with some of this stuff from my phone or tablet from just about anywhere on the planet.
ExtensionManager.png
ExtensionManager.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 5712 times
richmond62

Re: Aug. 25th 2022

Post by richmond62 »

If I understood any of the above I might comment on it.

But, as "A bear of very little brain" I would just keep asking "Where's the Hunny?"
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/