Oct. 31st 2021

Updates on the progress of this project
OpenXTalkPaul

Oct. 31st 2021

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Status is: currently stuffing my face with candy.

I had wanted to do some sort with OXT-Costumed Community Edition preview release for Halloween, but since last time I reported, two weeks ago, I've been somewhat busy with life outside of coding, so that wasn't to happen.

For one thing, I just realized yesterday that changes I've made while generating a new dictionary and getting the IDE to use that one instead of the old LCC version, has had a negative effect on the Script Editor, specifically, for some reason the list of default pre-made handlers that normally appears in the left panel of the SE is not finding the handlers for "classic" built in objects such as buttons, cards, stacks, etc. so not good. Builder Widgets default scripts do still show up there, just not the normal built in ones! I may have to revert some changes. I'm having trouble tracking down exactly how to update the Script Editor to make it work with the chantges, there's a few behavior scripts that make up the Script Editor.

I am aware of the open source GLX Script Editor alternative, but I will have to take a closer look at that.

I've also set up a Linux to work on the Linux build. I went with Ubuntu Studio (64 bit), at least for now.

Since I have a Linux set up now, I finally Installed, Tested, Fixed/Updated the linux build of Builder Wrapper Library for libFluidSynth, so realtime music creation on OXT on Linux, yeah!
xAction

Re: Oct. 31st 2021

Post by xAction »

Shame about the script editor. It's a clunky mess in 9.6.1 and the dictionary has minute long delay showing anything on screen, that RevMedia download's script editor was so smooth and the dictionary popped right open.

Dude, libSynth is amazing, they should have paid you to add that to the software and attracted a whole new audience, instead of expecting people to buy their software then go digging around the forums/whatever to find a feature. It really amazes me that LC had zero built in sound capability other than playing media files.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Shame about the script editor. It's a clunky mess in 9.6.1
At the risk of seeming bitchy (who? me?) can you explain exactly what you feel is wrong with the script editor,
as I have never really had any obvious problems with it from RunRev 1.1 to LV 9.6.3, even when scrolling through
6,000 switch cases in my Devawriter Pro.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:47 am
Shame about the script editor. It's a clunky mess in 9.6.1
6,000 switch cases in my Devawriter Pro.
6,000 switch cases, HOLY... maybe some alternative to that like a arrays would be easier to maintain and/or faster?
On the other hand, if it works well then that's all that really matters I guess.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Anyone approaching dead Indian languages is going to find things a tough call,
so, frankly, however slowly your program works is already too fast. :D

A Hindu once told me that God invented the Devanagari writing system, and
I then asked him, if that were so why was it so complicated, to which he
replied, "Because God has a nasty sense of humour."
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:10 am Shame about the script editor. It's a clunky mess in 9.6.1 and the dictionary has minute long delay showing anything on screen, that RevMedia download's script editor was so smooth and the dictionary popped right open.
I'd like to know more as well, specifically which OS this is happening on, and what sort of hardware are you running the IDE on?

I used to have a similar issue with the Dictionary stack when it was first changed it to the newer, Browser Widget based Dictionary with HTML and JS/JSON cache files generated from API.sqlite database, but that was years ago and mostly slow on my older OS (macOS 10.6.8) and slower hardware (Core2 Duo). I haven't had major issues with it in a the last couple of years, but I'm on newer OS and hardware now. On macOS the browser widget uses WebKit (Safari/macOS web engine) instead of Chromium Embedded (CEF used on Windows an Linux). I think LC Ltd. is switching or has switched to WebKit on all platforms, I guess because It makes standalone a lot smaller and/or because Google dropped support for CEF project (although a community is still working on that).

The Script Editor, I've never had much issues with that. My only complaint I can think of was when I had LC Indy Edition, I didn't like the way "AutoComplete" worked and so I wound up turning that feature off after a while. I've been using Atom Code Editor a lot and I like the way It's autocomplete works.

Eventually, it might be good to integrate some alternative IDE elements. To my mind, it's best if things like the Dictionary are built with as little peripheral technology as possible (I,E. no HTML/CS/JS). I even find that having multiple behavior scripts, and script only things creating UI elements on the fly, then setting custom properties on those temporary objects, makes it difficult for me to find things and see how they work. I would prefer a more linear, consolidated, visual approach.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Autocomplete is a load of old cobblers because it tries to think for you,
and NO computer will ever think in the sort of warped way I do, or you do, or
you do, or you do . . . .
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:06 pm Autocomplete is a load of old cobblers because it tries to think for you,
and NO computer will ever think in the sort of warped way I do, or you do, or
you do, or you do . . . .
Personally (and this may seem funny because I know I can be long-winded with my comments) I don't like typing, and so autocomplete was one of the things I wanted to try out in the Indy version. However, even just the way that Quotes/Brackets completion worked, I found really annoying. The drop down list didn't work the way I expected from using other programs with autocomplete features, IIRC you have to arrow-down through the pop-up list of suggestions, which are often multi-word chunks of script.

Atom builds its suggestions on the fly from the single words that are already in the text you're working on, and you just hit tab if the top suggestion is what you want. KISS (keep it simple stunod) works for me.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I believe the main reason these IDE things were changed, from self contained stacks to script-only (UI elements created on loading) or binary stack for UI + script only behaviors, was version control, specifically GitHub. Certainly useful, particularly with something with so many moving parts, but I think it that may not be ideal for every situation.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

from self contained stacks to script-only
From a personal point of view it's a real pain-in-the-bum as any hacks I want to implement
do not "stick" and have to be 'fired' with a start up stack every time I open the IDE.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I must have made a "rebranding/unbranding" change recently that messed up the default scripts feature on my laptop installed copy. I'm on a different machine now that I've been merging changes to from the GitHub IDE copy and default scripts in the Script Editor left panel are showing up as expected on this install and the thing I was most recently trying to change about the dictionary is still unbranded. So that's good, I just have use revert to these script libraries and move on from there. I can compare the files to see where I went wrong.

This stuff is a web of interconnected bits, scattered across multiple files and the connections are not always very obvious. Have to be careful making that even minor changes don't break something else.

If anyone is curious, this is the menu I was trying to change in the Dictionary when I broke something in the Script Editor:
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 6.12.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 6.12.34 PM.png (556.17 KiB) Viewed 3554 times
"LiveCode Script" is now just "Script"
"LiveCode Builder" is now just "Builder"
"IDE" is a category that was blocked in the Dictionary building process. Bypassing the block adds Extension Builder Utility Functions to the Dictionary in the regular "Script" category but also creates a new main category "IDE" category which is empty for some reason (maybe the extension builder docs were supposed to go there?).
xAction

Post by xAction »

Script editor slows to a crawl. Typing in it takes several seconds for each letter to appear. I'm not sure what triggers it. Seems to be the automatic error catch like if you do

put "something

and then leave the line you are typing to fix something else or look something up, it appears to I don't know back up with a bunch of error messages in the background, like it wants to tell you about one typo a hundred times.

This is a known issue.

I've turned every option off in the script editor just as Kaveh did, and it still happens.

Sometimes if I'm in a script and leave the script editor to look something up online or type something up, the whole script editor/IDE freezes up, have to exit to get back to what I was doing.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:42 pm Script editor slows to a crawl. Typing in it takes several seconds for each letter to appear. I'm not sure what triggers it. Seems to be the automatic error catch like if you do

put "something

and then leave the line you are typing to fix something else or look something up, it appears to I don't know back up with a bunch of error messages in the background, like it wants to tell you about one typo a hundred times.

This is a known issue.

I've turned every option off in the script editor just as Kaveh did, and it still happens.

Sometimes if I'm in a script and leave the script editor to look something up online or type something up, the whole script editor/IDE freezes up, have to exit to get back to what I was doing.
Hmm? On Mac or Windows and what's the hardware specs it's running on?
I watched the video linked there, that was macOS but not sure what version.

I haven't had issues like that, at least not in a long time. Perhaps it is a disk accessing / buffering problem on slower HDD? I was thinking that because I've been using mostly SSD drives for a few years now and maybe that's made it so I don't have problems like that in a long time?
Have you tried anything to fix it? Reset preferences file? Removed any add-ons?
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I think I found the key to my modded Dictionary / Script Editor problem, I think the SE is looking for a "Script" category in the dictionary DB, but I had it as "OXT Script" in the dictionary API.sqlite DB.

The problem only showed up when I deleted the cached version of the dictionary that the IDE builds in ~/Library/Applications Support/RunRev folder, which makes the IDE rebuild that cache from the copy in the IDE folder. So the Script Editor must be pulling data from that cached copy. Probably means it is accessing the disk while in Script Editor, maybe that's related to the freeze-ups some people experience?

Check the health of your drive your user library is on?