NativeSoft Stuff (LGPL 3)

OpenXTalkPaul

NativeSoft Stuff (LGPL 3)

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Just some interesting xTalk stuff I hadn't come across before.
(Apparently this person is no longer an active LiveCode Developer since about 2015-16)
https://www.nativesoft.net/products/
richmond62

Re: NativeSoft Stuff (LGPL 3)

Post by richmond62 »

OK: I have just downloaded those and hope to get to 'play' with them over the weekend.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
xAction

Post by xAction »

Increase code reusability
NativeDoc allows you to use the JavaDoc or Doxygen documentation syntax inside LiveCode.

You can browse directly within LiveCode your sourcecode documentation or generate a website.
Oh, that's what everyone with a very appealing documentation is doing.

Gotta get everything exported to text files and feed to ChatGPT.
Just downloaded like 60 maybe hundred xTalk things from GitHub* today, must feed it all to the AI beast, document everything!

On that note, for some people to say they didn't get contributions from open source, it made me a little mad. There was so much out there over the past decade. People gave what they were capable of giving. Oh well.
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

xAction wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:52 pm On that note, for some people to say they didn't get contributions from open source, it made me a little mad. There was so much out there over the past decade. People gave what they were capable of giving. Oh well.
The contributions to the project were on par with original expectations.

In a community of scripters, who delivered many hundreds of fixes and enhancements to the IDE and docs, it would be dismissively revisionist to express disappointment with a lower number of C++ contributions to the engine.

The liberating power of scripting as a productivity gain over the bit-counting tedium of C++ is the whole point of the product.

Low expectations for engine contribs were anticipated at the beginning; I don't understand how that became forgotten at the end.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

original expectations
Indeed: so 'that lot' who dropped the Open Source were being disingenuous: or, just kept raising their expectations . . .
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

richmond62 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:51 pm
original expectations
Indeed: so 'that lot' who dropped the Open Source were being disingenuous: or, just kept raising their expectations . . .
I honestly don't understand why they chose to reduce their global installed base by (per their description) 75%, so I can't conjecture about motivations for the difference between their expectations at the beginning and at the end.