Number of users of the LC CE?

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
micmac

Number of users of the LC CE?

Post by micmac »

Hi

What is a qualified estimate of the number of users of the Community Edition? (before it was ended)

The Livecode forum has 126.365 members

So users of CE must be in the thousands.

Mic

Why do we only have 51 members here?
richmond62

Re: Number of users of the LC CE?

Post by richmond62 »

Because it does not appear to be dynamic and established like the LC Forums which have been running for 10 years +.
users of CE must be in the thousands.
That might be a misreading.

There is no obvious way to tell how many of that vast number have ever actively participated in any of the discussions
or contributed anything. What I have observed are a lot of people who join in the hope that other members will do
their 'homework' for them, and when they realise that that is not going to happen vanish.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:21 am Because it does not appear to be dynamic and established like the LC Forums which have been running for 10 years +.
users of CE must be in the thousands.
That might be a misreading.

There is no obvious way to tell how many of that vast number have ever actively participated in any of the discussions
or contributed anything. What I have observed are a lot of people who join in the hope that other members will do
their 'homework' for them, and when they realise that that is not going to happen vanish.
I also think they have a lot of non-programmers sign-up looking for an easy way to program apps, and when they realize that it's not as super-easy as advertised to do what they want to do themselves, they give up or hire someone to build it for them.
Is there any truly accurate way to tell how many active developers there are that are actually using it? Maybe not. Certainly LC Ltd. at least with their hobbyist tier, the account linked apps being tethered to a licensing server, they probably can get a more accurate count of active devs actually using their stuff. I doubt they would make that publicly available info though.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I doubt they would make that publicly available info though.
Why do I have a feeling that an organisation we know has been telling us quite a few fairy stories for a long, long time.

When I was 6 or 7 a daft teacher at my school told all of us children that each of us had a fairy living at the bottom
of the garden, and that our homework that weekend was to find out the fairy's name.

My Mother was ready to go round to the school and throttle the teacher, but my Father told me that we did, indeed,
have a fairy living at the bottom of our garden, and he told me its name, which I dutifully wrote down.

Come Monday, the teacher asks all of the children for the name of their fairy; most of them say that they don't know,
or they come up with 'Twinkletoes' or suchlike. Eventually (I was at the back of the class) she asks me to say what the name
of my fairy is, and as I am telling her she's writing it on the board: did she go red? But, then, my Father had explained that the
fairy that stayed at the bottom of our garden was called 'Fairy Nuff'.

Now sometimes I feel that certain people in Edinburgh did not have the fantastic educational advantage I had by having
such a wonderful Dad. 8-)
mdm

Post by mdm »

Guys

I recommend you click into the LC forums member list and count the accounts that are not spambots. Then you get an answer to your questions.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Well, for the sake of argument, nigh-on 20 children I taught some LiveCode to 9-10 year ago are registered there: not a single one has expressed any interest on LC subsequently as they all moved along to the questionable joys of C# and so on at high school. They will be counted as Forum members . . .
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

mdm wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:10 pm Guys

I recommend you click into the LC forums member list and count the accounts that are not spambots. Then you get an answer to your questions.
That doesn't actually tell you much, like how many people are actually using it to make useful or fun things, it's only a list of LC forum accounts that (likely) aren't spambots.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:22 pm Well, for the sake of argument, nigh-on 20 children I taught some LiveCode to 9-10 year ago are registered there: not a single one has expressed any interest on LC subsequently as they all moved along to the questionable joys of C# and so on at high school. They will be counted as Forum members . . .
Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Although I would add that I've looked at a bunch of C# and I think it isn't too terrible, human-readability-wise.