Interoperability?

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
richmond62

Interoperability?

Post by richmond62 »

Presumably, for the moment, at least, LiveCode and OpenXTalk files will be mutually openable and runnable: at least up to LC 9.6.3.

And, presumably, as OpenXTalk has to depend on the Community LiveCode engines, there is little change for 'speciation' at present.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: Interoperability?

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:00 am Presumably, for the moment, at least, LiveCode and OpenXTalk files will be mutually openable and runnable: at least up to LC 9.6.3.

And, presumably, as OpenXTalk has to depend on the Community LiveCode engines, there is little change for 'speciation' at present.
Yes, the only thing I've changed so far is the file extensions, and that's only so it opens OXT instead of LCC, way back there was a MIME type that was created by RunRev (x-revolution-stack or something like that), so that should be added with OXT alternative because MIME is apparently used by the Free Desktop spec for filetype mapping on Linux.
Currently the OXT file format script only .oxtscript = .livecodescript and binary stack .oxtstack = .livecode

So far I don't see any reason top change file formats... other than maybe LC's scriptOnly has a starting line of text that identifies it to the Engine as a script-only stack, which OpenXION sees and tries to interpret as xTalk script, otherwise this collection of AppleScriptUI wrapper handers that I've been working on would be Cross-xTalk-interpreter compatible. I could see maybe adding an OpenXION "(.xn) import/export mechanism to the IDE, similar to how I added a check to see if a stack is a HyperCard stack and then re-route the opening of those to HyperCardPreview.app (great little modern-macOS FOSS app for a quick look at old HC files).

I will say that I've never wanted OpenXTalk to be solely about the FOSS LiveCode Community Edition, and I am 100% for supporting any/all xTalk interpreter(s) or really anything that promotes xTalk / "Natural Language" programming in general.
I'd be happy to hear about some new thing happening with SuperCard or to develop libraries for OpenXION (which I've actually already been doing), or wrap some JavaScript HC clone / xTalk interpreter into a JS App Engine standalone (with something like that Electron builder).