Road Test

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: Road Test

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:51 pm Also, documentation is seemingly loading:
-- SNIP--
I can also set it back to open in a browser, which works again, with:

Code: Select all

put 0 into $LIVECODE_USE_CEF
Back from much needed, relaxing vaca. Working on this stuff is a pleasure to me, so I used travel time and other down time to work on it. Have a nice vid clip of a dolphin that swam by about 10 ft from where I was swimming, the clip loops nicely so I may put my Douglas Adams reference there and use it as the Player controls default video clip, :lol:

Yup, that was already in the IDE scripts I just found it in there.
It seemed to work for me too at first, so I added in a check for platform=Linux and processor=x86_64 and if both conditions are met it sets the $LIVECODE_USE_CEF environmental variable.

But I'm now having the IDE crashing from those changes (KDE Plasma / Ubuntu Studio 22? <-have to check that), not sure what triggers it. I suspect there's issues that are related to some palette behavior script(s) applied to various IDE stacks and how they interact with each other and possibly certain window types (like palette vs topLevel windows).

I also believe I that I left the stack itself saved as editable when I created that first app image so if you're not in Browse Mode you'll get the Browser Widget icon instead of the cached dictionary webpage. That should be easy fix, the cantModify prop gets set by script IIRC, need to remember to change it back before any future release.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

micmac wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:29 pm Have you released the MacOS version, Paul?

Mic
Not yet, but I certainly will be! macOS is the platform I've always primarily used, so that's the version that inherently gets most testing from me and is probably the most stable version.

There's a couple of things that I'd like to work first out though. For instance, if the Tools palette is overlapping the MenuToolbar (those icons under the menubar) it results in mouseClicks Loc being offset from where the user actually clicked. I haven't noticed this problem on Linux or Windows so it may be a macOS specific issue. It's also an issue with vanilla LCCommunity 9.6.3 on mac.

I'd really like to finish making the Tools palette all vector (instead of classic controls and such having pixel based icons) which will make it possible for 'darkMode' to go pitch black background with white line-art, if you so desired. Ultimately I'd like all of IDE colors to be user configureable.

I might just release 2 macOS versions, one code-signed and one unsigned. I've found less issues with things like inter-application (such as via do as AppleScript)... The unsigned version brings up the dialog to ask permission to allow OXT to do that, just once and then you're good, where I've had issues with my signed version failing to, even though I was pretty sure I had the entitlements.plist set up correctly when I signed it, but maybe not (could be the problem).
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Today I spent most of my morning looking for where that 48x48px small (LC)C icon that shows up in the system's taskbar next to OXT windows on Linux (that's IF LCC was already installed on the machine). I can't seem to find where the task bar in the window manager is pulling that from. I found some LC icons in ~/.local/ tried replacing and deleted those with no joy, but it still gets the lime green icon from somewhere. I suspect it's a MIME filetype association (the icon for .livecode files, which is what the OXT menu is) the that's perhaps setup by the LCC installer, but I can't find any related MIME type info. It's also not in the XDG related, or The Free Desktop related folders / traditional icon search paths. It's driving me nuts! This is with Ubuntu Studio with KDE Plasma.

On another Ubuntu Studio install, a 10+ year old box with XFCE that never had LCC installed. I get a generic app window icon instead.

I also did another quick build of the OXT AppImage and it shrunk by a few hundred megabytes! It seems that LCC installs a copy of the full installer into the installed IDE's directory, so I deleted it. Now the AppImage's compressed filesystem is down to around 900 MB, a bit better than 1.2+GB!
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

where that 48x48px small (LC)C icon that shows up in the system's taskbar
At the risk of sounding moronic, shouldn't your goal be to remove and/or replace ALL pictorial
elements from the thing?

There should be a way to suck out ALL pictorial elements and dump them into a directory . . .

Drag and drop the LC installer package (this would be on a Mac) onto the Preview icon and you
should get everything.

----- This bit added later after some thought -----

Mind you finding their 'points of origin' may be difficult.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 1.26.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 1.26.26 PM.png (374.03 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
-
Cripes, I wish I hadn't looked. 8-)
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:08 am
where that 48x48px small (LC)C icon that shows up in the system's taskbar
At the risk of sounding moronic, shouldn't your goal be to remove and/or replace ALL pictorial
elements from the thing?

There should be a way to suck out ALL pictorial elements and dump them into a directory . . .

Drag and drop the LC installer package (this would be on a Mac) onto the Preview icon and you
should get everything.

----- This bit added later after some thought -----

Mind you finding their 'points of origin' may be difficult.
Nice method for quickly perusing a bundles picture files, now added to my tips and tricks bag, thanks!
Fnding their 'points of origin' in the Linux file system, where they're placed post-install, that Linux desktop launchers and window manager things such as the task bar, pick up, and possibly cache the icon from, is what I was looking for. I thought I HAD at least mostly already purged such picts from IDE folders (and some embedded into stacks as well). I believe what this is perhaps is a result of mapping .livecodescript to LCCs icon via some MIME/file type setup somewhere by the LCC installer. On Linux systems where I've never installed LCC, the AppImage does not have that icon showing. So I'd basically like to add my own filetypes to the linux systems awareness, equivalent with the way they're added to the registry on Windows or Launch Services on macOS (or the old Desktop DB of ancient times)
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

OK so Linux uses firstly "magic number" check in a files header to determine what kind of file something is based on databases that pairs them to mime types (vs. using the filename .extension). I should be able to over write/override the existing one, I'd rather not have to rename all of the IDE files to use .oxtstack/oxtscript and hope that doesn't mangle something else, just to not have that icon on the task bar. Of course if I overwrite the LCC existing filetype info, then OXT will be the default app for all .livecode/livecodescript (that's perfectly OK with me) as well as oxtstack, oxtscript, .stk and .rev. We could add a filter in the IDE file opening handlers that reroute to other apps based on a magic number check. This is how OXT handles HyperCard stacks and passes them to HyperCardPreview.app for viewing (instead of crashing the IDE) on macOS.