All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
richmond62

A Bad Joke, nicht?

Post by richmond62 »

Bits and bobs from a recent thread on the LiveCode Use-list:

macOS Ventura (13.x.x)...

With 9.6.3 Community version, showing the message box, or the script window of a button, crashes LiveCode right away.

Sounds like the OSS community has some work to do, if there is anyone with the skills still there.

And the big-and-burning Q is why did 99% of the much vaunted "Community" leave more quickly than rats leaving
a sinking ship rather than transferring their attention over here?

Could it be that, despite all the LiveCode Central people using the word "Community" they never really gave any indication
that they believed there could be a community . . .

I sent a suggestion about an addition to the preference settings, which I was told would be built in in an upcoming version:
it never did . . . after a while 'community' members just stopped bothering.
-
BogCleaner.png
BogCleaner.png (48.04 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
-
mockup.png
mockup.png (108.69 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Attachments
MSG.livecode.zip
Stack.
(25.96 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: A Bad Joke, nicht?

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:56 pm Bits and bobs from a recent thread on the LiveCode Use-list:

macOS Ventura (13.x.x)...

With 9.6.3 Community version, showing the message box, or the script window of a button, crashes LiveCode right away.

Sounds like the OSS community has some work to do, if there is anyone with the skills still there.

And the big-and-burning Q is why did 99% of the much vaunted "Community" leave more quickly than rats leaving
a sinking ship rather than transferring their attention over here?

Could it be that, despite all the LiveCode Central people using the word "Community" they never really gave any indication
that they believed there could be a community . . .

I sent a suggestion about an addition to the preference settings, which I was told would be built in in an upcoming version:
it never did . . . after a while 'community' members just stopped bothering.
-
BogCleaner.png
-
mockup.png
I think we could put this in along with a related item from a discussion 'over there', I think you may remember about the arbitrary 200-line message box history limit, which is hard-coded as a constant. Easy enough to make that an IDE preference property.

I'm on vacation / holiday but when I get home, I may install Ventura beta on my iMac, I don't usually install beta versions of Operating Systems but I might this time to just to see what's up with this crashing on loading certain stacks.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Oh and that is why I put quotes around "Community" when I replied to that thread.
I don't think there was ever really any aggressive effort to get community involvement, other than maybe for editing the dictionary docs. Which I did, but even that was a pain in the arse. The first thing you had to do to contribute was signup for a GitHub account and learn to use Git, and then electronically sign some legal agreement.
Also I don't think there's all that many people in the LC community that are interested in doing any altruistic work, or maybe people didn't see it as altruism for the sake of xTalk, but instead saw it as free labor for a commercial company using FOSS for crowd-funding campaigns. I don't know.
overclockedmind

Post by overclockedmind »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:48 pm Oh and that is why I put quotes around "Community" when I replied to that thread.
I don't think there was ever really any aggressive effort to get community involvement, other than maybe for editing the dictionary docs. Which I did, but even that was a pain in the arse. The first thing you had to do to contribute was signup for a GitHub account and learn to use Git, and then electronically sign some legal agreement.
Also I don't think there's all that many people in the LC community that are interested in doing any altruistic work, or maybe people didn't see it as altruism for the sake of xTalk, but instead saw it as free labor for a commercial company using FOSS for crowd-funding campaigns. I don't know.
I forked it myself for the sake of posterity, and preservation. That and, not my bytes (could have been, though.)
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I think we could put this in along with a related item from a discussion 'over there'
-
OverThere.jpg
OverThere.jpg (277.08 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

---SNIP---
OK: I'm bonkers . . .
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

LiveCode 8.2.0 (dp 2) works without a hitch.

LiveCode 9.6.3 'Community' works without a hitch.

LiveCode 9.6.8 works without a hitch.

LiveCode 10.0.0 (dp 4) works without a hitch.
overclockedmind

Post by overclockedmind »

richmond62 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:53 pm LiveCode 8.2.0 (dp 2) works without a hitch.

LiveCode 9.6.3 'Community' works without a hitch.

LiveCode 9.6.8 works without a hitch.

LiveCode 10.0.0 (dp 4) works without a hitch.
So, a Nothingburger (I should have thrown a few accented characters in there for the more authentic experience.)
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

ALL I have done so far is start up each version, open a new stack, run a command in the
messageBox, and opened a cardScript.

Oh, and my Big, Heavy and Fairly Hairy Devawriter stack functions 100% in LC 9.6.3.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:44 pm ---SNIP---
OK: I'm bonkers . . .
I deleted that image because it contained you're mac's serial number.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I hadn't seen that: thank you very much.