Tailspin

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
tperry2x

Re: Tailspin

Post by tperry2x »

FourthWorld wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:05 pm I know Paul, Kevin, and Mark personally. I know how they work. Paul's dedication is admirable, but there is nothing Kevin and Mark would want to take from here.
That's good to hear. I didn't mean to offend anyone (or potentially offend anyone).
In an ideal world, we could say - "hey, we found a bug at this point..." and they would reply with "Thanks for letting us know, we'll fix it in Livecode. We found an issue with a glitchy message box, on [OS] and the fix is [X] which perhaps you can incorporate into OpenXTalk"

It would be nice if there was a bit of collaboration - a bit of helpful back-and-forth as we might be able to help and so might they.
All I meant was that anyone can look at OpenXTalk's code at any point, yet we can't look at what they are doing over at Livecode as it's closed source.

Which does not seem fair.
Even if they don't plagiarize OpenXTalk's code in any way, shape or form - they can see what has been modified / fixed and why.
Not to say they would directly copy and paste code from OpenXTalk, but what I meant was might they read it and come up with their own fix, written in a different way but fixing the same issue nonetheless?

I'm not suggesting they would knowingly infringe upon any copyright or anything. But to give you an example. Imagine the first car maker to fit a safety feature, then all the other manufacturers started doing it. That original car manufacturer might think "hmm, doesn't seem fair since we came up with that idea - but for whatever reason they were unable to patent it or claim it as their own". You can't shout at the rival company for using the same idea since the technology is out there and in the public-domain, but you know exactly where it came from. Even if you can't go to their door and flat-out accuse them.

It's a thorny issue, but I didn't mean to get anyone's back up. It's just a "what if" type scenario.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

hmm, doesn't seem fair
Try telling that to all the mediocre playrights that Shakespeare ripped off.

Try telling that to the bloke who invented 'whimwhams for grinding smoke' but overslept so his naughty cousin
got to the patent office before he did.

One of the worst pieces of damage that Christianity has done to our culture is made us tell children all about
the idea of 'fairness', and, by implication, that the world is a fair place.

My reading of the Gospels is that Jesus stated quite clearly that the world is extremely unfair, and that it
would be (and should be) a far, far better place if everyone treated everyone else fairly: Marxists say much the
same thing: but, unfortunately, when our ancestors were mucking around in caves with few resources to go
round being fair probably meant dying: so, Yes, it would be wonderful if the world were fair, and everyone treated everyone else
fairly: but it isn't, and that is a really mistaken reading of human nature.

So, if Paul does something extremely clever in OXT and the 'people up the road' think, "That's clever." and decide to
implement that thing themselves; as long as they are not simply "nicking code" directly from OXT [and, inspite of
some slightly negative opinions I may hold about some people, I do not see any of those people as that sort],
but merely imitating functionality, I really cannot see anything wrong with it. I, also, don't think it is unfair: and in the
scenario mentioned, it should, surely, be seen as extremely high praise indeed.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

My purpose in this thread is to demonstrate that the 'people round the corner' are, in my opinion, indulging in some
woolly and rather short-sighted thinking: NOT to suggest they are dishonest (mainly because I don't think they are).

That distinction is important.

I believe that that woolly and rather short-sighted thinking may have fatal consequences.

BUT that is my opinion, and anyone who wants is more than welcome to take issue with all or part of it:
particularly as I am aware that adopting dogmatic positions (especially if one is not in command of all
the 'facts') is rarely, if ever, valuable.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/