Forum rules
Be kind.
richmond62

A type of schizophrenia

Post by richmond62 »

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 10.28.46 am.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 10.28.46 am.png (77.31 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
-
According to them that know, Xavvi and LC will NOT depend on each other, and there should be no need to use either one to work on stuff produced by the other.

AND, supposedly it will be possible:
to download the stacks from Xavvi and open them in the (licensed) LC IDE.
As, at present Xavvi is supposed to produce stuff for the interweb, and LiveCide is not [side-skipping the stalled standalone for HTML 5 thingy?], it is hard to see much interoperability at all.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
FourthWorld

Re: A type of schizophrenia

Post by FourthWorld »

richmond62 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:29 am ...LiveCide...
;)
it is hard to see much interoperability at all.
Not merely hard, impossible. It can't be seen at all, as it doesn't exist yet.

At the moment it's exactly as useful - and merits as much attention - as SuperCard for Windows and HyperCard 3.0.

When Xavvi is released it will become possible to determine what it is.

Along the way, given the accelerating rate of change with "AI", technically and legislatively, expect radical change to any plan, with any product, from any company.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Um: sorry about "LiveCide" . . . certainly unintentional, even if a bit funny.
as useful - and merits as much attention - as SuperCard for Windows and HyperCard 3.0.
If that is a fact I wonder why quite a few folk felt it merited rather more money than either SuperCard for Windows and HyperCard 3.0 ?
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I am looking forward to when (if?) Xavvi is released trying the free version out via a browser on a machine I have
running Haiku.
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

richmond62 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:45 am Um: sorry about "LiveCide" . . . certainly unintentional, even if a bit funny.
I'd thought it was a cleverly intentional commentary on the decision to abandon nearly all marketing for LiveCode since LCFM forward.
as useful - and merits as much attention - as SuperCard for Windows and HyperCard 3.0.
If that is a fact I wonder why quite a few folk felt it merited rather more money than either SuperCard for Windows and HyperCard 3.0 ?
The degree to which something merits attention can be nothing more than opinion. The only fact there is that Xavvi isn't a shipping product.

Whether one is inclined to invest much of their attention in something they cannot evaluate is a personal choice, perhaps inversely proportionate to how much they'd earlier planned business decisions around SC/Win or HC 3.

For myself, I nearly lost my business betting it on SC/Win. My policy since has been to enjoy any product announcement for exactly what is is, aspiration, and maintain focus on things I can evaluate in my hands today.

As a side note, having watched Apple's demo of HC3 from their WWDC that year ('97?), and having worked closely with Allegiant during the years they were working on SC/Win, I believe an inflation-adjusted comparison of investments would show several times more put into those than was raised in Xavvi's crowdfunding.
mwieder

Post by mwieder »

I'd thought it was a cleverly intentional commentary on the decision to abandon nearly all marketing for LiveCode since LCFM forward.
LOL. I see from the crowdfunding page that some of the money raised is going to "marketing", so maybe the no-code approach needs more of a PR push.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

some of the money raised is going to "marketing"
Some of the money may just be being used to pay day-to-day bills.

LC are not exactly transparent.

This would seem to be their largest problem: I am not entirely sure why people would donate money when it has not ALREADY been explained how it is going to be spent: and then, as whatever kickstarter (there have been several) 'progresses' there should be a proper audit trail.
mwieder

Post by mwieder »

I think paying day-to-day bills in the process of getting new technology out the door is a legitimate use of resources.
I'm not concerned about that, as it helps ensure that LC will be around for a while longer to do whatever they do.
Maybe some more bugs will get fixed. Ya never know.

I'm still mystified about how Xavvi can work without an underlying LC engine, since apparently Xavvi and LC are going to be separate entities. I'm also not clear on whether there will be a separate team working on Xavvi or whether the existing team will pivot from working on LC to the new project - that would be a bit more worrisome.

But it's all conjecture at this point until we see something tangible come from Edinburgh.