Educator Submission

For discussion of xTalk topics related to education.
TerryL

Educator Submission

Post by TerryL »

To Paul: below are submission updates and pdf for review. Thanks for considering them. I appreciate your time and effort on OXT. Terry Edit: sorry, after 20 tries attachment upload still fails. I'll email.
TerryL

Re: Educator Submission

Post by TerryL »

To Paul: I'll assume you got the files I emailed. I was still working on a card I couldn't make simple enough for grade school kids, but eventually turned out OK. Attached is the update. Terry

Edit: uploads only seem possible after initial submit (which takes two tries).
Attachments
Submission 2 TerryL.zip
(8.28 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I still definitely want to include this stuff and your other submissions.
My plan is eventually to include tutorial / educational / tips & tricks type stuff via ResourseCenter package.
I still intend to make the IDE much more modular and create some sort of package manager, which would replace multiple things in the IDE.

Simple basic animation demos that a kids interested in taking up programming would likely be very in to!
In fact it looks like you covered essential elements of a 'Jump & Run' 2D game!
Nice! Thanks!

I would say would I think it these could be made a bit more appealing to kids if some sort of sprite graphics were used as the 'player' object instead of the text letter 'A'. I'd be willing to work on designing some original graphics for such a thing.

I think OpenXTalk needs a mascot anyway, you know? Like the Apple 'Dog Cow', the Android 'Bot', the anthropomorphized Platypus-Devil of FreeBSD, or the Free Software Foundation's Wildebeast character.
overclockedmind

Post by overclockedmind »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:18 pm I still definitely want to include this stuff and your other submissions.
My plan is eventually to include tutorial / educational / tips & tricks type stuff via ResourseCenter package.
I still intend to make the IDE much more modular and create some sort of package manager, which would replace multiple things in the IDE.

Simple basic animation demos that a kids interested in taking up programming would likely be very in to!
In fact it looks like you covered essential elements of a 'Jump & Run' 2D game!
Nice! Thanks!

I would say would I think it these could be made a bit more appealing to kids if some sort of sprite graphics were used as the 'player' object instead of the text letter 'A'. I'd be willing to work on designing some original graphics for such a thing.

I think OpenXTalk needs a mascot anyway, you know? Like the Apple 'Dog Cow', the Android 'Bot', the anthropomorphized Platypus-Devil of FreeBSD, or the Free Software Foundation's Wildebeast character.
Hmm. Likey this idea. What's the objective idea that we want our mascot to convey to people? Clarus conveyed which way things were going to show up on the page (and quite well.) Android's.... is a droid, lol but it gets the point through, that here is the droid that helps you do stuff, like take pictures and make calls.

Maybe that sparks some creative makery. Hope so!
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
TerryL

Post by TerryL »

@ Paul: A mascot/logo image for OXT is a nice idea. If you made one I would be happy to include it, perhaps on the last card for grade school student creations.

I renamed and focused the animation stack just on simple alphabet letters with many small improvements. It turned out OK and may rival the Scratch pdf because it's interactive. The updated stack is attached below. Thanks for considering it. Terry

Edit: Sorry, I have trouble uploading files. I'll email it again.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

TerryL wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:24 pm To Paul: below are submission updates and pdf for review. Thanks for considering them. I appreciate your time and effort on OXT. Terry Edit: sorry, after 20 tries attachment upload still fails. I'll email.
OK great, thank you!