SuperCard

A place to discuss any and all xTalk implementations, not just LC LCC Forks, but HyperCard, SuperCard, MetaCard, Gain Momentum, Oracle MediaTalk, OpenXION, etc.
Forum rules
Please limit any bashing/harping on any commercial interests to a minimum, thanks!
OpenXTalkPaul

SuperCard

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

SuperCard (commonly referred to as SC by xTalk users) was the very first clone of HyperCard and it still exists in commercial form.
However SC is macOS only and it seems that it relies heavily on 32bit Carbon (macOS Classic) API and so it has not moved beyond 32bit and can not be ustilized directly on macOS versions above 10.14.6, although it seems some people are still using it via virtual machines (VM) on macOS 10.15+. That is a rather in eloquent solution in my opinion.

I could be wrong about some of that, if there are any current SC users here, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I did have a license at one point but I haven't looked at it in years (I think it was v.4.7.something last I looked) since finding out about and getting heavily into LCC.

One thing I liked about SuperCard, if I remember correctly, was that it retained compatibility with HyperCard's "playSentence" (exp. play harpsichord "c4q e5s g#w) in some form.

https://SuperCard.us

I just now tried to launch SuperCard 4.73 on macOS 10.14.6 and it won't take my serial number for some reason. It just quits and asks again on relaunch. Does anyone here know a fix for that?
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: SuperCard

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

It turns out the problem with my SuperCard serial number was my own mistake. I copied an already installed version from an old laptop to my current one, but didn't grab the part that goes into the Application Support folder. I'll be giving that a fresh spin when I get a chance!