Top 10 Programming Languages of 2021

All sorts of amusements and nonsense unrelated to xTalk
xAction

Top 10 Programming Languages of 2021

Post by xAction »

Top 10 Programming Languages in 2021
Based on data scrapped from Github repositories.
richmond62

Re: Top 10 Programming Languages of 2021

Post by richmond62 »

Well, apart from the fact that a simple list would have been a lot better than that bloke burbling on
as if he'd stopped off in Colorado for some &^%$, I, personally was unsurprised and did not feel it in
any way contributed to anything related to myself.

OK, that's a very selfish way of looking at things.

BUT: I am a selfish person, and so is a very large proportion of humanity.

1. I am NOT a computer programmer qua computer programmer [I know what those are and what
they do because I own a flat where 3 of them live and, most of the time, work; as well as sending ex-pupils of mine
who are had the "Richmond Intro to Progging via BASIC and LiveCode" to various out-sourcing companies to
"learn to speak with a deep voice" as one of the managers said to me.], but I do make computer programs,
largely for a niche market where LiveCode provides what I need.

2. I would NOT want to use LiveCode to connect with other "stuff" on other computers and "do things" with
data delivered by those other computers: when I make a standalone it is intended to stand alone: an island
of processing largely unconnected with any thing else or some data flow from elsewhere.

#2 is what I regard as LiveCode's strength; but that strength may not be what most markets want.

Realising that, chasing the "top of the pops" of programming languages is a bit like all those people
hunting the Snark: it did them no good at all.

So, we should regard LC, OXT, "Bazonkers Card", or whatever, as a particular programming language that involves
a particular way of programming, rather than one of those "one size fits all but involves an initial steep learning
curve" languages such as C#, Ruby, Java and so on.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:41 am Based on data scrapped from Github repositories.
Knowing the way that GitHub's algorithm scapes for coding languages I'd say that's probably really inaccurate data.
xAction

Post by xAction »

20,000 developers with code on github were surveyed, that's where the data comes from.
As of November 2021, GitHub reports having over 73 million developers and more than 200 million repositories (including at least 28 million public repositories).
Some data sure is better than no data.