HyperCard Boot System 7

All sorts of amusements and nonsense unrelated to xTalk
astu

HyperCard Boot System 7

Post by astu »

I browsed a little on the net and came across the following on Archive.org.... Something for the "old schoolers" among us:

https://archive.org/details/HyperCardBootSystem7
GitHub: https://github.com/Hoerwi

OpenXTalkPaul

Re: HyperCard Boot System 7

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Yup, that's running in-browser via the emulator PCE.js

There's a MASSIVE collection of HyperCard stacks on Archive.org 1000s of them.

And yet I know I have old HC stacks that are not on there!
I've got several large collections in my archives, like the AMUG multi-CD-rom collections, and stuff I collected on the AOL.com HC forum and the Internet. And then there's my own unreleased stacks and XCMDs (actually my "CursoDo" was released on AMUG 16 collection)
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

I collected tons of CD-ROMs of HC archives back in the day, and amassed a vast collection of downloads as well.

A few years ago I devoted a couple days to going through them to look for things which might be useful converted to LC for modern audiences.

Didn't turn up any.

Informational stacks like the great Hypertextbook series have been more than replaced by Wikipedia and other web resources.

Most productivity tools from back then have either been replaced my more modern things or no longer make as much sense in our multi-user, multi-device world.

Most HC utilities were so specific to HC they have little to offer an LC user. Indeed, many were workarounds for features now built into the LC engine and IDE.

If you find a gem in those 30 year old archives I overlooked, I would sincerely be interested in seeing what it brings to this third decade of the 21st century.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

FourthWorld wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:45 pm I collected tons of CD-ROMs of HC archives back in the day, and amassed a vast collection of downloads as well.

A few years ago I devoted a couple days to going through them to look for things which might be useful converted to LC for modern audiences.

Didn't turn up any.

Informational stacks like the great Hypertextbook series have been more than replaced by Wikipedia and other web resources.

Most productivity tools from back then have either been replaced my more modern things or no longer make as much sense in our multi-user, multi-device world.

Most HC utilities were so specific to HC they have little to offer an LC user. Indeed, many were workarounds for features now built into the LC engine and IDE.

If you find a gem in those 30 year old archives I overlooked, I would sincerely be interested in seeing what it brings to this third decade of the 21st century.
I've done occasional dives like that over the years, I've found a few cool things beyond my own stacks, which obviously were cool in a timeless manner, lol :D

Besides the MIDI experiments including a patch librarian for a Yamaha FB-01 analog synth modules (which you can get free Software emulations of now that will import that data), I made a few games and externals... a kid's card matching game, a 3D Maze Game (used an external to render simple ray-cast rooms generated from an ASCII "map"), a Blackjack Game with vector cards graphics (a font) which I rebuilt in LC with full color SVG graphics, a Website Editor (HTML 2.x era), a stack that writes Postscript files from scratch (part of my prepress tools stack), a stack that controls QuarkXPress with a ton of AppleScripts (most of which should still work if I still had QuarkXpress), and then there's things like my Rhythm Grid and Virtual BASS Guitar Stack started as unfinished HyperCard stacks.

I remember a while back I found this stack simply showed how to get a bitfield from an arbitrary byte length of data using just HyperTalk, I already understood the concept, and I'm sure it's well documented online in Wikipedia exactly how to do that, but I found that interesting to see how to approach that without having any binaryDecode syntax available. I image that would be useful even as pseudo code for a student to look at. I recently implemented a similar conversion in Builder where I there is not a direct way to convert a four char OStype code into a 32bit integer.

True that a lot of stuff you once needed an external for moved from being resource add-ons XCMDs/XFCNs to being either integrated into the engine/IDE, or are now otherwise replaceable with integrated things ( such as sub-stacks for making palettes and funky dialog boxes), and I'mm still finding syntax that I didn't realize was available, but still not everything. "Builder" wouldn't exist if it could already do anything and everything, and do it at acceptable speed, or do it in it's own thread.

I'll give you an example off the top of my head that has no LiveCode equivalent, HyperMIDI...the only thing close to an equivalent of that (but still not yet feature parity) was my doing. There was also a GUI external that I used with it that had some nice custom sliders you could adjust in a sort of mouse swiping action (think like 10-Band EQ controls on a stereo), those can be done now without an add-on. My first LC based (non-widget) Mouse-Piano palette was practically a direct port of some of the stuff I was doing back when.

And at any rate, even if the reason is "Retro stuff is cool", as is the case for Archive.org (and for me still having those CDROMS), well that's good enough reason for me.

Interestingly, I see that apparently LC's 9.6.6 build fixes the bug where the Engine crashes when opening HyperCard stacks. I wonder what prompted a bug report that originated in 2009 to get any attention? Was it the bug survey? And did they fix the importing or did they just stop it from crashing the engine? At any rate, between Emulators, SuperCard, and the OXT redirect of HC Stacks to HyperCardPreview.app, my HyperCard "needs" are more than met.
astu

Post by astu »

I just found it very interesting to see where it all came from.
I come from the Windows world. For me, in the past, the BASIC languages and Delphi were the languages for my system.
But it is also good to see where the language I use comes from. And for me as a Windowsian Archive.org is just perfect.
GitHub: https://github.com/Hoerwi

OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

astu wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:09 am I just found it very interesting to see where it all came from.
I come from the Windows world. For me, in the past, the BASIC languages and Delphi were the languages for my system.
But it is also good to see where the language I use comes from. And for me as a Windowsian Archive.org is just perfect.
I would just like to point out that HC running on PCE.js in a browser is not a very good representation of a HyperCard Experience back when, IMO. I had tons of XCMDs/XFCNs for extended HC's capabilities, which were needed because HC's core engine features were never really expanded much by Apple/Claris (even Color rendering was added via Xternals), but advances in technologies were exploding around it and CPUs getting much faster. My favorites were the Sound/Music/MIDI related ones. I had direct communications capabilities with my MIDI Keyboards and Sound Modules (which I've replaced with software emulations now).