oXt, the forum sections and their usage

All sorts of amusements and nonsense unrelated to xTalk
tergolap

oXt, the forum sections and their usage

Post by tergolap »

Good day!

Just came here recently and to be honest: I'm not sure about some structures/sections of the forum. This might be related to my little knowledge of oXt-systems in general. So, here are my questions:

There is an effort to provide an oXt-environment based on LiveCode Community Edition (Open Source). This shall be "cleaned" from LC branding and eventually get some bug fixes and new features.
  1. Is there an overview, what's the current status?
  2. Is there an overview, what are open tasks and what they are related to and how one can pick these? Currently, I can't find my bearings.
  3. Is there an overview/guide where one can find most recent builds for download and testing? If not, is there a manual on how to setup a tool chain build oXt?
  4. Are there Logos/Banners/etc. one could use for promotion of oXt?
Forum sections and their planned usage.
  1. The sections seem to me - as an oXt newbie - to have a "high level" view. If I want to ask a question regarding oXt-programming language, where would I ask it? I guess more people who are still use LC CE might show up unless an oXt-build is ready for usage. They might have questions too. Are these user ment to show up at the official LC board, though their software is not supported anymore?
  2. When learning new things, I tend to write small tutorials/manuals myself. Is there a distinct point where they could be posted to / linked?
Thank you.
Cheers,

T.

I'm not a native speaker, but I try my best.
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: oXt, the forum sections and their usage

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tergolap wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:18 am Good day!

Just came here recently and to be honest: I'm not sure about some structures/sections of the forum. This might be related to my little knowledge of oXt-systems in general.
The forum just sort of grew organically as I needed new sections for different topics.
tergolap wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:18 am So, here are my questions:

There is an effort to provide an oXt-environment based on LiveCode Community Edition (Open Source). This shall be "cleaned" from LC branding and eventually get some bug fixes and new features.
  1. Is there an overview, what's the current status?
  2. Is there an overview, what are open tasks and what they are related to and how one can pick these? Currently, I can't find my bearings.
  3. Is there an overview/guide where one can find most recent builds for download and testing? If not, is there a manual on how to setup a tool chain build oXt?
  4. Are there Logos/Banners/etc. one could use for promotion of oXt?
All of the changes are automatically documented by GitHub when they're pushed to the repos but there really isn't a list, mostly because I'm not a very well organized person, but I know what I've worked on and could provide a summary.
There is also some OXT artwork files in the IDE's repo:
https://github.com/OpenXTalk-org/OpenXt ... nicEdition
There is documentation on building the Engines from source which is in the Engine's repo:
https://github.com/OpenXTalk-org/OpenXT ... 963.1/docs
tergolap wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:18 am Forum sections and their planned usage.
  1. The sections seem to me - as an oXt newbie - to have a "high level" view. If I want to ask a question regarding oXt-programming language, where would I ask it? I guess more people who are still use LC CE might show up unless an oXt-build is ready for usage. They might have questions too. Are these user ment to show up at the official LC board, though their software is not supported anymore?
  2. When learning new things, I tend to write small tutorials/manuals myself. Is there a distinct point where they could be posted to / linked?
Thank you.
Some good points there, thanks!
OXT is not supported by LC Ltd, and so OXT users should NOT confuse this FOSS project with a commercial product that is supported by that company, nor should they bother them with any problems specific to the OXT fork spun off from the LC Community Edition. Those people already have enough problems supporting paying customers.

I do think it's a good idea to have something like a "users-helping-users" section, maybe with subcategories such as complete beginners, novice, intermediate, etc.

You should be able to upload files on this forum. I'm happy to have any contribution efforts we can get.
If you want to contribute on a lower-level with the OXT project source code then you will need to use GitHub.