Being Off-Topic in Off Topic (a Discord server)

All sorts of amusements and nonsense unrelated to xTalk
overclockedmind

Being Off-Topic in Off Topic (a Discord server)

Post by overclockedmind »

should we have a Discord server? I get why NOT to have one, everything we say is saved for posterity later on. But many of you sound like kindred souls; what if we just wanted to let it all hang out? (NOT LITERALLY)

Thoughts?
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
overclockedmind

Re: Being Off-Topic in Off Topic (a Discord server)

By the way, I didn't mean "RIGHT NOWZ" at all. How we let people in (through here, I'd wager) and a lot of other things would require discussion. I'm sure Paul gets it with his struggle against the bots. And we'd need counter-bots, which I'm sure I could figure out if I tore into Discord's documentation, but I vote myself OUT as head of anything except Nothing. I also limit my salary (rambling) to $0.00 (aka, NOTHING) from this moment forward. I'm disabled, it'd just screw with everything I have to report to them; and now I have the freedom to suggest stuff.

Merch? T-shirts? Patreon? How can we spread word, organically, and bring in the revenue for some devs in areas we need them, if so needed. or the interest in the meaning of OXT? Sorry, I know that's more than one off-topic notion at once. It's just the way my head works.

Those are my first ideas... that may or may not fit, yet.
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

I was very excited about Discord for many reasons, until I stumbled across this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5X6iLHzqAI

Now I should say up front I freaking HATE anything but trivial entertainment available in video form ONLY. Makes it unnecessarily hard to research and cross-reference claims, which is often exactly why it's the preferred method for sharing disinformation.

That said, the opening premise relies on nothing more than a logic question: if there are no fees and no ad revenue, what keeps the servers running?

So at the moment I'm merely skeptical. My current stance on Discord is "hold", and when I'm finished cross-checking the claims presented there I'll either resume my former enthusiasm, or share the results of my research far and wide.
overclockedmind

FourthWorld wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:11 pm I was very excited about Discord for many reasons, until I stumbled across this:

Now I should say up front I freaking HATE anything but trivial entertainment available in video form ONLY. Makes it unnecessarily hard to research and cross-reference claims, which is often exactly why it's the preferred method for sharing disinformation.

That said, the opening premise relies on nothing more than a logic question: if there are no fees and no ad revenue, what keeps the servers running?

So at the moment I'm merely skeptical. My current stance on Discord is "hold", and when I'm finished cross-checking the claims presented there I'll either resume my former enthusiasm, or share the results of my research far and wide.
I've myself said "how many ways really, REALLY... do we need to communicate? We have so many choosing one is part of the communicating." I'd certainly be up to finding out what you discover, let us know.

In addition... I was like lost with the simplest of things to do with the Discord thing for like hours. So you'll not find me defending them. It's just en vogue, make it a IRC server if you like.
overclockedmind

overclockedmind wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:02 pm
FourthWorld wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:11 pm I was very excited about Discord for many reasons, until I stumbled across this:

I've myself said "how many ways really, REALLY... do we need to communicate? We have so many choosing one is part of the communicating." I'd certainly be up to finding out what you discover, let us know.

In addition... I was like lost with the ability to do the simplest of things on Discord thing for like hours. So you'll not find me defending them. It's just en vogue, make it a IRC server if you like.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

overclockedmind wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:44 am should we have a Discord server? I get why NOT to have one, everything we say is saved for posterity later on. But many of you sound like kindred souls; what if we just wanted to let it all hang out? (NOT LITERALLY)

Thoughts?
I'm kind of 'hold' on Discord myself.

There is a 'HyperCard' Discord, I almost went for.

I'm not sure how that works, but I only like communications where I can edit what I post after posting it, which is why I never liked using the 'use-list'. I make way too many spelling and grammatical mistakes to go for something that doesn't allow editing and thoroughly proof reading first feels too much like my 'day job' work :-) . Also, occasionally I change my mind on sharing certain thoughts.