HTML5 xTalk Engine

Organizing tasks to work on, New Features Ideas, Building LCS & LCB Libraries & Widgets, Redecorating and Modifying the IDE, Hacking / Editing Tools, Compiling the Engine from Source, etc.
OpenXTalkPaul

HTML5 xTalk Engine

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Unbranding the HTML5/Emscripten deploy files was easy, but there's two spots where SVG artwork could be inserted.
The obvious one that's now just a word balloon in the top left of the screenshot, and an empty spot that gets drawn in the lower left of the engine's canvas div, which used as a button for downloading the web app to disk.
Screen Shot 2022-07.png
Screen Shot 2022-07.png (366.99 KiB) Viewed 7183 times
I also 'prettified' (un-minified) the engine file, standalone-community-9.6.3.js, to make it more human readable.
It went from 28.7mb (4mb zip compressed) up to 58.6mb! That's a lot of whitespace! Atom gets all sorts of laggy when editing it. Very interesting stuff there.

Need to find compression tool to extract / compress memory-based filesystem NodeFS (the standalone-community-9.6.3.html.mem file, which contains your apps stack files, resources and any other inclusions).

I'm going to try to squeeze in some time to do some experiments with the HTML5/Emscripten engine, in particular I'de like to see if I can package it as a Standalone Desktop app with some JavaScript App Engine such as Electron. If we could do that we would have a very portable xTalk app engine that can also talk JavaScript but not be as restricted as a sandboxed web app, right?
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: HTML5 xTalk Engine

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

DeRebranded with new SVG (placeholders, can make it pretty later.
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 10.52.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 10.52.06 PM.png (650.89 KiB) Viewed 7176 times
overclockedmind

Post by overclockedmind »

Are we exploring these options as future things, or before we start, we start in multiple pathways?
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

overclockedmind wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:45 am Are we exploring these options as future things, or before we start, we start in multiple pathways?
The Emscripten Engine already exists as a deploy option from the IDE, so why not treat 'HTML5' as equally important as Linux or any other platform? It's an xTalk engine that runs in most modern web rendering engines ( not necessarily a web-browser ) and can already run JS as 'alternativeLanguage' with 'do myJSScript as javascript', and in the process gains access to the outer DOM and WebAPIs. It certainly could be expanded on greatly! I implemented a basic TTS 'speak' command (as 'say') with three lines of JavaScript. I think there's some amazing potential in this.

Now that I've realized I can easily test the Emscripten engine on any mac Safari with Dev menu turned on, I've been playing with around with JS more than I have in a long time. I put together a OpenXTalk 'playground' stack to test what works and what doesn't (the Emscripten 9.6.3 isn't entirely complete).
I wonder if I could host it with a GitHub .io (Markdown) site?

Here's what that playground currently looks like:
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.33.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 9.33.31 AM.png (318.31 KiB) Viewed 7158 times
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

What does BELLOW mean?

Spelling mistakes need to be ironed out.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:00 pm What does BELLOW mean?

Spelling mistakes need to be ironed out.
Yeah that's frequently a problem for me.
The Stack / GUI is just for testing what syntax (both xTalk and JavaScript) works when running in browser.