Redesigning the IDE

Organizing tasks to work on, New Features Ideas, Building LCS & LCB Libraries & Widgets, Redecorating and Modifying the IDE, Hacking / Editing Tools, Compiling the Engine from Source, etc.
overclockedmind

Redesigning the IDE

Post by overclockedmind »

So, in another discussion, it was brought up that we didn't want the IDE to look like "a certain commercial software's [product.]" Sorry, that's paraphrased based on what I remember. Then another person chipped in that well, that commercial product says they are redesigning their UI to this" with a picutre that made my eyeballs scream.

It doesn't help update the engine any, but aren't we forgetting that the user interface, as it stands, are *stacks?* So great, if we don't like it, we can rearrange things, relabel menus, maximize screen real estate, and other such things (not just to do it, but to end up with better than what was there before.) Guess I'm looking for two things: if I'm missing the boat on my idea, and who would be on-board for it.

The only reason I can see for NOT doing it is because it's simply an emperor in new clothes; the build engine's the same with a coat of paint on it; well, that's not very desirable, then is it?

Let me know what you think, whatever way you're thinking.
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
richmond62

Re: Redesigning the IDE

Post by richmond62 »

I like the IDE as is, and what I have seen of the new IDE leaves me completely, and utterly cold.

As far as I am concerned the current IDE is just fine: that is so long as we actually get a cross-platform,
fully functional version of a delabelled thing at all . . . which I am beginning to seriously doubt.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
overclockedmind

Re: Redesigning the IDE

Post by overclockedmind »

richmond62 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:00 pm I like the IDE as is, and what I have seen of the new IDE leaves me completely, and utterly cold.

As far as I am concerned the current IDE is just fine: that is so long as we actually get a cross-platform,
fully functional version of a delabelled thing at all . . . which I am beginning to seriously doubt.
Agreed on the new IDE. I can just see that one palette taking up 1/5 to 1/4 of my display. Senseless.
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon