Bring back the userLevel keyword for educators/students

Organizing tasks to work on, New Features Ideas, Building LCS & LCB Libraries & Widgets, Redecorating and Modifying the IDE, Hacking / Editing Tools, Compiling the Engine from Source, etc.
OpenXTalkPaul

Bring back the userLevel keyword for educators/students

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Bring back the userLevel keyword for Educators.
This is a feature HyperCard had that locked users out from certain tools and features, it had 1 - 5 level property, 1 being a browse/player only mode, and 5 being full access to everything HC could do.

I imagine this would be very useful for someone teaching young kids, 3 to 13 yrs old age groups I guess.
This could be made into something of a learning game, where once the student completes a certain coding challenge they unlock new features (just like video games do). This could be unlocked to full as needed by the teacher via password in the HomeStack/Start Center or maybe in the preferences window.

These things might require a separate special build of the IDE, not sure about that?
xAction

Re: Bring back the userLevel keyword for educators/students

Post by xAction »

I think you should have a stack that toggles all the avilable UI elements from menus to toolbars, to opening various windows.

Then an educator can deploy the product of that stack to the user machines either manually or by running a maintenance script from within the preferences with a

Code: Select all

go stack url "location of the admin  controlled preferences stack"
command at start up, this URL would be placed in a field of the preferences, and/or via a saved preferences stack mass deployed across the network.

On day 1 let the kids doodle with the paint tools, day 2 they type polygon names into an input field and produce the corresponding graphic, day 3 they make a mess with buttons, day 4 they learn scrollbars, etc, step by step the teacher/admin can turn on those tools and have premade scripts loaded via commands included with that main prefence stack to use in examples long before opening the script editor.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

This could be set in the preferences stack.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:04 am I think you should have a stack that toggles all the avilable UI elements from menus to toolbars, to opening various windows.

Then an educator can deploy the product of that stack to the user machines either manually or by running a maintenance script from within the preferences with a

Code: Select all

go stack url "location of the admin  controlled preferences stack"
command at start up, this URL would be placed in a field of the preferences, and/or via a saved preferences stack mass deployed across the network.

On day 1 let the kids doodle with the paint tools, day 2 they type polygon names into an input field and produce the corresponding graphic, day 3 they make a mess with buttons, day 4 they learn scrollbars, etc, step by step the teacher/admin can turn on those tools and have premade scripts loaded via commands included with that main prefence stack to use in examples long before opening the script editor.
This is more along the lines that I was thinking about, a modular approach. I wouldn't want this in my own copy of the IDE, but I would want in my 12yrd old son's copy of the IDE.

Maybe this could be a plug-in rather than being integrated into the IDE / preferences

Ugh, more branding to remove!
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 9.43.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 9.43.41 AM.png (103.19 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
This reminds me of another subject I wanted to talk about, having a package-manager-like thing similar to what Linux package managers do (but without all of that compiling source and dependency-problems nonsense). If you've used Atom, the popular source code text editor, it has a package manager (which BTW actually has an LCS/LCB/revIgniter add-on!) of the sort I'm thinking about. But I'll make new topic for that idea.