CopyLeft

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
richmond62

CopyLeft

Post by richmond62 »

How do we know where to replace copyright notices about what belongs to LiveCode
with copyleft signs?
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: CopyLeft

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:01 pm How do we know where to replace copyright notices about what belongs to LiveCode
with copyleft signs?
That's the big question, I think someone is going to have to ask someone at LC Ltd. about what exactly MUST we keep as far as Copyright notices that will satisfy while we unbrand/rebrand?

And separately what CAN we keep? Because I don't want to have to rename widgets & libraries that are named com.livecode.whatever.widget because it will likely break existing stacks that use those things (but if we have to, we could make an IDE script that looks for and replaces those names with new name org.openxtalk.whatever.widget)
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

All that I am about to write is probably utter nonsense as I am not a lawyer
(whoops, nearly wrote 'liar' there):

While 'LiveCode Community' was LiveCode Community (existential pause here for deep breath)
it was Open Source and contained components from LiveCode that had previously been
closed source from before the launch of LiveCode Community (fudge that one, from now
on I shall refer to LCC).

Now, as we 'ravage' LCC and turn it into OpenXTalk (a bit like unhitching a dinghy from
a ship) it will continue to contain a lot of components from LC that had previously been
closed source from before the launch of LCC.

As these components still will have their origins where they had them prior to any
forking/unhitching/decoupling I wonder whether it really is a legal necessity to
change their names at all.

Certainly my feeling is that we should rename as few of the components as we can
get away with as it is obvious that renaming things leads to all sorts of knock-on
consequences.

I am of a conservative cast of mind, and while these forums (err, 'fora'?) have filled
up with all sorts of gung-ho messages about transforming LCC out of all recognition
I favour transforming the thing as little as possible, and then affording any one
who wants to to "fiddle, diddle and piddle" around with the result as much as they
want to to create "Karate Wado-Kai" rather than "Karate Wado-Rui", or even
"Karate transformed out of all recognition", but based and built on an ongoing
conservative standard.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:59 am I am of a conservative cast of mind, and while these forums (err, 'fora'?) have filled
up with all sorts of gung-ho messages about transforming LCC out of all recognition
I favour transforming the thing as little as possible, and then affording any one
who wants to to "fiddle, diddle and piddle" around with the result as much as they
want to to create "Karate Wado-Kai" rather than "Karate Wado-Rui", or even
"Karate transformed out of all recognition", but based and built on an ongoing
conservative standard.
I've been called radical liberal, as a slur, but these days that's really not a very difficult name to get called in the US where our 'left' is basically center / center-right of everywhere else (but I digress, must remember to keep geo-politics out of these forums). But the truth is there are some things that I'm conservative about, one of those things is conserving xTalk's basic properties. I think I need to make a sub-forum where we can sort out an OpenXTalk Manifesto of sorts because I'm getting tired and distracted by having essentially the same conversation with different people in multiple areas, in private messages, om social media, and various topics here...