OXT Lite .9 Release

A place to discuss and plan OpenSource xTalk (not exclusively LCC based)
and Community Builds of LCC ...Ask NOT what xTalk can do for you...
Get involved you DO have something to contribute, no matter your skillset!

Forum rules
A place to discuss and plan OpenSource xTalk (not exclusively LCC based) and Community Builds of LCC
Ask NOT what xTalk can do for you... get involved you DO have something to contribute, no matter your skillset!
TerryL

Re: OXT Lite .9 Release

Post by TerryL »

Making steady progress. Still on track for a mid-October release of Lite .91. Thank you tperry2x for the very nice contributions working on mac/linux. I appreciate the time and effort.

I'm stuck on two things:

o AutoUpdate. All update options in Preferences should be unchecked. Put this code in a button, all should be false (unchecked).
on mouseUp --LCC update options in preferences
put the cNotifyMeOfStableReleases of stack "revPreferences" into tStable
put the cNotifyMeOfMaintainenceReleases of stack "revPreferences" into tMain
put the cNotifyMeOfBetaReleases of stack "revPreferences" into tBeta
put the cNotifyMeOfDevelopmentReleases of stack "revPreferences" into tDev
answer "LCC Update Options In Preferences:" &cr& \
"Stable Releases =" &&tStable &cr& "Maintainence Releases =" &&tMain &cr& \
"Beta Releases =" &&tBeta &cr& "Development Releases =" &&tDev with "OK" titled "Updates"
end mouseUp

o Fix program name to appear in menubar on all platforms. There must be Mac specific code somewhere that revMenubar is pulling. Windows and I assume Linux show "OpenXTalk Lite .9". There can't be a separate stack "revMenubar" for Mac. Need help, tperry2x has fix?

OXT Lite To-Do List
x) Improve stack "revSplash" with new "Splash.png" and "Splash@extra-high.png". Done.
x) Fix stack "revAbout" copyright display. Done.
x) Verify Toolbar buttons work and Help > About/Legal work. Done.
x) Remove green LC banners in File > Standalone Settings, general and iOS cards. Done.
x) Update revTools with purple theme, make a preference. I used for a week, some people might like it. Since it involves six different code changes to revTools, it would be difficult to add as a preference. As a compromise, I made a default "revTools Gray" theme with an optional file swap to "revTools Purple" theme. (can't remove + and * btn green hilites) Done.

1) Fix program name to appear in menubar on all platforms. Need help, tperry2x has fix?
2) Remove tiny LC logo in menubar/stack. Is this "bubble" in toolset > resources > community > ideSkin? tperry2x has fix?
3) Dictionary has two "livecode" labels and stack is too big. If able to remove "livecode" labels, revMenubar code needs changed too.
4) Make .oxt extension with .livecode compatibility. Need help.
5) Update Release Notes list of platform minimum requirements. Need help.
6) OXT Lite Logo, .jpg/.png to .ico for Windows. Post my submission. Vote on submissions.
7) Add 64-bit re-compiled Engine and continue debrand dictionary database. Can Paul do this?
8) Turn off Edit > Preferences > Updates, to prevent auto-updating. Need help.
9) Blue LC icon in answer/ask dialogs. Should be fixed when application icon is changed.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

So?

Am I to assume that, by default, all of these prefs are checked:
-
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 19.56.22.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 19.56.22.png (692.04 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
-
IF so, then the 'problem' is to identify the livecodescript document that sets them.

AAAAAAAAH: not nearly as problematic as that:
-
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 20.04.05.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 20.04.05.png (5.21 MiB) Viewed 4260 times
-
1. Crack open the "revpreferencesgui.rev" stack and then the script of the card "Updates".

2. Set all those 'true' signals to 'false' in lines 16, 17, 18, and 19.

Save the stack [probably have to do this with the messageBox as the IDE won't want to do this via the normal Save menu item].

Oh, and while you are "at it" you could make all the 'guff' on the 'Updates' card invisible, and pop a static message there.
-
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 20.11.29.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 20.11.29.png (418.67 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

That modification [unlike a lot of other ones] 'sticks':
-
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 20.22.16.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 20.22.16.png (348.97 KiB) Viewed 4258 times
-
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 20.39.29.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-09 at 20.39.29.png (357.77 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
-
Attachments
revpreferencesgui.rev.zip
Hacked Prefs stack.
(37.94 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

TerryL wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:40 pm Fix program name to appear in menubar on all platforms. There must be Mac specific code somewhere... Need help, tperry2x has fix?
Certainly. Seems to be in the info.plist
https://tsites.co.uk/sites/openxtalk/ch ... .plist.zip
TerryL

Post by TerryL »

Making good progress on Lite .91, appears stable with Windows.
o Personal Hacks. I used tperry2x's contribution to make a default Gray Theme for revTools and revPaletteBehavior using "175,175,175", and kept the Toolbar icons default black. What do you think of a separate download "Personal Hacks" folder for "revTools Purple", "revPaletteBehavior Purple", "Toolbar Colors", and other submitted hacks? I like the idea of giving users personal choices. I'm easy and don't want to upset anyone. Try the Gray Theme attachment for a week. I'm open to suggestions.
*Edit: gave up trying to upload an attachment after 10 tries.
Gray Theme google shareable link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-JfSD8 ... sp=sharing
----

o Updates in Preferences. I unchecked the four checkboxes which set their custom props to false, then removed the Navigation link to the Updates card. My button code suggestion will show their current true/false setting. Are they not "false" on mac?

o I failed to remove "LiveCode Script" and "LiveCode Builder" in a Dictionary option button. They may be in revIDEFrameBehavior or revIDEEnsureDictionaryURL. They're not files, may be custom commands, but where?
I've already looked for "LiveCode Script" in revIDELibrary, revDictionary, revDictionaryBehavior, and dictionary_functions.js. Thought I solved it in revIDELibrary, but turned out no effect.

----
OXT Lite 9.1 To-Do List
x) Add new stack "revSplash" with new "Splash.png" and "Splash@extra-high.png". Done.
x) Fix stack "revAbout" copyright display. Done.
x) Verify Toolbar buttons work and Help > About/Legal work. Done.
x) Remove green LC banners in File > Standalone Settings, general and iOS cards. Done.
x) Add revTools/revPaletteBehavior with gray theme. Done. I used purple for a week, some users will like it. Since it involves six different code changes to revTools and four code changes to revPaletteBehavior for Inspector, they would be difficult to add as a preference. As a compromise, I made default gray themes with optional file swaps to purple from a "Personal Hacks" folder.
x) Add "Personal Hacks" folder for "revTools Purple", "revPaletteBehavior Purple", "Toolbar Colors", and any other submitted hacks. Done.
x) Fix program name to appear in menubar on all platforms. Done. Solved on mac by tperry2x with info.plist. [I changed info.plist to: "<string>OpenXTalk Lite 9.1</string>" to show the version number too. And where is this file placed?]
x) Turn off Edit > Preferences > Updates, to prevent auto-updating. Done. Solved on mac by tperry2x with "delete the binary or zip in mac standalone". [don't understand.]
x) Remove tiny LC logo in menubar/stack. Done. Solved for mac/linux by tperry2x. [How on windows?]
x) Fix blue LC icon in mac answer/ask dialogs. Should be fixed when application icon is changed. Done. Solved by tperry2x.

1) OXT Lite Logo, .jpg/.png to .ico for windows. Post/vote on all submission.
2) Remove "LiveCode Script" and "LiveCode Builder in a Dictionary option button. I give up.
3) Make .oxt extension with .livecode compatibility. Difficult project, is this really needed?
4) Update Release Notes list of platform minimum requirements. Need help.
5) Add 64-bit re-compiled Engine and continue debrand dictionary database. Can Paul do this?
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Well Done . . . but, please read the comments re using LC 961 rather than LC 963 elswhere in these forums.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm Making good progress on Lite .91, appears stable with Windows.
Thank you for testing this, as I have an aversion to Windows. I realise I need to put these personal preferences to one side when testing, but I don't have any Microsoft stuff in the house.
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm o Personal Hacks. I used tperry2x's contribution to make a default Gray Theme for revTools and revPaletteBehavior using "175,175,175",
Excellent - thanks for including this as an option.
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm ...and kept the Toolbar icons default black. What do you think of a separate download "Personal Hacks" folder for "revTools Purple", "revPaletteBehavior Purple", "Toolbar Colors", and other submitted hacks? I like the idea of giving users personal choices. I'm easy and don't want to upset anyone.
Same here. I don't want to inflict my changes on everyone who might not want them. This is partly my rationale with my changes directory, so that people can dip-into it and mix and match only the bits they want if they feel so inclined. I like the idea of being able to have a preference that would allow the user to choose 'mono' toolbar icons or 'coloured' toolbar icons from a popup menu in the preferences.
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm I failed to remove "LiveCode Script" and "LiveCode Builder" in Dictionary option button.
Think this had already been done by OpenXTalkPaul, so I've incorporated this into my modification of how the Dictionary is loaded. I'm currently working on an alternative way for it to load the dictionary after finding the browser widget in linux is extremely non-functional and broken. When I have that finalised, I'll let you know. I have it almost working, and using OpenXTalk Paul's dictionary from RC4 in the Lite version works, and does not show the "Livecode Script" or "LiveCode Builder" anymore.
https://www.openxtalk.org/forum/viewtop ... 3512#p3512
https://tsites.co.uk/sites/openxtalk/ch ... ictionary/
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm Fix stack "revAbout" copyright display. Done.
Verify Toolbar buttons work and Help > About/Legal work. Done.
Brilliant! This is something I think we really needed to do.
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm Remove green LC banners in File > Standalone Settings, general and iOS cards. Done.
When you did this, did you use my method of changing a false and true around?
https://www.openxtalk.org/forum/viewtop ... 3429#p3429
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm ... changed info.plist to: "<string>OpenXTalk Lite 9.1</string>" to show the version number too. And where is this file placed?]
It's in the mac app. You right-click the app > Show Package Contents > Contents > and it's in there.
info-plist-edit.png
info-plist-edit.png (80.42 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
info-plist-edit-2.png
info-plist-edit-2.png (57.83 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm x) Turn off Edit > Preferences > Updates, to prevent auto-updating. Done. Solved on mac by tperry2x with "delete the binary or zip in mac standalone". [don't understand.]
The only way I could stop the update process from trying (even though updates were turned off on the mac) was to zip the updater which runs as a seperate process on the mac.
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm x) Remove tiny LC logo in menubar/stack. Done. Solved for mac/linux by tperry2x. [How on windows?]
I have a nasty feeling this is in some .ico file embedded somewhere. I've not played around with the windows version as yet because I'm concentrating on the platforms I have access to. However, I will look to see if it's a resource that can be edited inside the binary exe.
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm OXT Lite Logo, .jpg/.png to .ico for windows. Post/vote on all submission.
Yes, didn't want to force my icon on anyone, but I had created two that work for Lite and the RC version. Again, it's up to anyone else if they want to use these.
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm Make .oxt extension with .livecode compatibility. Difficult project, is this really needed?
It would be really handy, otherwise all stacks created are ".livecode" which we are trying to move away from. There are no format changes between ".livecode" and ".oxtstack" files, just that OpenXTalk Paul has managed this in the RC versions he's built so far. I think by editing the bundle identifier on MacOS. Paul, please can you confirm?
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm Update Release Notes list of platform minimum requirements. Need help.
Myself and Richmond did have a discussion on here about which versions of Livecode / OXT would run on which version of MacOS. It does get a bit complicated, but I'll try and link that here.
https://www.openxtalk.org/forum/viewtop ... 3455#p3455
TerryL wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:13 pm Add 64-bit re-compiled Engine and continue debrand dictionary database. Can Paul do this?
Recompiling the engine is something that is a large task from what I understand. It is definitely needed to fix a lot of underlying flaws / vulnerabilities, but is not a small task. I also think using the engine from 9.6.1 is definitely a good step as it'll allow all platforms to build for 32-bit MacOS, which was removed in 9.6.2. Thereby opening the door to anyone who wants / needs to build for older MacOS. We would need the source from 9.6.1 and add any improvements shown in 9.6.3 into it without losing the 32-bit build targets.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Using my changes at:
https://www.tsites.co.uk//sites/openxtalk/changes.php
...and 9.6.1 Community as a base, please see a revised download for "OpenXTalk Lite 0.9":
Image Mac: https://www.tsites.co.uk//sites/openxta ... 0.9-osx.7z
Image Linux: https://www.tsites.co.uk//sites/openxta ... 9-linux.7z

This indeed does compile 32-bit applications under MacOS X. I've tested it in Mavericks 10.9, and would welcome any feedback. The install script should also deal with the intial user registration (removes that requirement).

@TerryL - I'd like to incorporate your changes to the about stacks and other mods too. Please can you advise me where I can download these. Your continued efforts are also very much appreciated.

Edit: 16/9/23 at 8:25 PM (GMT+0)
Might have found that Livecode Community 9.6.1 has issues running under Mac OS 12. I hope not, but more testing required by someone who has at least Mac OS 11 "Big Sur" or above.
TerryL

Post by TerryL »

@ tperry2x. Congratulations, you've put in a lot of effort for much progress. Nicely done.
1) My method for removing green banner: of revStandaloneSettingGeneralBehavior. Change line 53-64 with the following:
if revLicenseType() is among the items of "commercial,professional,community" then
put false into tShowTip
set the cIDE_SAGeneralTipShow of stack "revPreferences" to false
end if
2) Dictionary. This is good news debranding.
3) I'll make a Lite .91 link as soon as possible so you can have my latest stuff.
Edit. Here's the LCC Hack Lite .91 google shareable link: [url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c6_UTT ... sp=sharing[/url
----
@ Richmond. "That color thing" is added too. 'Nuff said.
----
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

TerryL wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 pm 1) My method for removing green banner
Thank you, I will take a look at this.
TerryL wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 pm ...Lite .91 link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c6_UTT ... sp=sharing
Thanks, will check that out properly when I have more time. I did have a quick look and you mention at point 15 in the instructions, you are unsure where the plist goes.
In case it got missed in previous comments / edits, it's here
TerryL wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 pm @ Richmond. "That color thing" is added too. 'Nuff said.
TerryL, Ah - okay, I see what you've changed. Tool hover hilite colour changed back to grey, & removed the colour fill that appears when you drag in an object from the tools palette.

viewtopic.php?p=3539#p3539
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Now confirmed working in MacOS 12, but you might have to (bizarrely enough), copy the installer to /Applications or your desktop first with the dmg mounted.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Now confirmed Cracked Richmond. 8-)
-
Richmond.jpg
Richmond.jpg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:27 pm Now confirmed Cracked Richmond.
To be honest, trying to get this to install on your mac nearly cracked me.
But that's the point of testing, to find any weird errant behaviour. If it happened for you, it could happen to someone else.
I'd like to iron it out, just wish I knew why that process was such a headache when it should have been simple.
TerryL

Post by TerryL »

I've taken OpenXTalk Lite as far as I'm able, so I've decided to go to a contribute role. I've been working on it steady five months and need a break. Also my laptop screen is going bad, I may be out for a while. Lite looks good. I'm happy to have started it. Please carry on. Terry

o A search in the windows LCC 9.6.3 folder for "autoupdate", "livecode.ico" and ".ico" came back empty.

o Version/Name Update Procedure For Windows.
Right-click desktop shortcut, open OXT Lite as administrator.
a) Edit "About.txt". Update version at start and end of text. Drag to runrev > LC Community folder.
(revAbout code auto-updates year for "(c) 2023 OpenXTalk.org").
b) Edit "Release Notes.pdf". Update version/IDE bug list. Drag to runrev > LC Community folder.
c) Edit revMenubar. In msg box: edit the script of the mouseStack, position mouse in Help menu, press returnKey. Find "OpenXTalk", update version, ctrl-S to save.
d) Edit revSplash. In msg box: open stack "revSplash", in msg box: select the mouseControl, place mouse in fld "Info", press returnKey, update version in Contents tab, ctrl-S to save, in msg box: close stack "revSplash".
e) Edit info.plist for Mac. Search for "OpenXTalk", update version.
micmac

Post by micmac »

Thank you for all your work Terry!

Where is your last version of your work?

Mic