OpenXTalk Lite - moving from 9.6.1 to 9.6.3 base...

Any Bug Fixes to OpenXTalk should get listed here so we can keep a list and offer thanks to contributors!
tperry2x

OpenXTalk Lite - moving from 9.6.1 to 9.6.3 base...

Post by tperry2x »

So as detailed elsewhere in these forum posts, I'm currently testing moving my OpenXTalk build back to something based on Livecode Community 9.6.3.

I did previous tests in a 9.6.1 base - and that was because 9.6.1 brought with it the ability to deploy to MacOS X 32-bit intel as well as 64-bit intel.

I've since been modifying various bits, and my initial testing shows that I can indeed build 32-bit standalones and 64-bit standalones for Mac, with a 9.6.3 base using my modifications.
build targets verification.png
build targets verification.png (88.99 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
These are not 'fat' binaries (universal), they are trimmed to the correct architecture as appropriate when you specify them in your standalone settings as normal:
963-32.png
963-32.png (175.3 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
So, that's the reason for doing this.
I wanted to up the version number slightly, so this will be 0.92 of OpenXTalk Lite.
This is just to set it apart from the 9.6.1 base, while I'm still testing and developing things.

In calling it 0.92, I didn't feel it was right to change the version number with only this build feature, so there are other bits I've been working on to make 0.92 worthy of a version increase.

These are:
The About Dialog. It now respects the system theme for however you have your computer configured (dark/light)
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (32.71 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
I slightly reworded the about file, but mostly this is using the text from TerryL in his original "LC-Hack". The version number of 0.92 is pulled from the about.dat file, which is in the same folder as the main OpenXTalk binary - so changing the version is as easy as editing this file with a text editor. This version number is also pulled from here on the splash screen and the title for the menubar stack, and can be loaded wherever the build version need be quoted.

Changes to the tools palette, and the inspector to have colour hilights when hovering over the buttons
I had experimented with these before, but my colour choice probably wasn't received well. It probably didn't help that I'd hard-coded them in. As such, these colours are now whatever the cToolSelector colour is set to in the preferences:
set colour in prefs.png
set colour in prefs.png (37.82 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
These are all live in my list of changes at: https://www.tsites.co.uk/sites/openxtalk/changes/
I've also been working on an easy way for anyone to create their own, based on a fresh install of Livecode Community 9.6.3 (download link:) https://community.livecode.com/9_6_3/
If you download my changes stack, you will be able to see the complete list of changes as I create them (I'd recommend downloading this now and again, as it doesn't auto-update via the internet).
changes.png
changes.png (103.02 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
The most important thing is you apply these changes in the order listed. If you don't, weird things could happen.
Always work on a copy of your Livecode / OpenXTalk installation.
As such, the best thing to do when modifying these files is to select a target - the app / program you'll be modifying:
select.png
select.png (22.15 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
When you've chosen a valid target, this will be saved so that you don't have to keep choosing the target each time. The tooltip will show you the path to your selected installation you've chosen to modify:
apply.png
apply.png (33.58 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Of course, you can change this at any time.

When you choose to apply any of these changes, a series of (terminal / command line) commands will be created in a new window.
The idea is you really don't want to modify the application while it's open, so there's a button to copy (mac/linux) or save as file (win) these commands. You can then paste them into the terminal / command line when you've made sure the target app is fully quit.
script.png
script.png (18.12 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Don't forget to run these commands as admin (open command prompt as administrator - windows), or sudo first (mac / linux) - this could avoid possible permissions errors.

This is a work in progress. As I say, important to work on a copy. Don't blame me if you managed to screw up your installation.
I'll also add in the ability to remove a change, but only BEFORE you run the generated command in a terminal window. After you run it, it's up to you to test further. This is how I'll be creating the Mac and Windows builds of OpenXTalk Lite 0.92 quite quickly - it takes some of the leg-work out of running the patches.
I may add the option to 'Apply all patches' in sequential date order.
There are some things it can't do - where folders are mentioned, it won't process these. These steps involving folders have to be done manually at the moment, but I'll add that in so it recognises them at a later date.

The full builds for OpenXTalk 0.92 for Mac, Linux and Windows should appear on my site by some time mid-week when I've conducted testing of them and am happy.
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: OpenXTalk Lite - moving from 9.6.1 to 9.6.3 base...

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

One thing I'd like to mention here, is that 9.6.1 previously could make three different types of standalones, 32bit, 64bit, or 32+64 Universal, but newer versions of macOS don't like universal binaries anymore.
It makes sense to separate them out, these days there's likely very little call for Mac Intel 32 bit binaries, the few Macs that might need it are 15+ years old now, lower end machines with original intel integrated video (GMA 945,GMA x3100) or MacPro 32bit EFI (which can be worked around patched with OpenCore).

I'll most likely change OpenXTalk DPE to match OXT Lite method, and will be looking into adding and even older PowerPC engine back into the macOS choices. (needs older stack format though).