Locked Threads

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
richmond62

Locked Threads

Post by richmond62 »

are in some ways a pain in the bum as, for instance, in the case of OXT Lite 0.93 there is no obvious place to report on the 'run-around' I went through this morning to get that upo-and-doing on my MAcOS Sonoma Mini.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
tperry2x

Re: Locked Threads

Post by tperry2x »

I locked that thread for a reason - because I want it to be free of comments as much as possible.
I wanted it to purely be a signpost for people looking for the 0.93 download, rather than having to scroll back through pages of comments. By all means, open a comments topic about your findings with it, but I was trying to keep that separate.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

OK . . . I went through "all the crud" this morning:
-
SShot 2023-11-03 at 10.29.27.png
SShot 2023-11-03 at 10.29.27.png (125.76 KiB) Viewed 404 times
-
Having codesigned the thing and still getting no result, the thing that got things working was
xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine
Now whether that worked 'on top' of the codesigning, or by itself, I have now idea.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Ah, good. I'm glad that worked.
As you know, I find this whole codesigning thing an absolute mysery and a Pain In The ****.

So, my instructions are probably a little overkill, but hopefully cover every eventuality if the OpenXTalk Lite App won't work for someone. It's all the tips from Tom and others, distilled down into a single read me.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

HOWEVER: How we are going to deliver anything to 90% of computer programming teachers (who know very little more than turning the machine on) or anyone else for that matter escapes me at the moment.
tperry2x

Re: Delivering to Teachers (and anyone else)

Post by tperry2x »

Hmm, delivering to Teachers (and anyone else for that matter) - that is the question. It's probably fair to say that LC haven't found the answer to that one either.

If we update the likes of Wikipedia with our fork mentioned, that will help to get it known. I guess it's just letting people know it's out there and available (and free) to use and experiment with.

How is the documentation coming along, as I know you previously sent me a page of it which we adjusted. If we have a user guide put together, then this will help.

Boring bit:
From the other standpoint, anyone deploying this in an organisation will look at the security aspects of it. While the CEF engine is old and outdated, (not mentioning all the other bits that the engine might use still), it would be frowned upon as far as deployment by IT teams if they were aware it might well contain vulnerabilities. This really needs sorting out, which is an engine recompile (and runtime recompile probably), so that anything made with it cannot be considered a security risk. (I say this, as I know this would be picked up on by our Centralised IT team straight away, if we were to try and deploy it at our school premises).

This will put off a lot of 'IT-Bods' from installing it.