Mitigation for Video "Player" bug on Linux

Any Bug Fixes to OpenXTalk should get listed here so we can keep a list and offer thanks to contributors!
richmond62

Re: Mitigation for Video "Player" bug on Linux

Post by richmond62 »

I'm stupid . . .
Here is the macOS X86_64 build of OpenXION as a standalone 'native' executable: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/openxi ... cOS_X86-64
I end up with a 7 KB document.

AND I cannot understand the 12.1 MB thing I get here:
-
SShot 2023-12-05 at 15.35.29.png
SShot 2023-12-05 at 15.35.29.png (27.04 KiB) Viewed 931 times
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:56 am
OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:15 pm ...I should build my own generic 'player/transport controller'. Which is something I've been thinking about trying for a while now.
Would that be based on a VLC back-end? If so, could it be cross-platform-savvy?
What I was thinking of was a 'Player' widget that is completely detached from any playback engine, so this same controller could be used to play, control play of, set 'marker points' on its timeline, and display progress of 'playing', etc, so that for example the same controller could show the playback of a MIDI file that's actually being played using AVMIDIPlayer or FluidSynth just the same, or edit card of a stack for a flip-book card-animation or edit the frames of an animated GIF just the same, or it could be used to set up the trimming of an uncompress Wave file on disk or trimming a compressed Mp3 using two different shell() commands – depending on file format used – to actual apply the edit(s). This widget would fire off standard messages like 'playbackFinished' and also be able to set times (via marker point) for the 'PlayController' to fire off customizable, arbitrary messages back to the scripting engine (callbacks), that you would then do the appropriate action using whatever the playback engine is. Perhaps these user-timer-events could even allow to trigger, evaluate, or execute xTalk scripts. Basically a generic visual timeline controller / editor, and as a plain old widget that would be inherently cross-platform.

Of course once that UI work was done, it could probably then be expanded on to include some 'native layer' display and some FFI hooks into some playback engine API (FFMPLAY!) to have a new Player control on-par with (or hopefully better than) the current 'classic' Player control.

VLC is built on and includes a bunches of libraries and so that would probably involve wrapping all of those, creating lots of FFI binding strings, not that it couldn't be done, its just LOTS of work.
I think I'm more in favor FFMPEG/FFMPLAY which I beleive depends on many of the same libraries that VLC does, but it also has nice command line builds that can be controlled with CLI params/switches and could maybe be run as subprocess(es) (in their own threads).
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:31 pm I'm stupid . . .
Here is the macOS X86_64 build of OpenXION as a standalone 'native' executable: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/openxi ... cOS_X86-64
I end up with a 7 KB document.

AND I cannot understand the 12.1 MB thing I get here:
-
SShot 2023-12-05 at 15.35.29.png
I'm not sure what the 7kb file was? Maybe you downloaded an html page instead?

The 12MB thing is the macOS X86_64 GraalVM 'native' build, execute it from the terminal like you would other command-line executables (the execute attribute may need to be set with chmod)
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:52 am The 12MB thing is the macOS X86_64 GraalVM 'native' build, execute it from the terminal like you would other command-line executables (the execute attribute may need to be set with chmod)
I downloaded all this with the intention of trying it out and putting a stack wrapper around it for MacOS, but I simply have not had time. I wanted to make it into something like this, but obviously an xTalk equivalent:
bz1qE-227762813.jpg
bz1qE-227762813.jpg (141.77 KiB) Viewed 799 times
So you'd have menus to file > save and open, and run the script, perhaps even debug? But the idea is it would be a good in-road into teaching the basics of the language without all the bells-and-whistles of the full-fat IDE.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Well we sort of have available this completely bells & whistles free xTalk in OpenXION.
I'd like to see some xTalk available in the Jupiter Notebooks system. I think that's the sort of thing you're looking for,

I did build a stack that is sort of an OpenXION terminal (using 'Open Process' ), that also can display the MAN page docs and search/display the HTML for it's syntax Dictionary.
I believe I uploaded it into that repo.