All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
richmond62

Queer numbering

Post by richmond62 »

Very queer indeed:

OpenXTalk IDE 1.963.1RC4

Possibly NOT to the regular contributors to these forums, but very confusing for 10 year old Alexander who asked me wht that had that "funny" number yesterday (well, actually he said "За що тоз софтуаир има един не логикален номер?") and I really didn't know how to reply.

So why not rename it (or, even better pump out an RC5) something a lot less queer such as 'OpenXTalk 1.0 RC5'?

Even that 'IDE' won't mean much to a lot of people.
-
RCcola.jpg
RCcola.jpg (6.81 KiB) Viewed 432 times
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
tperry2x

Re: Queer numbering

Post by tperry2x »

From Paul's GitHub page:
This latest release is being called 'OpenXTalk IDE 1.963.1RC4' but I now think it may be a good idea to tag releases as a date or similar, something like Fall 2023.
It may well change in the future as Paul mentions above.
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: Queer numbering

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

My original thinking on this was that 1.0 gives the impression that this code is brand spanking new when it's actually been under continuous development for like three decades. So I tacked on the huge minor version number to start, which is obviously based on the last LC Community version number. When we get some recompiled binaries done is when I was planning to call it v2.0 (skipping 1.0 entirely).
Obviously I was having some doubts about this line of thinking when I added that note. Since I plan to continue working towards Open-Source xTalk indefinitely, maybe a 'Season-Year' numbering might be more relevant.