richmond62

Speaking at the NY LiveCode Conference

Post by richmond62 »

So, I just received this in my inbox [My "other name" is 'John']:
-
SShot 2021-10-18 at 20.39.20.png
SShot 2021-10-18 at 20.39.20.png (487.56 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
-
Now, presumably, this presupposes I have stumped up the registration fee, the air-ticket, the visa application and the
hotel fees and so on . . .

So I would be applying to give a speech to support a commercial company for no reimbursement . . .

Now, I may have been naive in the past (and probably still am about a lot of things), but this is just "Too, too . . ."
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
xAction

Re: Speaking at the NY LiveCode Conference

Post by xAction »

Sometimes it's just about the community and ecosystem. You give a talk at a conference to share what you know and to make connections.

I just don't see the appeal of meatspace for programming talks. Be cheaper to buy everyone an android phone, a little camera/phone tri-pod, and have them talk their heads off and upload to youtube.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:11 am Sometimes it's just about the community and ecosystem. You give a talk at a conference to share what you know and to make connections.

I just don't see the appeal of meatspace for programming talks. Be cheaper to buy everyone an android phone, a little camera/phone tri-pod, and have them talk their heads off and upload to youtube.
"Meatspace", lol
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

xAction wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:11 am Sometimes it's just about the community and ecosystem. You give a talk at a conference to share what you know and to make connections.

I just don't see the appeal of meatspace for programming talks.
The greatest value of a conference to a vendor is platform promotion.

Only so many people can attend in person, but countless people can attend online.

And afterward, having all the content on the vendor's YouTube channel is invaluable.

I've enjoyed the face time at conferences, and indeed the "hallway track" is well recognized by most communities as the biggest benefit of in-person events, difficult to approximate online and impossible to fully replicate.

That said, I'm not sure the value of the hallway track for the community is greater than the promotional value to the vendor of an event that can be viewed free online and produces content that continues to drive engagement among prospects for months and years after.

Should an OpenXTalk conference ever become an option, I'd hope the simpler, less costly, and more impactful nature of an online event would be a first choice, saving in-person events for less frequent "summits", more affordable during less challenging times.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I'll just chunter on in my own sweet way demonstrating how LiveCode could be leverage for
the most basic of Primary educational requirements, after all Primary school teachers are unlikely to want to
go to a programming conference . . .

. . . especially when the company behind that conference has signally demonstrated to me that they really cannot bothered
to have a look at and take up what I am offering.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/