OXT Lite on Unix

A place to discuss any and all xTalk implementations, not just LC LCC Forks, but HyperCard, SuperCard, MetaCard, Gain Momentum, Oracle MediaTalk, OpenXION, etc.
Forum rules
Please limit any bashing/harping on any commercial interests to a minimum, thanks!
tperry2x

OXT Lite on Unix

Post by tperry2x »

I know this has a smaller user base than Linux, but I thought I'd test LC's claims that LC 9.6.x (and therefore by extension, OXT Lite) would run on Unix.
Straight away, I'm missing required libraries that aren't included: "ld-linux-x86-64.so"
unix.png
unix.png (168.43 KiB) Viewed 336 times
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: OXT Lite on Unix

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:00 am I know this has a smaller user base than Linux, but I thought I'd test LC's claims that LC 9.6.x (and therefore by extension, OXT Lite) would run on Unix.
Straight away, I'm missing required libraries that aren't included: "ld-linux-x86-64.so"
unix.png
I don't think they've claimed to support Unix in a long time. Seems like that was cut in favor of concentrating on Linux engine, back around RunRev 2.6+
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

I'm kind of glad they did.
Perhaps I should replace a lot of the references in the user guide which mention 'Unix' with 'Linux' instead. For sure, there's a lot bigger user base for Linux than Unix. I think there's only one semi-up-to-date unix 'distro' at the moment I could find - OpenIndiana, and that was a year or two out of date.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:28 pm I'm kind of glad they did.
Perhaps I should replace a lot of the references in the user guide which mention 'Unix' with 'Linux' instead. For sure, there's a lot bigger user base for Linux than Unix. I think there's only one semi-up-to-date unix 'distro' at the moment I could find - OpenIndiana, and that was a year or two out of date.
macOS is still technically a certified BSD Unix.
I like helloSystem a lot (although not ready for prime-time), that is based on FreeBSD (v14 currently), which still gets updates. That has integration of a Ubuntu compatibility layer, but there are current BSD ports of a lot of FOSS software commonly found on Linux. FreeBSD does seem to evolve at a glacial pace compared to the Linux world.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I wonder if anyone except for a few distinctly retro types are running a form of UNIX on a desktop computer?
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/