Why is Github so terrible?

All sorts of amusements and nonsense unrelated to xTalk
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Replace 'terrible with a much harsher version of your choice.

I was trying to upload the OpenXTalk Lite as a repo to it.

But, I can't do more than 100 files at a time (which is a pain to go through EVERY subfolder and upload them all individualy).

Why can't I upload a file over 25MB without it saying "Yowza! that's a big file".
It doesn't even tell me where it's got to, so I'm left guessing what it's uploaded and what it hasn't.

It really seems like junk.

Why can't I upload anything over 25mb? Most of the binaries and extensions, libraries and plugins are bigger than this. Not even mentioning CEF which somehow needs to go on there.

If I've uploaded a file by mistake, I can't remove it. I can't rename it. Seriously?

I shouldn't have expected too much. It has the Microsoft UUI (Unintuitive User Interface) stamped all over it.

This is normal for Microsoft - take something that should be easy and make it overly complicated, counter-intuitive to use, and throw a load of jargon on top which only makes sense to their inner circle.
Then leave out basic features, or hide them god-knows-where.

How does anyone use this to do anything meaningful?

So, what alternatives are there? I essentially want a read-only FTP server with about 8gb of storage, that can read livecode stacks properly, and people can propose changes. Is that really too hard?

I suppose I'll be uploading it to MEGA in that case, and people can browse through it as they want. They can edit it locally on their computer, and post changes back to me somehow instead.
xAction

Re: Why is Github so terrible?

Post by xAction »

How you are doing the upload? Like a new repository or upload through their web UI?
If you commit through their app or through the command like it doesn't choke on files.
But yeah, it used to be very simple to use, the other day I got back to it after two years or so and it was so ...much.
Between the 2 factor authentication and all the options...I dunno, I know I want to get a bunch of stuff up there and then forget about for a decade again, but ugh. Github.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Mega has allowed me to put 'everything' I have on there regarding OpenXTalk Lite:
https://mega.nz/folder/RfNDgQAL#iMA5Kld1K-YOMqKjJ1-hiQ

Although, upload of mac version to follow later as I'm nowhere near anything that can open dmgs at the moment.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:07 am How you are doing the upload? Like a new repository or upload through their web UI?
If you commit through their app or through the command like it doesn't choke on files.
But yeah, it used to be very simple to use, the other day I got back to it after two years or so and it was so ...much.
Between the 2 factor authentication and all the options...I dunno, I know I want to get a bunch of stuff up there and then forget about for a decade again, but ugh. Github.
This, if you use the GitHub app to sync you shouldn't have these problems.
I believe there is an individual file size limit is 100mb, I hit this limit uploading OXT due to a file that's part of Chromium (CEF framework), which I zip compressed to under 100mb and then it uploaded fine. For the 'releases' tab I'm not sure what the size limit currently is, but I know it was over 1GB per file.

I still think GitHub (and similar) is good, kind of like having a cloud-time-machine-backup for your code projects. I've reverted a file or two to a few versions back on occasion with it, that can come in handy.
mdm

Post by mdm »

tperry2x wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:55 pm So, what alternatives are there?
Consider Fossil.
All minimal and rock-solid.

Short introduction, if you've never come across it:
https://opensource.com/article/20/11/fossil
(Also has a section on how to use it on a server.)
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

mdm wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:03 pm Consider Fossil.
All minimal and rock-solid.

Short introduction, if you've never come across it:
https://opensource.com/article/20/11/fossil
(Also has a section on how to use it on a server.)
I like the look of this. I'm all for self-hosted things too, so definitely looks interesting. I'll have to do a lot more reading up and see how I get on with it, but does seem like a great alternative. Thanks for letting me know about it.