OpenXTalk Current Download links

richmond62

Re: OpenXTalk Current Download links

Post by richmond62 »

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, I am going to be hard at work in my EFL school, so unlikely to be of much help until Friday or Saturday.
-
Go-Under-the-Knife-1.jpg
Go-Under-the-Knife-1.jpg (25.76 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
-
While the LC Forums grind to a halt at the weekend, over here things are quite the reverse.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:51 pm What I HAVE done is, pressing the ALT/KEY dragged the mounted disk image to a folder so its complete contents are copied there (I did this yesterday), and then attempted to start the Appl from the .installdata folder inside that folder, and, as yesterday, copied the App across to the Applications folder where I get the 'damaged' notice again.
I don't quite understand why you are doing that.
Please just copy the .app to /Applications. You don't need the .installdata folder, or any of the contents other than the app.
I think that might be half the problem. With the App in the right place, you can run the xattr command which will clear the extended metadata attributes.

If this doesn't work, go to your security settings and allow apps downloaded from anywhere.
(this is likely because the plist is modified and it now does not appear to come from a signed developer).

Either way, I'll test this tomorrow on 'real-metal' - Mac OS 10.15 (and upward if I can find another mac that is relatively updated).
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

What do you mean by the ".app" ?
-
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 21.03.38.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 21.03.38.png (85.29 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Since the installer isn't working for you (god alone knows why), open the .installdata folder on the dmg and copy the "OpenXTalk Lite 0.91.app" into /Applications
then run the xattr command in a terminal (making sure it doesn't give you any errors).
Then try launching it as normal.
Screenshot at 2023-09-17 19-07-08.png
Screenshot at 2023-09-17 19-07-08.png (22.27 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Yes, that one - into /Applications
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I did NOT do that: what I did do is copy the Install OpenXTalk.app into my Applications folder and run it, AND, frabjous day, it installed the OpenXTalk.app in the Applications folder!

Now, let's see if it runs:
-
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 21.14.01.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 21.14.01.png (3.3 MiB) Viewed 3726 times
-
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 21.15.34.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 21.15.34.png (3.87 MiB) Viewed 3724 times
-
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 21.17.24.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 21.17.24.png (3.55 MiB) Viewed 3724 times
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:12 pm copy the Install OpenXTalk.app into my Applications folder and run it, AND, frabjous day, it installed the OpenXTalk.app in the Applications folder!
Okay... that's a bit craptacular, but I guess it works. Seems like the installer was able to pull it from the mounted dmg anyway, even though it wasn't in the same folder. Probably a restriction in MacOS 12 about running terminal commands from a dmg... who knows.

Fingers crossed then...
edit: Where's my fanfare! Brilliant. Glad that's solved. Was pulling my hair out.

Good, at least I don't have to revert back to 9.6.3 based OXT builds then!
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

OK, OK, OK: there's not much wrong with your work [wait a moment, I'll stab you in the back in the next post], but your instructions for installing it are AWFUL. :)
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Here's the stab in the back I promised you . . . and how this can be your fault I fail to understand:

Graphic transitions are slow with funny artifacts. :(

HOWEVER, 99% fantastic . . .

Also, bear in mind, my Devawriter Pro stack weighs in at 120 MB with about half a million lines of code and contains NO buttons: all the 'buttons' being images to guarantee cross-platform and font integrity.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I do NOT like keeping recensions of LiveCode or OXT in my Applications folder, I prefer to keep them in a dedicated folder inside my 'Home' folder.

Running the install app from inside that folder did NOT install OXT there.
-
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 21.42.46.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 21.42.46.png (255.9 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:43 pm ...there's not much wrong with your work
That's good.
richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:43 pm [wait a moment, I'll stab you in the back in the next post]
Okay, standing by for that one...
richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:43 pm but your instructions for installing it are AWFUL. :)
To be fair, not really what I'd call 'AWFUL'.
You mount the dmg, you open the virtual disk, you double click the install app. You enter your admin password.
You wait while it copies about 1.7GB to /Applications (the standard location for most apps) (it shows you it's busy and not crashed while it does this). It then even opens /Applications in finder to show you. You then eject the dmg... well, that's how it works here on the 3 macs I've tried it on.
richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:43 pm Here's the stab in the back I promised you . . . and how this can be your fault I fail to understand:
Hang on, I thought that above WAS the stab in the back! - you mean there's more? :lol:
richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:43 pm Graphic transitions are slow with funny artifacts. :(
Graphic transitions.... hmmm, didn't see any of these during normal use. When are you seeing these?
richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:43 pm HOWEVER, 99% fantastic . . .
Well, that makes me feel a little better (extracts the knife from my back)
richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:43 pm Also, bear in mind, my Devawriter Pro stack weighs in at 120 MB with about half a million lines of code and contains NO buttons: all the 'buttons' being images to guarantee cross-platform and font integrity.
Okay, I'm being dense here. What does this have to do with any recent modifications? Not being funny or deliberately obtuse or anything asking this. I haven't added any buttons. :?:
richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:43 pm I do NOT like keeping recensions of LiveCode or OXT in my Applications folder, I prefer to keep them in a dedicated folder inside my 'Home' folder.
... and there should be absolutely no reason why you can't move the "OpenXTalk Lite 0.91.app" that is now in your Applications folder to wherever you want. Works for me, I can move it into my ~/Desktop and launch it from there if I feel like it. There should be no problem doing this... but then, I'm not on MacOS 12 so can't duplicate what you are seeing.
richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:43 pm Running the install app from inside that folder did NOT install OXT there.
Well, no. It wouldn't. The install script is set to copy to /Applications, regardless of where it's run from. It simply copies the "OpenXTalk Lite 0.91.app" from /Volumes/OpenXTalk/.installdata/ to /Applications, so even if you ran it from ~/Downloads, it'd still install to /Applications (again, the default install location for most Mac apps that are accessed by all users on the system).
But, see above - you should be able to move it if you want.
You can also throw away the installer because all it is, is a script to copy the necessary app to /Applications, run the license-creating task (so you don't get the nag screen about registering), and lastly remove the metadata tags using the xattr command.
So nothing exotic or clandestine.

Here is an install test on another mac (10.15 Catalina) - but it should be a smooth process.
https://youtu.be/z9x1zB9AHQg

To say your mac made a meal of the install is an understatement. It was not just a meal, more like breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then came back for a midnight snack.
This might be due to the MacOS 12 thing, but I notice there's weird stuff in your screenshot like invisible files being shown as default, which isn't the norm. As you frequently experience these 'Application is damaged' errors with other programs, I do wonder if there's something awry with your MacOS installation.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Continued testing on MacOS 12 (Monterey).
This is on a fresh install of the system. Sorry about the potato-camera.
potato-camera.jpg
potato-camera.jpg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 3666 times
So, we have a nice fresh install of MacOS 12. This is on a MacBook Air with 8GB of Memory. (1.8GhZ dual core i5)
Of course, I got the 'Unsigned developer' notice. Unfortunately, that's to be expected.
I had to right-click and choose 'Open' to get around this, but after that, seems to work.

https://youtu.be/TfQBl5GQneA
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Just off to bed after a loooong and fairly ×@#÷=£/% day, but could not resist rising to the bed about being wierd insofar as having dot-invisible files visible.

I used Tinkertool [check it out, it rocks] to show dot-invisible files so I can see what 'awful' things people like you are packing in your DMGs and so forth. 8-)

Sorry, no link to Tinkertool as this if from my phone; not having the Mojo to turn on a computer before brandy-and-bath, and bed.

xTalk and strong liquor, sure beats the crap out of some of the milksops 'over there'. :lol:
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Got to hide the files to be copied somewhere.
Generally making things invisible usually stops most people from poking around where they shouldn't be.
I still can't work out why it was such a headache on your Mac. Probably not anything to do with tinkertool.

Btw: back when tinkertool was more generally used, and back when you could customise more about the MacOS, I made something similar (with more options).

https://www.tsites.co.uk/sites/software/tweaker/

I haven't updated it in a while because it generally seems that Apple hates customisation or individuality.

Was thinking your issues might be permissions related. Don't know if it's worth repairing your disk permissions with Disk Utility?
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I could give that a try, though I am not convinced.
micmac

Post by micmac »

Could anyone give a hint what tIDE 1.0 is. It's linked to first in this thread.

Mic

https://tsites.co.uk/sites/openxtalk/changes.php