Legacy Downloads on itch.io

xAction

Legacy Downloads on itch.io

Post by xAction »

Let me know if missed any details or should upload some more stuff.
Page is here!
Last edited by xAction on Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo!
tperry2x

Re: Legacy Downloads on itch.io

Post by tperry2x »

I like. The more info about OXT that is 'out there', the merrier.
I'd maybe put a direct link in to the OXT lite download page too?
https://www.openxtalk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=590
And maybe a direct link in to the RCx version in github?
(worth mentioning it's mac only though)
And there's still the RC3 appimage version for linux.

In case this OpenXTalk.org forum goes down again, like it did earlier (?) then I have a mirror of the download page here:
https://www.oxt.tsites.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=4#p4

Feel free to add all the sample stacks I've been gathering up too...

I think it was very ODD when the site suddenly goes down exactly when we are trying to gather more views and visibility of OXT. This is why there's the download mirror on my site, which is definitely not hosted on a LC server :D
xAction

Post by xAction »

I think OXT stuff should get it's own itch.io page(s), with all the same stuff (gifs, screenshots). And I'll link to OXT as a "HOT NEW THING" at or near the top of that description.

I guarantee 99% of people will not read any of that stuff I wrote up. I just felt it should be said and to make it not look like an abandoneware dump.

I also gaurantee people won't be chasing links around from within that page, itch.io big bold links is what they expect and what they will hit and be overwhelmed with first.

Also why is the app image for linux 1.1 gigs when the download should be 500 megs?
the IDE used to be a 65 meg download....man...let's get back to that!
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:57 pm I think OXT stuff should get it's own itch.io page(s), with all the same stuff (gifs, screenshots). And I'll link to OXT as a "HOT NEW THING" at or near the top of that description.

I guarantee 99% of people will not read any of that stuff I wrote up. I just felt it should be said and to make it not look like an abandoneware dump.

I also gaurantee people won't be chasing links around from within that page, itch.io big bold links is what they expect and what they will hit and be overwhelmed with first.

Also why is the app image for linux 1.1 gigs when the download should be 500 megs?
the IDE used to be a 65 meg download....man...let's get back to that!
Cool, Itch.io is great, seems like the right place to potentially find new users.

The .Appimage is that large, frankly because I didn't really know what I was doing when I made it, I just went for it anyway. It contained a bunch of extra things that it didn't need to, and had big chunks of Linux (dependencies) rolled in too. Also a large part of why the IDE grew in size on all platforms was due to inclusion of a full copy of Chromium Framework Web Engine, for each of multiple desktop architectures / platforms. If we could switch to WebKit and we're running on recent Debian distro (after they switched to WebKit) then we could drop Chromium and use the System's copy of the WebKit framework. Alternatively we could use some other web engine, but I don't think there's another that's going to ne as well supported as WebKit currently is.
xAction

Post by xAction »

First five days on Itch.io with being featured on some 'new tools' pages.
No Mac downloads at all. hmm. I guess they get all their software from the App store now, instead of trawling the back cooridors of the internet to pick up something new and strange in holes like SourceForge.
FirstFiveDaysItchio.png
FirstFiveDaysItchio.png (76.62 KiB) Viewed 328 times
14 Downloads
0 Ratings
1 Collections
0 Comments
952 Impressions (somoene scrolled over the thumbnail ?)
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xAction wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:56 am First five days on Itch.io with being featured on some 'new tools' pages.
No Mac downloads at all. hmm. I guess they get all their software from the App store now, instead of trawling the back cooridors of the internet to pick up something new and strange in holes like SourceForge.
FirstFiveDaysItchio.png

14 Downloads
0 Ratings
1 Collections
0 Comments
952 Impressions (somoene scrolled over the thumbnail ?)
Ugh, that's really a damn shame if that's the reason, but you're probably correct. HyperCard (the original xTalk) was for me THE epitome of Mac 'insanely great' software. At least twice a year I read long article about how great HyperCard was, and saying how there should still exist something like it, that gains bunches of comments agreeing.
And here we are with something that is very much like HyperCard if it had continued to be developed in a cross-platform friendly form. Sigh.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:51 pm And here we are with something that is very much like HyperCard if it had continued to be developed in a cross-platform friendly form. Sigh.
It's just that nobody knows about it :(