Being rude about the paint tools

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: Being rude about the paint tools

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

And also the pixel painting 'line tool' does not appear in the revTools palette, and no one has seemed to notice for a very long time, its missing since from as far back as v7 (as far bad as I can check right now).

Code: Select all

set the tool to "line tool"
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Code: Select all

set the tool to "dropper tool"
The eyedropper tool still works to sample a pixel color and sets the paint color to it, but on first time clicking on a pixel it trigger's that screen recording permissions request, which it should not have done since OXT screen rec permission was previously set.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (81.23 KiB) Viewed 157 times
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Ahha! The bitmapped paint 'line tool' was previously in a popup menu in same button with the curve tool. So it is actually that popup menu to toggle between those two tools that went missing.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

That's a great bit of detective work. I will add my bitmap line tool into the popup menu, so it can be selected I think.
Thanks for finding that. Great stuff.

edit: added to the polygon menu, so you can simply choose 'Line Tool' in the paint section.
It can now draw the vector line and the bitmap line again:
with-line.png
with-line.png (44.56 KiB) Viewed 151 times
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

I'll credit you in the release notes for OXT Lite if that's okay Paul.
I'll work on ideas for changing brush pixel colour now too I think.

Edit: How about something like this?
col-curs-test.oxtstack
(3.32 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Well, whatever 'someone' modestly says, 1.04 is quite obviously going feature a lot more changes vis-a-vis than between 1.02 and 1.03.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:53 am I'll credit you in the release notes for OXT Lite if that's okay Paul.
I'll work on ideas for changing brush pixel colour now too I think.
That's cool.
Building a new tools palette has me playing around with the paint tools in OXT more than I ever have, I'm enjoying it.

The comment I made here about emulating MacPaint/HyperCard(1.x) Paint Multiples / Paint Mirrors kept spinning around my head so I spent a little time this morning trying to do script-control painting in realtime! HyperCard could do this sort of thing so OXT should be able too.

I got stumped at first, but then I found some nice snippet of code that Bernd (Bn) shared about 8 years ago. The trick seems to be to NOT choose a paint tool before painting, otherwise no mouse or drag messages get sent to the image control or any other script object. So you have to be in 'browse tool" mode (you can set the cursor so that it looks like you're on a paint tool) and then on mouseDown your script takes control, using a loop to 'draw' based on mouse position.

Once I got the jist of it I had a bunch of fun changing random colors while painting and painting multiple lines simultaneously. Now I just have to figure out the difference between the global screen coordinates and the top,Left,right,Bottom of the image control its painting on so I can reflect the lines being drawn. I'm trying to write the script with relative object references ("of me", "the target", etc.) so that it can be attached to an image control as a behavior script.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:53 am Edit: How about something like this?
col-curs-test.oxtstack
That's awesome!
But to be honest, what I was thinking the cursor could change to the actual "brush" image (not the Brush Cursor image), so that user gets an idea of the stroke thickness they're about to paint with, and also make it a copy of that brush-image that has a color-overlay colorizing it to the brushColor (or penColor).

It's not an original idea, various paint programs have done the thing with changing cursor size to match paint stroke size, Photoshop actually uses a transparent stroked circle with center dot that's changes sized to match the selected brush size (which can be increased/decreased in size using the "]" and "[" keys respectively).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQz6vmnBbpM