Conceptual Divergence

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: Conceptual Divergence

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

FourthWorld wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:19 pm
OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:52 am I think 'cards' in the usage Richard mentioned, a card being part of a larger graphical layout, has close enough meaning to our usage with xCard thing that I think that shouldn't confuse people much, a card is a sub-layout within a Stack's larger structure (window area).
21st century cards are more like xTalk groups.

preview.png
Sure I guess... if web designer people (and specifically their JS library Bootstrap: https://getbootstrap.com/docs/5.2/components/card/) are calling them that then that's what they are to them, but underneath they're really <div> elements tagged as '.card' for styling with CSS, right?
They seem to be using it more like a 'Trading Card' metaphor, as in TOPS Baseball/Sports Players trading cards.

In 21st century xTalk-on-the-web (either OXT Emscripten or HyperSim) those would each be cards/stacks, inside a widow that equates to the screen of browser as a platform.

Here's two stacks in a browser, along with a few other DOM objects:
Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 4.08.35 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 4.08.35 PM.png (416.87 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Looks close enough to same sort of thing to me.

Groups came from 'Background' Cards, so I tend to think of them as sort-of sub-cards (even though they're really 'controls'/'parts').

Anyway HyperCard had the 'Cards' first, therefore xTalk called dibs forever! :lol:
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I'm pretty sure that the 'Card'/stack of cards metaphor came about due to the correlation between 5" x 3" index cards
and the size of the original compact Macs 512px x 384px screen resolution:
DannyGoodman.jpg
DannyGoodman.jpg (89.1 KiB) Viewed 243 times

Since I mentioned Bootstrap.js library,I should mention that I did 'TSV'-ified the Bootstrap SVG icon set for use with OXT SVG Glyphs Loader so that they can be used with Widgets, its a nice UI oriented set, can view it here:
https://icons.getbootstrap.com
Here's the stack Icon from that set: https://icons.getbootstrap.com/icons/stack/
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

FourthWorld wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:24 pm The contemporary use of "cards" to refer to discrete portions of a
In magazine / book production we called that a 'blurb', in label printing the front-facing panel is sometimes referred to as a cartouche (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartouche ... Museum.jpg)

... but if it's just a way to convey a section of the larger layout it really doesn't matter what you call it as long as the other person get the point.

And again xTalk's 'cards' were called that before the web even existed (by 5+ years), so xTalk has dibs on 'card' in perpetuity.
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:58 pm And again xTalk's 'cards' were called that before the web even existed (by 5+ years), so xTalk has dibs on 'card' in perpetuity.
In a world of evolving language where "literally" literally means "figuratively", I'm okay with OXT using the older definition, and I'm okay with others using a newer definition.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

FourthWorld wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:58 pm
OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:58 pm And again xTalk's 'cards' were called that before the web even existed (by 5+ years), so xTalk has dibs on 'card' in perpetuity.
In a world of evolving language where "literally" literally means "figuratively", I'm okay with OXT using the older definition, and I'm okay with others using a newer definition.
"literally" literally means "figuratively".
:lol: I literally feel dat.

And Same, I really don't care what it's called so long as I know what it means in whatever context it's being used.

Some old timers in print use a unit of measure to represent arbitrarily 'tiny' size, its called a 'CH' and I'll let you guess what those letters stand for (keeping it 'family friendly'), but as far as I'm concerned that means 1/1000ths of an inch or less.