Red Neck Champagne

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
richmond62

Red Neck Champagne

Post by richmond62 »

I was wanting to do a casual compare-and-contrast between OXT Lite and OXT 'Hevvy' (presumably spelt wrongly to match up with 'Lite'), and found that the release version available is STILL RC 4 . . . Now, come on Paul, you must have something 'hairier' lurking in your basement . . .
-
RC.png
RC.png (3.93 KiB) Viewed 83 times
-
RC4 is currently crashing on Mac OS Sonoma 14.5 beta something. :(
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
tperry2x

Re: Red Neck Champagne

Post by tperry2x »

I like the 'lite' moniker, as befitting of previous 'lite' products.
To be fair, TerryL chose it - but I think it's a good fit.

Stuffit Lite for example, rather than 'Deluxe' - so as to mean a version without lots of extra features added.
Perhaps Paul would go for the 'Deluxe' naming? :D - As long as they are differentiated, I suppose that's all that matters - just so that it's clear to people there are different options.
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: Red Neck Champagne

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:35 am I was wanting to do a casual compare-and-contrast between OXT Lite and OXT 'Hevvy' (presumably spelt wrongly to match up with 'Lite'), and found that the release version available is STILL RC 4 . . . Now, come on Paul, you must have something 'hairier' lurking in your basement . . .
-
RC.png
-
RC4 is currently crashing on Mac OS Sonoma 14.5 beta something. :(
My daily use 'build' is at RC5 for a long time now. Unfortunately I simply have not had a lot of time to work on IDE for the past half-year or so, not nearly as much time as I put in at the beginning of this project.

Meanwhile Tom has been running with the torch... I'd really like to sync up my fork with his "Lite" version, but due to the spaghetti-wiring-like nature of the IDE scripts I've really become rather conservative about making any changes and so I'd want to make sure that any of his changes don't break any of my changes, or interfere with any feature I want to keep, before I apply them to my fork. If we had started from a blank IDE slate (as I think is what Tom wants to get closer to) I may have felt differently about making lots of changes.

At this point I could maybe argue that OXT DPE version of the IDE is actually the "Lite' version (with a few extra stacks,widgets,libraries on top) in so far as making changes to the IDE itself from the LC Community 9.6.3 starting point.

Anyway, I was not aware of any issues running on Sonoma, but then I only occasionally test on that macOS version. I don't currently have a machine that meets the official specs (no "Metal 3" GPU but OpenCore Legacy Patcher works around that) so that's part of it.

When DP4 crashes what are you doing, does the crash occur while launching the IDE? I thought I'd added the Sonoma-patched binary executable to that version.

Did you try reset preferences? I'm not sure if there could be some conflict if OXT Lite and DP4 are sharing the same preference file that we've both added to in different ways.

It could also be that I'd added entitlements changes to the app's info.plist, that perhaps is at odds with Sonoma v14.5 beta-something, but since it's not a major-version OS update, I kind of doubt that's the problem.

At any rate DP4 seems to work just fine for me on Sonoma with no other LC CE or OXT Lite version installed.
I'll try to make some time to test on Sonoma this morning, but I'm not going to install any beta version of OS update.