Spicing up the place with a new theme

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
OpenXTalkPaul

Spicing up the place with a new theme

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Just wanted a different theme than the default silver one commonly used.
And of course add some kind of logo / banner to differentiate this forum from... well you know.

I like dark themes so I picked this one. Not set in stone or anything, there's tons of premade styles available if a lot of people really hate this one I can add other options later.
richmond62

Re: Spicing up the place with a new theme

Post by richmond62 »

Well, Erm, Yes . . . BUT "Genuine People Personalities" sounds a bit odd.

ALSO, as this seems to be degenerating into a "love-in" between Thee and Me, we really do need to do something (what?)
to attract more contributors.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
Kdjanz

Post by Kdjanz »

Hate to say it, but this reminds me of 1990's Geocities maybe? Too cool for school sort of thing.

Just my 2 cents since I'm just a lurker on all Livecode or openXTalk from here on in.
My faith was dashed and my trust was broken, so I'm spending more time with Swift and SwiftUI. I know that Apple is solidly into it and will not jerk the rug out from under my world in a heartbeat.

But I still think in XTalk and it is getting in the way of the transition.

Kelly
susan

Post by susan »

Like the theme. I prefer something darker than white, so the new style looks good to me.
Kdjanz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:58 pm My faith was dashed and my trust was broken
THIS!
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Indeed: a decent charcoal with white text would be better than this dark grey on light grey
which makes me wonder if I should buy some new specs.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

OK maybe we can pick a few different ones and do a poll for the default theme.
I think you can also have user choosable themes, but I'm a newbie at this so I'll have to look into that.

The current theme I used is called Multi-Design found here:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2
specifically here:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/multi_design/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:34 pm Well, Erm, Yes . . . BUT "Genuine People Personalities" sounds a bit odd.

ALSO, as this seems to be degenerating into a "love-in" between Thee and Me, we really do need to do something (what?)
to attract more contributors.
GPP is an homage to Douglas Adams, who among other things, was a big proponent of the HyperText idea,
before HyperCard (which he was also user of) and Tim Berners-Lee's little web thingy.
GPP is from his Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy series:
Genuine People Personalities

Genuine People Personalities or GPPs were an invention of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. These products were imbued with artificial intelligence and emotion, however, GPPs are known for being pointless or irritating, often serving their desired purpose but in an unconventional or unhelpful way. Marvin the android is an example of a Genuine People Personality.
I soooo want a "Marvin" equivalent of Siri!
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

OK: Zaphod.

Love, the Electric Monk.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Again, nothing is set in stone here.

I thought about trying to make some slick modern "Flat" style graphics / logo and then I thought "the heck with that!" we're going against the grain, right? I like retro stuff and so do a lot of people MUCH younger than me! Retro video gaming has been quite big with the kids, for example. So why not!

As far as getting more people involved in this, I'm all for that!
I'm not sure how to best do that, but I have a few 'maybe' ideas.
I would love to hear others people's ideas on that.
Our budget is ZERO so being creative about marketing would be a requirement.

For now there's a lot of other work to do, un-branding and such, just to get started, so I'm trying to get to some of that too.
jamesk169

Post by jamesk169 »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 pm Just wanted a different theme than the default silver one commonly used.
And of course add some kind of logo / banner to differentiate this forum from... well you know.

I like dark themes so I picked this one. Not set in stone or anything, there's tons of premade styles available if a lot of people really hate this one I can add other options later.
I am having a hard time with the dark text (red and orange in particular) in this theme due to 'color blindness' ... or more accurately 'color vision impairment.' I see color just fine, just not all of them equally well. :lol:
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

jamesk169 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:34 am
OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 pm Just wanted a different theme than the default silver one commonly used.

I am having a hard time with the dark text (red and orange in particular) in this theme due to 'color blindness' ... or more accurately 'color vision impairment.' I see color just fine, just not all of them equally well. :lol:
OK well you're not the only one having a problem with it so I'll put up something different tomorrow
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

OK I changed to a different default board theme, this one's called Absolution (great album by Muse, BTW).
Hopefully it will be easier on people's eyes. I'm not sure I like the orange lines and icons though.
Maybe I'll tinker around with in CSS code if I get some time later to try to change it.
Kdjanz

Post by Kdjanz »

This works better for me.

Approved
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I re-enabled the other styles too, that way you can pick whichever style you prefer in the user control panel.
susan

Post by susan »

This new theme is good too. And if I want to go over to The Dark Side™ I simply turn on my browser dark mode.