Branding - spelling

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
xTalkProgrammer

Branding - spelling

Post by xTalkProgrammer »

Why is Open xTalk 2 words? All programming tools of this name are CamelCased names: SuperCard, HyperCard, and two others you're familiar with. Should OpenXTalk or OpenxTalk be an exception to this rule? If yes, why?
All my statements in this forum are just an opinion and should not be taken for granted.
https://www.ecxtalk.nl
OpenXTalk
Site Admin

Re: Branding - spelling

Post by OpenXTalk »

Welcome! Personally, I like OpenxTalk as a name for a potential LCC fork. The space in the forum name was meant to indicate inclusiveness of all xTalks old and new, but it can be changed to whatever the community thinks is best. This forum is still a work in progress, and all input from the community is greatly appreciated.
xTalkProgrammer

I see what you mean. I like the idea that it is open in multiple ways. It could be confusing though. It is important to place our new brand in the open-source world. To achieve that, we should avoid confusion. Let's make this an OpenXTalk forum and let's welcome anyone who wants to discuss any type of xTalk.
All my statements in this forum are just an opinion and should not be taken for granted.
OpenXTalk
Site Admin

Post by OpenXTalk »

I've removed the spaces for now, which seems fine to me. If necessary, we can revisit this topic. Welcome aboard. If you have any other ideas, we'd be glad to hear them. 8-)
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

A name that has not been mooted yet is

OpenRevolution
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
SethMorrow

Post by SethMorrow »

richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:29 pm A name that has not been mooted yet is

OpenRevolution
"HyperSuperMetaRevLive" is still on the table, too.

But seriously, I'm not sure whether or not "Revolution" could or should be used. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure, but I'm of the opinion that anybody working on a fork should probably stay away from including the names of any previous offering from any company.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I wasn't being terribly serious, just thought I'd stir the pot a bit to get things
bubbling.
SethMorrow

Post by SethMorrow »

richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:59 pm I wasn't being terribly serious, just thought I'd stir the pot a bit to get things
bubbling.
I figured. I'm just having a little fun. Think of the marketing opportunities, though. "Live the HyperSuperMetaRev Life with HyperSuperMetaRevLive™!" :lol:
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

You missed out "Duper".

"Live the HyperSuperDuperMetaRev Life with HyperSuperDuperMetaRevLive™!"
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

xTalkProgrammer wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:48 pm Why is Open xTalk 2 words? All programming tools of this name are CamelCased names: SuperCard, HyperCard, and two others you're familiar with. Should OpenXTalk or OpenxTalk be an exception to this rule? If yes, why?
I agree in so far as the edits I've been making to my fork have all used OpenXTalk (OXT) as it's new name.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:29 pm A name that has not been mooted yet is

OpenRevolution
I was rather partial to WildCode but didn't get many votes on FB. WILD was the file creator code for HyperCard staks, WildCard was HC's original name until Atkinson gave it to Apple on the promise they'd give it away free with Macs.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Well, we can all be partial to various things, but OpenXtalk does seem to pack all sorts of
references and connotations in a way many of the "also-rans" do not.
susan

Post by susan »

I like the capital X, and OpenXTalk is a fine name.

I think steering away from clever hidden meanings that are only understood by those in the know is to be avoided.

My one concern is that when I see an X in a name, when people have pronounced it aloud, I have heard "Ex", "Cross", and even "Times" by one person.

That sort of potential confusion, because X has many meanings, means I would never use it in a name of a project where branding is important. But sure, I understand the context and history of xTalk, so I am probably over thinking.

I do like it, even so!
mathhunger

Post by mathhunger »

One single word "OpenXTalk" has much greater visibility under Google Search than the more generalized , Open, XTalk, x, Talk 8-)

Think of googling for the J programming language by Iverson, without getting inundated with a long list of references to Java :evil:
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Doing a web search for "xTalk", as I did yesterday, left me in a minefield of "guff", almost all of
which had precious little to do with the dialects of a programming language used by SuperCard
and LiveCode.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:57 am Doing a web search for "xTalk", as I did yesterday, left me in a minefield of "guff", almost all of
which had precious little to do with the dialects of a programming language used by SuperCard
and LiveCode.
Yeah I know what you mean, the same goes for "Live Code", I've seen that used long before LC used it (in realtime musical programming). Was that their plan when renaming RunRev? I don't know, but I'm sure they have to send notices out to people trying to use that combination of words a lot!

Search Engine Optimization expert I'm not, but I'm fairly settled on the name and using it as one word OpenXTalk

Anyone else could always rename it later I guess but I don't want to go through this twice.

I am going ro try to prioritize un-branding rather than rebranding, less logos in the IDE, less product references (which there seems to be a lot of in the IDE)
susan

Post by susan »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:22 pm Search Engine Optimization expert I'm not, but I'm fairly settled on the name and using it as one word OpenXTalk

Anyone else could always rename it later I guess but I don't want to go through this twice.

I am going ro try to prioritize un-branding rather than rebranding, less logos in the IDE, less product references (which there seems to be a lot of in the IDE)
All excellent ideas, and I love the proportions of the lettering in OpenXTalk. It has a lot of balance.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

susan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:35 am All excellent ideas, and I love the proportions of the lettering in OpenXTalk. It has a lot of balance.
Thanks, I did a little bit of kerning here and there. :D
I really just needed something to get going with for now.
I'll probably revisit that later.
xTalkProgrammer

Thank for making the name change.