Coffee or Tea?

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
richmond62

Coffee or Tea?

Post by richmond62 »

Or, as my Granny used to say, "Taste is all in the mouth."

Personally I do NOT like the Project Browser, I prefer the Application Browser.

The Project Browser is a newer inclusion in the IDE to provide the same service as the Application Browser.

At one time, when the Project Browser was introduced, the Application Browser vanished.

Just for once (!), LC listened, and the Application Browser was restored, but bunged in the Lobby-Press beneath the stairs in the /Development/Plugins folder so that, unless thou wast in the know thou would not find it.

I would beg for the Application Browser to be restored to its original home, in the /Tools Menu, alongside the Project Browser, so there is an equally balanced choice.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: Coffee or Tea?

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:13 am Or, as my Granny used to say, "Taste is all in the mouth."

Personally I do NOT like the Project Browser, I prefer the Application Browser.

The Project Browser is a newer inclusion in the IDE to provide the same service as the Application Browser.

At one time, when the Project Browser was introduced, the Application Browser vanished.

Just for once (!), LC listened, and the Application Browser was restored, but bunged in the Lobby-Press beneath the stairs in the /Development/Plugins folder so that, unless thou wast in the know thou would not find it.

I would beg for the Application Browser to be restored to its original home, in the /Tools Menu, alongside the Project Browser, so there is an equally balanced choice.
They are very similar, what I would prefer to do is fix the problems with Project Browser and add in anything from Application Browser that is missing (like the ability to show all Audio Clips properly, which PB doesn't always do). Another route could be to make this another user preference. I don't think having both in the main menu would make sense.
Of course everyone is free to make whatever changes hey wish to see.
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

richmond62 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:13 am Just for once (!), LC listened, and the Application Browser was restored, but bunged in the Lobby-Press beneath the stairs in the /Development/Plugins folder so that, unless thou wast in the know thou would not find it.
Or you could read the Release Notes.

Personally I prefer the Project Browser (except for the name, since LC never got around to implementing a project layer in the stack structure). In a scripting tool that supports behaviors, access to assigned behavior scripts is critical.

Paul's plan to integrate any missing functionality into the more-capable PB seems the best plan in terms of feature availability.
micmac

Post by micmac »

What I mis in the project browser is that the selected object is shown in the stack you are working on. The Application browser could that.

Mic
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

They both have their own set of advantages, and their own set of inconsistencies.
For example, the Application Browser gives a better, more logical view in my opinion with it's left and right panes.
The Project browser can duplicate a card / control whereas the Application Browser cannot.

The biggest inconsistency with the Project Browser is that it doesn't refresh properly upon duplicating a control.
The Application Browser is better in this respect.

A great example:
inconsistent.png
inconsistent.png (213.2 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
Here, I've got both the Project Browser and Application Browser open.
Using the Project browser, I've deleted a card and duplicated a button. But the Application Browser doesn't pick up on this.

It then eventually updated, and gave this error:
error.png
error.png (769.49 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
So I suggest this is a bug and have changed line 34 to read:
edit.png
edit.png (9.66 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
(So that it checks the object exists before trying to do something with it)
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

micmac wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:16 pm What I mis in the project browser is that the selected object is shown in the stack you are working on. The Application browser could that.
Amen to this.

I have no idea what they were thinking when they invented that novelty dualing selection paradigms, but you and I aren't the only ones who've scratched our heads over it.

Select something in the list, it's selected in the layout. Simple.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I think if the Application Browser and the Project Browser were to climb into bed with each other the baby would be something far better than either of them.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:44 am I think if the Application Browser and the Project Browser were to climb into bed with each other the baby would be something far better than either of them.
Or it could be twice as bad. I'll have a go... good for a laugh!

Edit: well, I've made a start. Albeit a slow one:
made-a-start.png
made-a-start.png (67.68 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Holy Cow . . . is there a way of excluding all those com.livecode.XXX stacks?

Or having MORE than 2 options [IDE stacks OFF or ON]?
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:13 am I would beg for the Application Browser to be restored to its original home, in the /Tools Menu, alongside the Project Browser, so there is an equally balanced choice.
A while back, Richmond, you mentioned restoring the "Application Browser" back into the Tools menu.
Just to let you know I've done this, and this will be back when I release 0.97

(I also added shortcut keys to them too, which change to Mac equivalents automatically)
menu.png
menu.png (17.66 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Fantastic, Thank you very much. 8-)