Un-De-branding not Re-branding + DarkMode

A place to discuss and plan OpenSource xTalk (not exclusively LCC based)
and Community Builds of LCC ...Ask NOT what xTalk can do for you...
Get involved you DO have something to contribute, no matter your skillset!

Forum rules
A place to discuss and plan OpenSource xTalk (not exclusively LCC based) and Community Builds of LCC
Ask NOT what xTalk can do for you... get involved you DO have something to contribute, no matter your skillset!
OpenXTalkPaul

Un-De-branding not Re-branding + DarkMode

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

This weekend I spent a little time (not as much as I would've liked) going through @tperry2x (can we call you Tom? or what do you prefer) OXT Lite changes/files and comparing. There were some changes that I had already done so I wanted to compare and merge. And I did merge a few of OXT Lite changes (so far) with my current IDE files, and there's a some that I kept my version of.

I just want to point out that there is a difference between Debranding (Unbranding?) versus REbranding.
The former is what I've tried to do as I've replaced references to LC within the IDE, that is I've tried to firstly just completely remove the reference ('the LiveCode IDE' becomes simply 'the IDE'), failing readability after removing the reference I've tried to use some other generic term ('LiveCode Script' becomes 'xTalk Script', NOT 'OpenXTalk Script'). Some others that IDE editors may come across are 'The Engine', Extension Builder (instead 'LiveCode Builder'), and I'm sure there's other examples.

The reasoning is that we are trying to set xTalk free from a long history of private ownership (along with commercial business related disappointments) and set it free, as in freedom (and beer) and unbrand it as in unchained. Right? Also there was just a ridiculous amount of LC references scattered about the IDE, so now if someone did want to REbrand (OXT Lite, OXT Retro, LiveCard...er that one was actually used already seen in HyperCard 2.4.1 disk image) they only have to change the names in a minimal amount of places.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that currently in native darkMode on macOS buttons have to have foreColor set to black or a button's label will be hard to read, tab button group has to have its backColor set to black for the same reason.

The OXT DPE home stack sets up a darkMode preferences property (the cDarkMode) in the refPreferences file which I intended to use for tracking the IDE's light/dark mode.
I also made 'darkMode' a stack property, but haven't written any scripts in the IDE that use it yet. My thinking was that dark/light would evolve into a separate library which could handle dark/light switching on all platforms and be included in standalones (OXT macOS Native tools with handles darkMode on macOS can already be included in standalones). Lately I've been thinking this could evolve into a full blown IDE theming library including with loading user icon sets.
Attachments
OXTdebrand vs OXTLrebrand.jpg
OXTdebrand vs OXTLrebrand.jpg (97.93 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
richmond62

Re: Un-De-branding not Re-branding + DarkMode

Post by richmond62 »

This makes interesting and informative reading, but

Who is Tom?

I cannot but think this was meant to be a private message that 'slipped',

Or was meant to attached to some other thread

Rather than 'floating' in a somewhat decontextualised way.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

AND, Yes, your feeling the debranding only, rather than rebranding seems, in my opinion, very sensible and careful.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:01 pm Who is Tom?
Er, who is tperry2x? What's his RL name again?
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Aye, well, and how was I, forbye tae ken that: I jalouse at fowk qha cannae juist yaise their ain guid names.

And, as a starting message for a thread it still looks odd.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Haha, Tom is fine.
Debranding does make perfect sense, and I suppose removing any name of the product also makes sense in the UI.
Of course, there's some places you'd want to keep it - application folder / program folder name, name of application etc, but yes - we probably don't need the UI plastered with OpenXTalk references everywhere. Where I'd changed them, I just thought it was better than having Livecode plastered all over the place.
micmac

Post by micmac »

Has there been made a log of all the places (stacks, code) that has been worked on?

Mic
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Yes, if you download the changes stack (on the same download page as my links for OpenXTalk Lite), you'll see you can view all the changes I've made - they are also listed inside the stack in the order in which I've made them.

All my changes are also commented with (tperry) so they are easy to find and see what I've done and why.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

micmac wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:45 pm Has there been made a log of all the places (stacks, code) that has been worked on?

Mic
For my part, I've continued to rely on GitHub to track changes. Although just adding my comments to a Repo push for Binary stacks is not really optimal for tracking changes, I've also used this forum extensively to elaborate on what I was working on. For script only stacks you can always use a diff utility to compare file to versions in LCC 9.6.3. There's other stuff I've added to OXT DPE that is unique to it, not part of LCC (Colors Swatch Palette, SVG Glyphs Browser, libFluidSynth, etc.).