OpenXTalk.org forum unresponsive.

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
OpenXTalkPaul

OpenXTalk.org forum unresponsive.

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the forum became unresponsive for about 6 hours tonight. It wasn't attacked or anything, it was my fault. I made an up to date local backup copy of this forum to ensure that all we've talked about here is safe and soundly preserved (the most recent Wayback Machine scrape of this place was back in July, I checked).

Anyway FYI, It might happen again this weekend as I'm going to try to make some time to update this site.

That includes web front door page too, I at least want to update the Download links which currently still just links to LCC files on Archive.org. It's a very simple template page currently, but I sort of like that simplicity. I don't want to clutter up the first page too much, so probably be adding some pages and links to GitHub Repos/Pages.
richmond62

Re: OpenXTalk.org forum unresponsive.

Post by richmond62 »

Yes, I did notice that.

Thank you very much for the explanation.

It would be interesting to know on what basis the Wayback thing decides how often to make backups.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Hi Paul,
I have this front page on my site (although not really linked to it too much)
https://www.tsites.co.uk/sites/openxtalk/
Is that useful at all? TerryL also has one.

I think the more exposure openxtalk gets the better, so the more places it's mentioned, surely this is a good thing?
How about updating a wiki page? Livecode have a fandom wiki, but OpenXTalk doesn't as far as I can tell.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:22 am Hi Paul,
I have this front page on my site (although not really linked to it too much)
https://www.tsites.co.uk/sites/openxtalk/
Is that useful at all? TerryL also has one.

I think the more exposure openxtalk gets the better, so the more places it's mentioned, surely this is a good thing?
How about updating a wiki page? Livecode have a fandom wiki, but OpenXTalk doesn't as far as I can tell.
I like it, it's friendly looking, and you nailed it with the font matching.

I've spent a little time (too little) over the last few days, trying to do a layout that is HTML ONLY page (no external CSS or JS libraries stuff), while still trying to make that sort of look modern-ish (which seems difficult if you limit yourself to like HTML 2.0 spec compatible). I basically wanted a new landing page to be just as be clean and to the point (for the TL;DR people) as it currently is, but wanted it to have a masthead kind of thing at the top, which would have a site index <a> links to sections below and/or other pages. Trying to do a proportional layout that still looks OK on mobile screens as well for people that using retro platforms.

My thinking is basic HTML, with resources encapsulated, and nothing 'minified', will then be super easy to update, to support multiple projects (OXT DPE, OXT Lite, OXT Retro, etc.) and also incorporate things like xTalk history pages, video demonstrations, lessons/educational materials, blog-ish posts about related things (OpenXION, ViperCard, Decker, LiveCode, SuperCard, etc.) maybe like a newsletter of sorts, links to other resources (HyperCard Heaven, HyperCard Discord server, etc.) an whatever sections we may need.