What should OpenXTalk Lite 1.0 be like?

All flavors welcome.
Forum rules
Be kind.
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: What should OpenXTalk Lite 1.0 be like?

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

This morning I made OXT Lameodition, by pruning out a lot of stuff, including removing any Builder Widget or Library that's not directly used by the IDE's UI:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17fqfuV ... share_link
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I don't what 'Lameodition' is supposed to mean: but it might occur to you that quite few people have been chasing after that for 2 years, and while that may be according to your point of view, 'lame', it might be better than waiting on something muscle-bound that never quite gets 'there', wherever 'there' is.

Certainly calling it 'Lameodition' strikes me a puerile, and guaranteed to rub quite a few people up the wrong way.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:34 pm I don't what 'Lameodition' is supposed to mean: but it might occur to you that quite few people have been chasing after that for 2 years, and while that may be according to your point of view, 'lame', it might be better than waiting on something muscle-bound that never quite gets 'there', wherever 'there' is.

Certainly calling it 'Lameodition' strikes me a puerile, and guaranteed to rub quite a few people up the wrong way.
I can't help it if people have thin skins. I did only mean it in a light-hearted, joking way... and it wasn't directed at anyone. I do sincerely think that apps that in 2023 still don't support darkMode (and I'm forced to use a very expensive commercial app daily that still doesn't) are indeed quite LAME, just for that reason alone... in my subjective opinion.

If it's a Windows 10 app, that's a little more understandable, since the only 'darkMode' in Win 10 are only in later version and they're in undocumented bits of MS private frameworks.

You can't compose and play a musical sequences in message box with this version, that's lame too IMO!

Anyway, you and anyone else can always rename it to 'OXT Lite-ish' or whatever you like, I did a quick change to the icon and the menu bar app name (info.plist), so I could tell which version I was working on.

It took me like two hours or so to swap in some icons, remove extensions, comment out some lines in Home & revMenuBar, disable a button in revPreferences stack to make this version that I didn't personally want at all (I did it for the challenge). Granted I didn't have to hunt for what to un-change since I did the changes, but I can't believe that anyone was chasing this very hard (and they could always ask me for help with undoing anything that I've changed) for two years. Honestly I spent more time this morning moving stuff from my garage into the shed that my wife and I built over the weekend.

So the 'bloat' that I did removed (including some stuff that was already there when we got it) totaled only 100 megabytes, that's it! For the compressed disk-image it only made that 10mb smaller. Removing the extra SVG icons, widgets, small libraries, etc. even with resources like a Soundfont (4mb) or other resources, doesn't make a whole lot of difference. The most amount of space is used by the Standalone engines in the Runtimes folder, which has multiple versions of CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) that Browser Widget (currently) uses on Windows and Linux.

If you take the toolset folder from this and drop in replace toolset in another install, it should work/look the same (without the 'OXT LAME' name & icon).
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Thank you for the work.

But the OXT 'thing' will, surely not attract many users with software packages like that. After all, where you may feel 'lame' to be a joke, many people may understand 'lame' to mean deliberately crippled.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

richmond62 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:45 pm many people may understand 'lame' to mean deliberately crippled.
Deliberately crippled is exactly what this version is when compared to both OXT DPE and LC CE 9.6.3 ( I removed all widgets and extensions not used in the IDE).

I wasn't doing this as some sort of official release (there really isn't any 'official' to be found here), but more for the challenge of it, and to prove the point I was trying to make that there really isn't a lot of non-essential changes that I've added.

I could add a lot more, but again I think that should be the role of a package management system (as started with the Extension Manager 'store' replacement). The platform Native specific extensions (like Mac Native App Tools, AVMIDIPlayer, CoreMIDI, etc.) are usually quite small because the functionality is mostly included in the OS.

There are two packages I really want included with the IDE due to the size of the packages. These are the ones that have library binaries for like 5 platforms, libFluidSynth (50mb) and libHIDAPI (for braille readers, barcode scanners, game controllers, etc.). Also I should add Hunspell/NSSpell spell checking dictionary library, because I know spelling is a problem area for me ( :D ), and because I think it could be used as basis for an OXT autocomplete feature (I've made a xTalk syntax terms file to use with it).
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

To avoid offending anyone why not call it 'OXT Basic'?

Personally I WOULD like to use it as a base for an 'OXT Elementary' with ALL the widgets either removed or at least buried and a series of hand-holding palettes like those I recently discovered in HyperStudio.

It is very easy to get caught up in the "adding clever extensions" thing, but no-one will use the thing if they are not 'hooked' first.

As a teaching tool an 'Elementary' version of OXT might be just the ticket for the prepubescent crowd: certainly should knock the socks of SCRATCH.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

No that lame: the thing works: even if I still believe your Tool Bar icons are repulsive. 8-)
-
SShot 2023-10-27 at 11.03.56.png
SShot 2023-10-27 at 11.03.56.png (35.08 KiB) Viewed 315 times