What I'm adding, and what I'm planning next...

A place to discuss and plan OpenSource xTalk (not exclusively LCC based)
and Community Builds of LCC ...Ask NOT what xTalk can do for you...
Get involved you DO have something to contribute, no matter your skillset!

Forum rules
A place to discuss and plan OpenSource xTalk (not exclusively LCC based) and Community Builds of LCC
Ask NOT what xTalk can do for you... get involved you DO have something to contribute, no matter your skillset!

What would you like to see in the next version?

You may select up to 5 options

View results

overclockedmind

Re: What I'm adding, and what I'm planning next...

Post by overclockedmind »

That sounds like a green-light to me if I've ever heard one. Just acknowledge him and possibly the previous project and under license from [insert open license here] in the credits.

Let's DO this!

I can do testing on x64 Linux and Windows 10. I do not have the MBA on hand right now.
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
overclockedmind

overclockedmind wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:40 pm That sounds like a green-light to me if I've ever heard one. Just acknowledge him and possibly the previous project and under license from [insert open license here] in the credits.

Let's DO this!

I can do testing on x64 Linux and Windows 10. I do not have the MBA on hand right now.
Alternatively if you want to save "About" space (lol,) then include the license he has chosen along with OXT Lite and say "Hey we pulled it from this guy and here's his license terms" in a text file, with a brief nod in the About.... er, thingy.

My two cents...
overclockedmind

I could recreate a Monterey VM.

I will if you ask me to.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

overclockedmind wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:43 pm I could recreate a Monterey VM.
I will if you ask me to.
I was going to ask you to have a go at compiling the engine Paul, for MacOS. I'm not having any luck here. It's spitting out 134 critical errors in xcode.
overclockedmind

lol, just a goofy note.

The Former Company? Used all sorts of open source technologies to achieve their end-goal.

I can't code in C++ (but I'm working on it.)

They did this, so why should we not?

And sorry, but I can't do jack in XCode, or I would. But you knew that already. :lol:
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:51 am
overclockedmind wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:43 pm I could recreate a Monterey VM.
I will if you ask me to.
I was going to ask you to have a go at compiling the engine Paul, for MacOS. I'm not having any luck here. It's spitting out 134 critical errors in xcode.
I do plan to give it a go again as soon as I have some time too, specially now that we've got the proper pre-built binaries to use, but I'm certainly no XCode expert either so I hope no one get their hopes too high.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

I definitely wouldn't call myself an expert either - I'm still learning (well, I guess - aren't we all).
Screen Shot.png
Screen Shot.png (668.88 KiB) Viewed 258 times
There's a heck of a lot to download, and the amount of hoops to have to jump through to set everything up is a bit silly.

I've tried compiling with various versions of xCode. I started at MacOS 10.9, this is 10.10. I'll take it to 10.11 and try again.
This mac mini I'm using can go to 10.14 without the use of opencore patcher, but can go to 10.15 using that before it's had enough.

I'll keep trying, nonetheless.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

All those red spots look like a bad attack of chickenpox, and they probably make you feel the same.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
tperry2x

Re: Screen speed matters

Post by tperry2x »

tperry2x wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:17 pm ...it has to come via the git clone command to work.
Then, once I've done that, I try to compile the engine...
This time, I chose to step through the errors one at a time.
Now on MacOS 10.13
Screen Shot 1.png
Screen Shot 1.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 252 times
Apart from MacOS 10.13 being about twice as sluggish as 10.10 ever was, not really getting anywhere.
It also warns me about there being lots of potential memory leaks and invalid logic.

(None of which I get on the Linux or Windows compile).
overclockedmind

richmond62 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:54 am All those red spots look like a bad attack of chickenpox, and they probably make you feel the same.
They're errors in the code. Or syntax mistakes. According to the Mac minor deity, Xcode anyway.
That much I believe is the point he's trying to make.

I had chickenpox. This made me laugh. :lol:

And then I thought of our poor compiler people and... I ceased to laugh.

Edit: I'm reading that left hand column now; the red isn't the only bad thing. The yellow " ! " is also no joke. I'm going to guess show-stoppers vs. compiler warnings?
More Editing: Also some supposedly missing / not "linked" or "found" files. Of file extension .cpp, from the one I see, which is an actual, separate file in C++.
Basically, XCode is complaining either prior to compile time (that'd be a feat) or after a compile attempt.

What I know about C++ could fit in a thimble...
overclockedmind

All I know of XCode is, what you got it to do.

Most of what I know about it is

Code: Select all

./configure
make
make install
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

One wonders what 'medicine' the people "up North" take for chickenpox . . . i.e. every time they build a Mac DP, RC, or Final-Vinyl.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

I never thought I'd say it, but even Visual Studio on Windows ran circles around xCode when compiling the engine. It just worked.
On Linux, it was essentially:

Code: Select all

make -C build-linux-x86_64/livecode development
I knew MacOS would give me problems. :evil:
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Funnily enough I went to LiveCode's office about 14 years ago and ALL I saw were Macintoshes: giving me to understand that ALL their development takes place on Macs.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

I'm finding that anything except MacOS is (by an order of magnitude), a lot easier.

I'm wondering what version of MacOS and xCode this is intended for. (Probably a newer version than I have).

The annoying thing is how xCode versions are tied into certain versions of MacOS. You can't install the latest xCode on macOS 10.15 for example.

However, in Windows, I can run visual studio 2017 on Windows 10 / windows 11.

In Linux, I can upgrade things pretty much independently.

It's so annoying how locked-in to the OS things are on MacOS. This goes for web browsers too, not just xCode. You can't get recent versions of Firefox for 10.13 because the apple WebKit libraries come with the OS and can't be upgraded. Not without updating the whole OS.
overclockedmind

tperry2x wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:14 pm I'm finding that anything except MacOS is (by an order of magnitude), a lot easier.

I'm wondering what version of MacOS and xCode this is intended for. (Probably a newer version than I have).

The annoying thing is how xCode versions are tied into certain versions of MacOS. You can't install the latest xCode on macOS 10.15 for example.

However, in Windows, I can run visual studio 2017 on Windows 10 / windows 11.

In Linux, I can upgrade things pretty much independently.

It's so annoying how locked-in to the OS things are on MacOS. This goes for web browsers too, not just xCode. You can't get recent versions of Firefox for 10.13 because the apple WebKit libraries come with the OS and can't be upgraded. Not without updating the whole OS.
This is why I'm predominantly a Linux user.
I'm biding my time in Windows 10, because I game.
But I'm already building the version of Debian 12 I'll be going back to. In a VM.

Edit: Looks I'll be going Xubuntu to get the compatibility, which SUCKS because this is a collection of less than 1100 packages that, including the way I have the UI set up, this is it. What a crock.... unless remaster-iso works.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:14 pm I'm wondering what version of MacOS and xCode this is intended for. (Probably a newer version than I have).
Based on the release notes for 9.6.3 which contains a few fixes related to macOS 11, It seems that they were likely compiling it on BigSur, I don't think I had all that many errors and compiler warning last time I tried, which was on macOS BigSur.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I think that it's more and more that Apple have tied everything to iOS (which we need for iOS mobile standalones), and of course they're always trying to push people into buying new computers and phones.
I wonder if it may be possible to symbolic link those newer iOS SDKs into older versions of Xcode in the same way you can to compile for older macOS versions targets (like we have to do for OXT for the 10.9 SDK on newer Xcode versions).

I was such a huge macOS fanboy from the 1980s until up to Snow Leo, but I'm now firmly heading towards being a Linux user (as soon as I'm retired).
overclockedmind

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:36 am
tperry2x wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:14 pm I'm wondering what version of MacOS and xCode this is intended for. (Probably a newer version than I have).
It seems based on the release notes for 9.6.3 which contains a few fixes related to macOS 11 that they were likely compiling it on BigSur, I don't think I had all that many errors and compiler warning last time I tried, which was on macOS BigSur.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I think that it's more and more that Apple have tied everything to iOS (which we need for iOS mobile standalones), and of course they're always trying to push people into buying new computers and phones.
I wonder if it may be possible to symbolic link those newer iOS SDKs into older versions of Xcode in the same way you can to compile for older macOS versions targets (like we have to do for OXT for the 10.9 SDK on newer Xcode versions).

I was such a huge macOS fanboy from the 1980s until up to Snow Leo, but I'm now firmly heading towards being a Linux user (as soon as I'm retired).
Steve died, the industrial designer quit, there's nothing left but for them to make money hand over fist with the "whole box," if you follow my intent.

Sorry to be so blunt, but Apple isn't Apple anymore. Those who don't see it, simply refuse to see it.
overclockedmind

viewtopic.php?t=1015

That's the new topic I branched my Linux build out and into.
You Linux gents, lend me a hand please?

I'll have OXT on it, if I can manage it.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

overclockedmind wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:51 am Sorry to be so blunt, but Apple isn't Apple anymore. Those who don't see it, simply refuse to see it.
I think you are right, and it's a real pity.
I wonder if this method would be the future option for running OXT lite on MacOS?
No prizes, but bonus bragging rights if you can spot what might be different to this version I open, as opposed to the normal MacOS 1.03 version.