What I'm adding, and what I'm planning next...

A place to discuss and plan OpenSource xTalk (not exclusively LCC based)
and Community Builds of LCC ...Ask NOT what xTalk can do for you...
Get involved you DO have something to contribute, no matter your skillset!

Forum rules
A place to discuss and plan OpenSource xTalk (not exclusively LCC based) and Community Builds of LCC
Ask NOT what xTalk can do for you... get involved you DO have something to contribute, no matter your skillset!

What would you like to see in the next version?

You may select up to 5 options

View results

tperry2x

Re: What I'm adding, and what I'm planning next...

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:33 am Hmm . . .

And let's fantasise for a moment that the difference is a single line of code . . .

The next question is whether it would be possible to write a stack that could open a standalone, as a text file, "inject" it with 'the ARM virus' and leave it in such a state that it actually would run on a Mac ARM machine.

Thoughts more than welcome.
I think therein lies the problem. To make a standalone that has a chance of running on an arm machine, this will be in the standalone builder stack (revStandaloneSettingsMacBehavior) - specifically in the revsblibrary.livecodescript too:

Code: Select all

command revSBRemoveUnneededSlicesFromMacCode pTargetFile, pSettings
   if the platform is "macos" and pSettings is not empty then
      local tRemove
      if pSettings["MacOSX x86-64"] is true and pSettings["MacOSX x86-32"] is not true then
         put "i386" into tRemove
      else if pSettings["MacOSX x86-32"] is true and pSettings["MacOSX x86-64"] is not true then
         put "x86_64" into tRemove
      end if

if tRemove is not empty then
         replace " " with "\ " in pTargetFile
         local tShell
        put "lipo " & pTargetFile & " -remove " & tRemove & " -output " & pTargetFile into tShell
         get shell(tShell)
      end if
   end if   
end revSBRemoveUnneededSlicesFromMacCode
The standalone uses the lipo command shown above to strip architecture away when creating MacOS builds (rather than creating FAT binaries). (lipo as in lipo-suction, to remove the FAT - makes sense).
Assuming LC are still using the lipo tool in LC 9.6.11 (they might not be and might have switched to something else altogether), you'd not know unless you looked at the "revsblibrary.livecodescript" that's part of 9.6.11

(that's assuming they haven't renamed it or changed the function it uses really dramatically).

Using the new revsblibrary that ships with a non community version (apart from being a no-no licensing-wise) would probably not work as they seem to have been intent on distancing the code quite a lot from the community builds of 9.6.3 (I had a play with 9.6.10 code I think it was, just to see how different it was - just out of curiosity), and even there - there were quite a lot of noticeable differences that jumped out at me.

As an 'education piece', I may have a look at this further, but that's not to say your idea of comparing the two standalones doesn't have merit. - I think though, using this method, we'd end up with a patch that would have to be 'tacked on' to make the standalone builder aware of building for arm.

What I mean by that, is that the standalone builder goes through the motions of building for x86-64 intel Macs, then at the last step, potentially does a diff-compare to patch what is needed for arm support. I'm just coming up with ideas here - nothing definite [as of yet]...

Another point is that this wouldn't solve the issue of the IDE actually running natively under Arm either.

However, on a positive note, if we can glean what is needed to make an ARM standalone, then when it comes time to recompile the engine properly and fix the many bugs that are present in the engine - this would potentially make that job easier.

The alternative route to this would be following the intel to ARM migration checklist when compiling, which is shown on Apple's website - but again, that's at the C++ compiler stage.

A lot of this is currently over-my-head, as I'm still in the process of learning C++ to a level where it's useful to anybody.
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... le-silicon
and
https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... -platforms

At this point, I just welcome the fact that the conversation is 'on the table' as we need to think about it.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:33 am And let's fantasise for a moment that the difference is a single line of code . . .
Unfortunately, this (for anyone else following along with proceedings)...
https://www.openxtalk.org/forum/viewtop ... 5734#p5734
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I was told a story (which is probably just that, with no real basis in reality) that there was bloke who had lost one eye, and he used to carry a box of glass eyes around with him, so, if he went to alcoholically fuelled parties he could swap his glass eyeballs to match his increasingly bloodshot real eye. :D
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

The phrase "Don't roll your eyes at me" really had additional meaning for him then.
Seems a lot of effort for little or no return. Why not just wear an eye patch?

Sometimes taking the most logical route is best, rather than over complicating things.

Speaking of which, I've got dark mode to a point on Windows today that I'm happy with. Even though windows 7 never shipped with dark mode (unless of course you used additional themes), I should be able to have the preference for dark mode there too if anyone wants it. Potentially on MacOS 10.9 as well (even though the OS didn't support it).

So, you'll be able to have dark mode on every OS that LCC / OXT lite runs on. This will be a preference as it might not work flawlessly, but I'm taking the simpler approach, rather than using any 'jankey' code injection - (which raises red-flags to me, and should not be done).

To clarify, I mean my own efforts of a 'jankey' solution earlier, which I reference here:
https://www.openxtalk.org/forum/viewtop ... 5721#p5721

I do not mean that comment against any of the work Paul has done on dark mode for MacOS (which I will be utilising again)

*Jankey - "LTT" youtube reference
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Spending some time in Windows 10 this evening.
I think the dark mode is coming along. You can have native (obviously :D), dark mode, light grey, and a light mode (that's almost too bright to stare at for long periods of time).

At the moment this is a floating window with buttons, but I'll add it to a menu (was thinking like the old appearance > look and feel submenu worked).
demo.gif
demo.gif (536.83 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
It will also change the script editor colours and the message box at the same time when cycling through appearance modes.
(this isn't real time, I've slowed the gif down. It's actually very fast to switch too), so I'm fairly pleased with it.
overclockedmind

Post by overclockedmind »

richmond62 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:33 am Hmm . . .

And let's fantasise for a moment that the difference is a single line of code . . .

The next question is whether it would be possible to write a stack that could open a standalone, as a text file, "inject" it with 'the ARM virus' and leave it in such a state that it actually would run on a Mac ARM machine.

Thoughts more than welcome.
Thought is... more than welcome!
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
overclockedmind

I'm testing for you both. My most powerful machine is (at the moment) running Windows 10. When support for 10 ends completely, I'll be going back to Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Not kidding, Heck, I have it in a VirtualBox VM.

I'm also not to proud too beg for Windows 10-related releases. :lol:
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

overclockedmind wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:46 am I'm also not to proud too beg for Windows 10-related releases. :lol:
Probably some time early next week, I should have something new for you to test.
overclockedmind

tperry2x wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:51 pm
overclockedmind wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:46 am I'm also not to proud too beg for Windows 10-related releases. :lol:
Probably some time early next week, I should have something new for you to test.
Much appreciated.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

I know I've only just released 0.99, but I had a sudden realisation today, regarding how to fix the inspector and message box.
(It turns out being stuck in a boring meeting and letting your mind wander can do wonders sometimes)... so...

v1.0 sneak preview:
This is on xubuntu, with XFCE (deliberately) and shows the improved inspector & message box focus.
https://www.tsites.co.uk/otherstuff/ins ... -focus.mp4

This is on Debian 12, mate and shows a slightly different behaviour (where my new stack retains focus).
https://www.tsites.co.uk/otherstuff/try ... pector.mp4

However, I'll take those behaviours over what it did previously any day.
(taking my time to test this on every linux distro I can)

(This is only by analysing what the engine is trying to do, and making allowances / workarounds for it in script).

v1.0 also has some tweakable options so you can experiment with palette behavior without having to script anything. (although in an ideal world, nobody will have a need to touch them)
troubleshooting.png
troubleshooting.png (35.04 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
So, question is, if you can look at OXT Lite objectively - as if you were coming to it with a fresh take.
What would be the things you'd say stand out as being inherently wrong?
I say this, as it's the last chance for me to make changes before going to 1.0.

(I'm currently pulling all traces of LC's 'begging for funding' and mentioning of kickstarter graphics out of various folders).
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

"Inherently wrong" ?

That's OK if you enjoy running your own efforts down.

What you have achieved so far, in your spare time, is nothing short of miraculous.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:52 am "Inherently wrong" ?
Thank you, that's very kind of you to say so.
I mean, is there anything that is glaringly obvious (there might be glaringly obvious things that I can't fix), but if everyone lets me know, that would be great.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Well: if you are fishing for slightly offensive remarks . . . 8-)

. . . I still don't like your icons in the Tool Bar.

But, replacing them (as I have done myself) is a no-brainer, so that really doesn't fuss me.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:10 am I still don't like your icons in the Tool Bar
Just to clarify: Do you mean the icons that are running across horizontally in the revMenubar stack, or do you mean the icons shown in the vertical "tools" stack?

Under MacOS, I will revamp the vertical "tools" stack icons - so these have anti-aliased edges and meld in better with dark/light themes.

If you mean the horizontal toolbar images, these were taken from a previous version of LCC (at your request if I remember, as you said you liked colourful icons rather than mono ones).
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I mean the vertical revTools stack.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

I have updated these using UI graphics from Big Sur, which can kind of pass for the current UI elements on Sonoma (although these are slightly flatter with even less shading). These are also antialiased so that they work on dark and light themes with no harsh edges.

I may also set the resizequality to 'best' for the tools palette images, as this will help it look better on retina displays.
examples.png
examples.png (38.94 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
overclockedmind

Thank you for all your hard work, tperry2x. Serious.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

You'd think I'm obsessed with dark mode. I'm not... (well, perhaps a little), but it's all about getting everything to be aware of it as it's there.

So, now - the project browser can do dark mode:
projectbrowser-dark.png
projectbrowser-dark.png (86.12 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
...so can the dictionary:
dark-theme-for-dictionary.png
dark-theme-for-dictionary.png (74.45 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
& windows 10:
windows-10-too.png
windows-10-too.png (142.55 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
Also, even Macs on older OS versions (Mac OS 10.9 > 10.14 where dark mode wasn't included)
Although, it's a shame about the window titlebar. There are some 'hacky' methods for doing this too, but I'm not going to use anything that's unsupported.
dark-mode-old-mac.png
dark-mode-old-mac.png (510.49 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
overclockedmind

OK, those pics rock my socks. Out of curiosity, will it be left in there anyway for the elder OSes to hack back on unofficially?

You're about as into Dark Mode as I am. Maybe even moreso.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

overclockedmind wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:33 pm OK, those pics rock my socks. Out of curiosity, will it be left in there anyway for the elder OSes to hack back on unofficially?
Yes, I'll leave the dark mode in for these earlier OSs. It just doesn't do the titlebars.
switching-mavericks.gif
switching-mavericks.gif (227.08 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
overclockedmind wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:33 pm You're about as into Dark Mode as I am. Maybe even moreso.
:D