OXT Swank Pages

A forum to share your demonstrations stacks, fun stacks, games, etc.
richmond62

OXT Swank Pages

Post by richmond62 »

So: for people to know what OXT can be used for we really need a set of "swanking" pages linked to the OXT web-page.

I am currently working on a game where 'Thor' has to bash trolls [images available free from the wonderful people at Craftpix].

Children are suckers for games.

In a perfect world this should be 'worked up' into a "Richmond holds your hands" type Youtube video and a "text with pictures" class.

As with most games of this sort it needs to be pointed out that with OXT the actual programming takes about 10% of the time, and messing around with the graphics takes the other 90%.
-
Stage_1.jpg
Stage_1.jpg (431.63 KiB) Viewed 724 times
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
richmond62

Re: OXT Swank Pages

Post by richmond62 »

The best thing is to have several illustrative stacks that let would-be users see how relatively quickly and simply one can produce something that is more than the horrible, corny, "Hello World" sort of nonsense learners of other programming languages are forced to start with.

Jumping right in to a simple game is a fairly 'sexy' way to show what xTalk can bring to the table:
-
GameX.jpg
GameX.jpg (368.09 KiB) Viewed 708 times
-
Here animation of 2 sorts is shown to be able to do WITHOUT any 'animation engine' add-ons:

[AND our initial thrust should be to show just how much xTalk can do as it stands.]

1. In-Frame animation.
-
inFrame.jpg
inFrame.jpg (56.48 KiB) Viewed 706 times
-
2. Navigational animation.
-
inWindow.jpg
inWindow.jpg (15.61 KiB) Viewed 705 times
-
End-user navigational control with keyboard:

The 'Viking' is controlled via the A,W,S, and Z keys as using the Arrow Keys is problematic in terms of preventing multiple signals on an end-user keeping a key depressed (this is because while xTalk provides keyDown and keyUp, it only provides on arrowKey).

Use of random to determine the movement of the 'trolls' under the control of the computer.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: OXT Swank Pages

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Thanks, for som much sharing game related examples, but maybe this should be moved to the 'Fun and Games' section?

This one looks a little bit like arcade game Gauntlet, I think it's the floor texture.

I agree we need more games because kids are suckers for games, and if the kid has access to the source and they're inquisitive they can see exactly how the game works. This is exactly how I first got lured into developing as a 10 yr old in 1980. I spent countless hours typing in Atari code listings from ANTIC, COMPUTE! Magazine and others, recording them to cassette (painful), after a while I started recognizing what various peeks and pokes a certain memory locations did, and I was soon making my own joystick/Paddle controller noise making software. Felt great!

I keep bringing Game Dev up up when talking to my 14 yr old son lately (he's into indy fan-games and game mods now), I'm convinced I could make a 2D Fighter style Game engine with xTalk, I just don't have the time for it.