OXT Cloud IDE v0.00000001

A place to discuss and plan OpenSource xTalk (not exclusively LCC based)
and Community Builds of LCC ...Ask NOT what xTalk can do for you...
Get involved you DO have something to contribute, no matter your skillset!

Forum rules
A place to discuss and plan OpenSource xTalk (not exclusively LCC based) and Community Builds of LCC
Ask NOT what xTalk can do for you... get involved you DO have something to contribute, no matter your skillset!
OpenXTalkPaul

OXT Cloud IDE v0.00000001

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

OXTWebIDE_v000001.jpg
OXTWebIDE_v000001.jpg (186.58 KiB) Viewed 766 times
Feeling inspired by HyperCard Simulator, I played around with our Emscripten Engine for a little bit this weekend and copied some components of "FreeGUI" into the OXT Web Playground stack.
OpenXTalkPaul

Re: OXT Cloud IDE v0.00000001

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

I haven't uploaded it to the repo yet, need to add some more IDE before I bother with that.

The Emscripten Engine is missing some features.
Most importantly it does not have a functional "wait".

It's also lacking a window manager due to the fact that 'the platform" is not a platform at all and is a web browser. Thus Stacks have NO window frames at all. So we need library that is a purely OXT based psudo-Window manager that creates and applies Window frames and 'decorations along with their functionality (close, grab, expand, minimize, etc.). I've been thinking a widget could be created specifically for this purpose, which would eliminate or at least reduce the amount of window management scripting a stack author would need to do to create a faux-Mac or faux-Windows window control for a stack. Such a widget would need several appearances of the frames / decorations (and preferably the ability to set a custom look of decorations) for different window types (like palettes).
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I always wondered what the Emscripten engine, with its cryptic name, and no proper documentation I could find, was for.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

richmond62 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:08 pm I always wondered what the Emscripten engine, with its cryptic name, and no proper documentation I could find, was for.
With Google and DuckDuckGo I find tons of info when searching "Emscripten".
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

Another possibility: an OXT-specific browser.

It doesn't replace web browsers. It compliments them.

Just as web browsers run HTML apps, an OXT browser could run stackfile apps.

No, it wouldn't be as popular. That would be the point, a specific network riding on top of the web but only accessible to OXT users.

Not everything needs to be for everyone.

Think groupware over publicware.
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

FourthWorld wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:44 pm Another possibility: an OXT-specific browser.

It doesn't replace web browsers. It compliments them.

Just as web browsers run HTML apps, an OXT browser could run stackfile apps.

No, it wouldn't be as popular. That would be the point, a specific network riding on top of the web but only accessible to OXT users.

Not everything needs to be for everyone.

Think groupware over publicware.
I like this idea, could be a bit remenecant of like AOL HC Forums or Hotine /IP BBSes. Even more cool if it had like a GopherVR style interface for browsing piles of stacks, ha!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GopherVR#/
Gophervr.png
Gophervr.png (68.08 KiB) Viewed 754 times
To some degree browsing all of the Pantechnicon stacks via a card on HyperCard Simulator's Home Stack feels a bit like an 'xTalk-net', or AOL HC forum's files section at least.
Pantechnicon.jpg
Pantechnicon.jpg (150.84 KiB) Viewed 752 times