Comments on 0.98

Updates on the progress of this project
overclockedmind

Re: Comments on 0.98

Post by overclockedmind »

Of course, good sir. I truly appreciate a good joke, that is all that I meant.

And I could learn more "sheet" from you for an eternity. I can kinda just tell.
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

At least 2 people round here seem to have a lot of sheet right now. 8-)

Not that that is what is stopping OXT Lite 0.98 locking up on MacOS.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
overclockedmind

Correct. Re-testing with this clarification, but I'll need to wake up first.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:11 am The get info says "0.0.9.5" which is rubbish as the most recent downloadable version in 0.98.
As mentioned previously on the MacOS build, ignore the version in 'Get Info'.
Every time I change it, I seem to break codesigning. That's why it's shown at 0.95. I'm now tempted to remove that altogether.

I have had OXT Lite 0.98 open all day today, and have been in-and-out of the program between other tasks. It's not locked up or frozen once on me, but then that's not on MacOS.

I have also left a Mac with Catalina running OXT lite 0.98 on all day in the background. I set a loop where it recursively opens and closes each stack in the ide after a minute of each being open. It's been doing this all day without any issue, when I finally shut it down at 3pm.

I would suggest if you are only getting problems in Sonoma to focus troubleshooting there to begin with.

If you have a look at the console in /Applications/Utilities/ and see if there's any error logs that might relate to OpenXTalk Lite. That might give a clue as to what's causing the lock up.

Does anything else freeze when this happens?
Again, the console should give you a clue, but if so, I'd check disk utility and the status of your boot disk to ensure the smart status isn't failing.

Have you established if this only crashes in Sonoma yet?

What was the verdict on the toplevel / palette issue? Which window are you referring to, and what was the issue with it please?
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

richmond62 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:39 pm At least 2 people round here seem to have a lot of sheet right now. 8-)
?
And just who might those two people be??
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Nothing velse freezes, and I first reported this problem on MacOS 12.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Please check the console logs for errors on MacOS 12 as I mentioned above, for any errors.
Also, please try and note if there are any patterns to these freezes.
Any similar function or command you might be running when this happens?

If I was feeling in a particularly snarky mood, I'd say that LCC was released on the 30th of July, 2021
9.6.3_release_date.png
9.6.3_release_date.png (68.85 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
Given that MacOS 12 Monterey didn't come out until 3 months after that:
macOS-release-dates.png
macOS-release-dates.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
I think you can only assume compatibility with MacOS 11 Big Sur at the most.

That's if I was being snarky.

Or just crack open a beer.
overclockedmind

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I am:

This is why my System76 laptop had Linux on it to start with.
overclockedmind

And I mean that, all the way down to our "current" version under Monterey. I only had the "de-branded" IDE under Linux (a long long time ago, in a galaxy 2-3 years old...) and it is a FREAKING ROCK (it is solid) compared to the OS X version. That's been my combination of experiences, anyway.
overclockedmind

That post wasn't to start any fires; I know we're OSS now and One Taketh What One Can (and tries to help with testing, if you're me.)
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

overclockedmind wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:29 pm What are we saying? Put Apple Silicon on indefinite hold in order to progress? Or because it's flat-out in our way?

Is this the "slight aberration" being referred to?

IMO, Windows, and Linux should be our focus points, perhaps a side of UNIX. If the Apple version of UNIX has to take a long walk, well, that is "We Did it Rite" to me.

Apple's need to solder sh*t to a motherboard that doesn't need to be has gotten more annoying over time, that's just one aspect of it, and even though their market share is probably the best it's ever been, what is it, really?

Because I've grown to hate them. Sorry, I have. It started when Steve left us. We've got to come up with... lemme see if I get this... laws to ALLOW us to repair the computer we bought and we paid for? What fresh hell is this?

Anyway, that's my two cents. Maybe I've got it all wrong and I should have waited half an hour to post.
Well I'm not saying that, I will likely get an Apple Silicon mac at some point. I'm just not in a big rush to switch CPU architectures again. But I still like the macOS feel and I still feel like I need macOS for my paying work I'll probably move more towards Linux as I get closer to retiring. There's a few Linux Distros now with UIs that cater more towards Mac OS Switchers.

I'm not a fan of not-being able to upgrade individual computer components like CPU & RAM/etc., but in Apple's defense it is pretty common with SoC boards (most ARM boards: iOS, Android, Chromebooks, Raspberry Pi, etc.), and that is what Apple computers basically are now, SoC boards. But that is also why Apple Silicon and other SoC boards can be faster. Everything is directly connected and as close together as possible to allow for less electricity use AND faster throughput.

The crApp store policies and the ever tightening sandboxing are what irritate me.
overclockedmind

Apple gets NO PASS. I understand what you refer to; I've quite nearly bought one. No quarter.

(I refer to, of course, a system-on-a-chip. The newest in PiVille makes me want. Guess what you can upgrade on them? Quite nearly everything is user-accessible.)
TerryL

Post by TerryL »

@ tperry2x. Thank you for adding the window decorations preference. Nice. The Help menu has some menuItem changes. Comments anyone?
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

TerryL wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:31 pm menuItem changes.
I should also mention I've refined these further in 0.99, which I should be making available by the early part of next week. I'm just testing on all three major platforms at the moment, to see if I can catch any errors I've not yet fixed.
The 0.99 build is all about optimisations, and the IDE is a lot faster to boot. Menus are a lot more responsive. (lots of script cleanup)
overclockedmind

I wasn't told to in any way, but I ran the update process in 0.98 (Lite) Win 10 Pro x64, it saved a file to the Desktop, I ran it as admin, and it was gone before I knew what it had done :lol:

Just in case it helps out with anything. Successful.

A Question: Unlike the Mac, where this wouldn't be an issue... will OXT and OXT Lite install on the same machine without Windows being a real jerk?
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

overclockedmind wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:02 am I wasn't told to in any way, but I ran the update process in 0.98 (Lite) Win 10 Pro x64, it saved a file to the Desktop, I ran it as admin, and it was gone before I knew what it had done :lol:
I windows, the updater creates a bat script, rather than a shell script.
If it ran and closed without displaying any errors, then the update ran sucessfully. If it couldn't be run, it should have displayed an error and left the window open.

I do want to make this a fully automatic process. That is on my to-do-list. I do have some 'legit' ways to ask for raised permissions, as there's a windows, MacOS and Linux API to do this.
overclockedmind wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:02 am A Question: Unlike the Mac, where this wouldn't be an issue... will OXT and OXT Lite install on the same machine without Windows being a real jerk?
It won't cause any major issues. In fact, if you have OXT lite installed first, you can move the whole folder from your program files to your desktop and run it from there if you like.
Like the mac though, the only issue you might get is with file-association (because there will be multiple instances of the same program), so the OS might not know which version of the OXT to open files in when they are double clicked. On the mac, this can confuse launchservices and on windows, you end up with duplicate entries in the windows registry.
overclockedmind

tperry2x wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:08 am
overclockedmind wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:02 am I wasn't told to in any way, but I ran the update process in 0.98 (Lite) Win 10 Pro x64, it saved a file to the Desktop, I ran it as admin, and it was gone before I knew what it had done :lol:
I windows, the updater creates a bat script, rather than a shell script.
If it ran and closed without displaying any errors, then the update ran sucessfully. If it couldn't be run, it should have displayed an error and left the window open.

I do want to make this a fully automatic process. That is on my to-do-list. I do have some 'legit' ways to ask for raised permissions, as there's a windows, MacOS and Linux API to do this.
overclockedmind wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:02 am A Question: Unlike the Mac, where this wouldn't be an issue... will OXT and OXT Lite install on the same machine without Windows being a real jerk?
It won't cause any major issues. In fact, if you have OXT lite installed first, you can move the whole folder from your program files to your desktop and run it from there if you like.
Like the mac though, the only issue you might get is with file-association (because there will be multiple instances of the same program), so the OS might not know which version of the OXT to open files in when they are double clicked. On the mac, this can confuse launchservices and on windows, you end up with duplicate entries in the windows registry.
That's correct, no troubles.

One could also be prompted to run as admin for needed updates, but sticking to what you described sounds way better to me.
And thank you for the frank info on both OXT revisions. I want to continue trying to provide feedback, and TBH I'm on my Windows machine WAY more than my Mac, though I shift that, for now, to do Monterey testing.

And once the move is over, I have a TON of pre-purchased assets for game media, visual and audio... maybe I'll download it all and really, really get locked into this thing.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

open files in when they are double clicked
Having multiple installs of LC version and OXT versions on both MacOS and Linux I learnt a long time ago that double-clicking on a file asks for trouble.

I ALWAYS either open a file via the thing I want it opened in, or do a right-click to get a contextual menu so I can choose.
overclockedmind

richmond62 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:22 am
open files in when they are double clicked
Having multiple installs of LC version and OXT versions on both MacOS and Linux I learnt a long time ago that double-clicking on a file asks for trouble.

I ALWAYS either open a file via the thing I want it opened in, or do a right-click to get a contextual menu so I can choose.
Seconded! On the Mac atm their resulting stacks are saved to different folders, too.