I Will ALSO NEVER... re: Crucial.com

All sorts of amusements and nonsense unrelated to xTalk
overclockedmind

I Will ALSO NEVER... re: Crucial.com

Post by overclockedmind »

Never again, Crucial.com, never ever again. I'll go thru Amazon or NewEgg in a heartbeat, and buy the same thing.
Here's a lovely screenshot of their bot breaking.

By the way, the order was placed 1/9. I get the weather; I won't stand for straight-out incompetence, however.
The tracking number my order has? Hasn't even hit UPS (the shipper, UPS) systems, yet.
Attachments
crucialblows.png
crucialblows.png (20.22 KiB) Viewed 876 times
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
overclockedmind

Re: I Will ALSO NEVER... re: Crucial.com

So, I'm embarrassed but I have never done a charge-back to a company. Should it bother me to do so, given what I've posted above? I haven't gotten anything yet, not even a legitimate tracking number.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

I have had Memory sticks from Crucial, when I stayed in the UAE, in Scotland, and in Bulgaria: and have never had a problem: BUT possibly because at that time Crucial used a fairly 'normal' web-page, NOT 'Marvin the Paranoid Android'.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
overclockedmind

richmond62 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:56 am I have had Memory sticks from Crucial, when I stayed in the UAE, in Scotland, and in Bulgaria: and have never had a problem: BUT possibly because at that time Crucial used a fairly 'normal' web-page, NOT 'Marvin the Paranoid Android'.
Also the Lifetime Warranty. But I'll be buying them thru Amazon or NewEgg or something from now on.
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

the Lifetime Warranty
1. Your lifetime?

2. The lifetime of whichever machine you have jammed it into?

3. The lifetime of the component they have sold you?

Probably #2 if you are lucky: in not be sure it is #3.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
overclockedmind

richmond62 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:37 am
the Lifetime Warranty
1. Your lifetime?

2. The lifetime of whichever machine you have jammed it into?

3. The lifetime of the component they have sold you?

Probably #2 if you are lucky: in not be sure it is #3.
To my knowledge, it's 3. Which I've never had to invoke due to fault of theirs, until now.
overclockedmind

Hope they enjoy the charge-back, which looks like even more of a pain for me, but it's happening. I'm done with them through that "Paranoid Android" website of theirs.

I don't feel bad. I don't even have a tracking number UPS recognizes. At all. You know how UPS knows they're supposed to get the thing but they haven't, yet? I don't even have that, and they have the gall to list the order as "Complete" on their site.

But I do feel bad; a decade ago crucial.com was just, flat-out where you went to get RAM, with a warranty so good you could inform the customer of the warranty upon it. Now I get to deal with someone else. Amazon and NewEgg are my best two ideas so far.

Amazon is a pain in the butt that will have me driving 20 miles (in winter, atm) one-way to return their shiz due to our remote locale.
Newegg's been bitten in the rear end before re: security breaches. But heck I changed my pw and it's all good. Still...
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

Personally I've never had a problem with Crucial memory chips or any other products from that company. I've never purchased directly from their website though.
overclockedmind

To kinda bowtie the whole affair, I was told it would be a UPS package. It ended up being a FedEx package.

So yeah, buy Crucial/Micron/Hyenix (dunno that I nailed the spelling on that last one) all day long, just DON'T buy it from crucial.com.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

I've never had a problem with Hynix memory, and crucial memory either.
Thing is, if you don't order through crucial direct, how do you know you are getting genuine memory - not just memory with a fake sticker?
overclockedmind

tperry2x wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:46 am I've never had a problem with Hynix memory, and crucial memory either.
Thing is, if you don't order through crucial direct, how do you know you are getting genuine memory - not just memory with a fake sticker?
I had considered that... and of course, I've got no answer other than "you're trusting that vendor not to lie to you."

I know Amazon links to what is supposed to be "Crucial's Store" within them, but I trust them a bit less; might just be my own self-doubt, because anytime they send me to "Logitech's Store," for example they'd have to be some pretty good fakes internally and externally. I don't know that NewEgg has ever sent me anything besides what I specifically asked for. Of course, you have to be fairly specific in *how* you ask.

But of course, we've reached the point where they can re-create quite nearly anything "over there."

That's why I've never ordered memory anyplace besides that (Crucial directly,) how I got the 2x16GB set that makes my system not boot (a one-time problem out of hundreds of times.) But the site is different now ("Web technologies" pushed to the max, with poor execution of it) which of course is NOT where I ordered all of the sticks of memory when I needed it for customers.

You gotta take what you will out of that post. Find the answers that fit you, as it were.