Anyone know how to...

Organizing tasks to work on, New Features Ideas, Building LCS & LCB Libraries & Widgets, Redecorating and Modifying the IDE, Hacking / Editing Tools, Compiling the Engine from Source, etc.
tperry2x

Anyone know how to...

Post by tperry2x »

Does anyone know how to turn off antialiasing for text fields within the IDE?
I know there are various tweaks you can apply at OS level, but what I mean is what if I want to turn off antialiasing for a particular field?

The reason?
I'd like to add a checkbox in the script editor, or in the script editor's menu (Edit > Options > Toggle Antialiasing)

Particularly if editing a large stack with lots of lines of script, the fans can come on with the CPU temps increasing noticeably under Windows. (Granted, I'm talking about if you have thousands of lines of script - such as when editing the IDE, so might be a niche use case). However, it must be doable?
tperry2x

Re: Anyone know how to...

Post by tperry2x »

Secondly:
As there have been a few requests to make the toolbar into a floating window (this has been done, and is available in v0.98)
However, it does not position itself correctly on Windows and MacOS.

In 0.99 I've fixed this for Windows, however - to be able to sort out the position of the toolbar for MacOS, I need to know the various heights it should be positioned at.
I can't test on Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura (or Sonoma, but have been told about Sonoma already).

So, this is where I'm asking for assistance.
Screenshot_2024-01-14_22-23-02.png
Screenshot_2024-01-14_22-23-02.png (68.12 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Mac users: If you are running Big Sur, Monterery, or Ventura - I'd appreciate knowing what the window height offset is where it only just touches the menubar.
pos finder.oxtstack
(2.6 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Alternate version, if you want it to move the window for you:
https://www.openxtalk.org/forum/viewtop ... 5951#p5951
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Maybe the messageBox should be a "full" window and not a palette.

Certainly, on Xubuntu and Debian 12 + XFCE, when the messageBox is a stack (i.e. topLevel stack) there is no obvious problem about entering text into its fields.
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

tperry2x wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:05 pm Does anyone know how to turn off antialiasing for text fields within the IDE?
I know there are various tweaks you can apply at OS level, but what I mean is what if I want to turn off antialiasing for a particular field?

The reason?
I'd like to add a checkbox in the script editor, or in the script editor's menu (Edit > Options > Toggle Antialiasing)

Particularly if editing a large stack with lots of lines of script, the fans can come on with the CPU temps increasing noticeably under Windows. (Granted, I'm talking about if you have thousands of lines of script - such as when editing the IDE, so might be a niche use case). However, it must be doable?
Unless all apps which display text are slow on that machine, I'd wager there's lower-hanging fruit in the scripting that would produce more dramatic performance improvements if tweaked.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

FourthWorld wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:01 pm Unless all apps which display text are slow on that machine, I'd wager there's lower-hanging fruit in the scripting that would produce more dramatic performance improvements if tweaked.
As far as I can tell, just OXT Lite and LCC 9.6.3 - every other program I can have 4000+ line text files open (Notepad++ for example). I think it's the way that the engine is rendering text in windows. Not noticeable until you get past the 2000+ lines in a script, but more evident on a slower/low-end pc.
FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld »

Do you have the Dictionary tab open in the SE?

Have you run a message longer to profile where the bottleneck is?

My Flight Recorder tool may help. You can get it from the Stacks section of RevNet - in the LC IDE see Development -> Plugins -> GoRevNet
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

This whole thing is very odd: last night I had the stack of my Devawriter open on my Dad's 20 year old 32-bit Toshiba laptop with LC 963 32-bit with Debian 12 XFCE: and saw no 'funny' text effects in any of the objects that have more than 6000 lines of code.

The laptop did NOT get hot, nothing obvious (beyond the fact that the thing has a tough time running 2 apps at the same time: which happens regardless of what they are).
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

This is only a slowdown when editing huge amounts of script in the IDE, and only shows on Windows. On MacOS and Linux, it seems fine.

I can reproduce the error if I have no other stacks open in the IDE, but haven't had a chance to test with the help of any plugins yet. I will try this route, thank you Fourthworld.

I can turn off anti-aliasing for the entire OS in 'change appearance and performance settings' in Windows, and that shows a huge improvement.

Not to worry, as it's quite a niche case, but perhaps one to be aware of. It seems strange that there's no option to be able to toggle antialiasing of text in individual fields.
antialiasing-win.png
antialiasing-win.png (220.03 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
(screenshot sourced from elsewhere, as I'm not at the windows-pc at the moment).
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:28 pm Secondly:
As there have been a few requests to make the toolbar into a floating window (this has been done, and is available in v0.98)
However, it does not position itself correctly on Windows and MacOS.

In 0.99 I've fixed this for Windows, however - to be able to sort out the position of the toolbar for MacOS, I need to know the various heights it should be positioned at.
I can't test on Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura (or Sonoma, but have been told about Sonoma already).

So, this is where I'm asking for assistance.
Screenshot_2024-01-14_22-23-02.png

Mac users: If you are running Big Sur, Monterery, or Ventura - I'd appreciate knowing what the window height offset is where it only just touches the menubar.
I think I had the topLeft for macOS set at 22px, 0 px which looks OK on BigSur. I've never did find any way to get the system menubar height info directly from the operating system on macOS.

I don't know about disabling anti-aliasing on text on fields, I'm thinking that is something normally handled by the OS.
I do know how to turn off antialiasing for text/graphics painted in widgets (which uses its own rendering engine).