Comments on 1.0

Updates on the progress of this project
overclockedmind

Re: Comments on 1.0

Post by overclockedmind »

tperry2x wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:24 am
overclockedmind wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:21 am I have all "three" in my posession, the one you put up sits in my Downloads folder,
and in the Trash is the one it came with. Which I'm writing just as much to remind myself of it as I am to tell you :lol:
Yes, it's certainly interesting. I don't know what it could be finding such a problem with. There's nothing that drastic that I changed.
Paul and myself had been discussing the option of perhaps making an inline search for the dictionary on the toolbar - where the upgrade button in the vanilla LCC 9.x builds would be. I think this is a great idea, and could tie in with the new dictionary. I think we should all put our heads together to create a revised 'revmenubar' stack that can be tested on MacOS especially, and make sure we don't get these crashes.

Progress!!
I'm there. Not tonight though, I believe like the night owl I am that the clock saying "5:33 AM" is correct in my case. No worries, I'm a rather nocturnal creature by nature.
MBA (Early 2015, 8GB/512G SSD, Monterey 12.7.2)
System76 serv12 (64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 2TB HD, Win 10 Pro x64)
Power Mac 3,1 Project - Needs TLC will get it soon
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

I think my plan of attack will be to take Paul's RC4 revmenubar as linked above, then get rid of the stuff we know that we don't want. Like the upgrade button and such.
Then test this (inflict this upon) mac users, to see what happens.

If that's all good - then we can look at adding bits in from there.
Sound like a plan?

edit:
Done, please try attached revMenuBar on a mac
revmenubar.mimimalchanges.zip
(26.38 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 12.47.41.png
Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 12.47.41.png (152.15 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Line 3329: If there's anything broken (if this crashes too, the problem will be due to something past this point). - It'll make my bug-hunting process easier.

When you pull down / choose the help menu - you'll notice that this is unchanged from Paul's version. These are minimal changes. I've not changed the commands & text yet. I'm just trying to see at what point this breaks.

Please can someone let me know if this works on MacOS Monterey+
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

You can use a free Apple Developer Account, you don't need a paid account if you aren't uploading to the App Store, but you can still sign for development, you can sign up to two (or three?) apps, and can even use this to side-load your app on to an iOS device. I believe you can also use KeyChain.app to make your own signing certificate, and then sign binaries with that (which may or may not fix some of problem).
Installing a certificate into the System's Keychain should take care of the problems but requires elevated privileges (shouldn't be a problem for single user machines).

I'll try to read/respond to this thread in full tomorrow.
overclockedmind

Am I being whispered at to revert to 0.99?
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

overclockedmind wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:13 am Am I being whispered at to revert to 0.99?
Not by me :D
That's only a temporary fix: otherwise we won't move past 0.99 (and all those who desperately want me to get to v1.0 will have to wait). These revMenuBar bugs need sorting if we are serious about having something stable on MacOS.

That's not meant as a snarky comment. That's just where we are with it.
If I can't get people to test the weird menubar crashes in v1.0, then we are going to remain at v0.99 for the mac version at least. Besides, I don't think v0.99 is free of this behaviour on the mac as I'm sure you got it to crash on 0.99 earlier -
https://www.openxtalk.org/forum/viewtop ... 6255#p6255
so that's not a fix either.

I'd be keen to see if the last revmenubar I posted above;
https://www.openxtalk.org/forum/viewtop ... 6274#p6274
I'd like to know if the buttons work, it looks like the screenshot I'm seeing and if you can actually use the help menu without it crashing.

Once I can confirm that, I can put some of my menu shortcuts back in and see if that causes the crash. I'm doing it as a process of elimination. Sorry to treat you all like guinea pigs, but I need someone with MacOS Monterey and onwards.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

OpenXTalkPaul wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:51 pm I'll try to read/respond to this thread in full tomorrow.
Cool.
This is how I thought we could have an inline dictionary search looking, something like this mockup:
mockup.png
mockup.png (136.25 KiB) Viewed 887 times
overclockedmind

You're correct about the last, reduced revMenubar. I'm pretty certain that in Monterey, I've selected every menu item in there, and it doesn't immediately display that crash dialog.

As I mentioned in the other thread regarding this, the release notes link refers to That Other Company's Release Notes. No big deal perhaps but I'm sure we don't want it "going out" that way. :lol:
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Okay, that's probably still in Paul's RC4 help menu.
Can you try this one next please:
It's the shortcuts back in for the following menus:
Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 18.42.11.png
Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 18.42.11.png (287.9 KiB) Viewed 878 times
revmenubar.shortcuts1.zip
(26.65 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Please can you see if that causes any crashes?
overclockedmind

It unzipped, as an executable. Maybe I just didn't notice that the first go-round? I'm not sure, but it seemed different.
Naming it the same thing as before of course, it's no longer an executable.

Is it a replacement, or an addition?
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Same trick as before please. It should be the same thing so, if you can replace the revMenubar.livecodescript with this one. This adds the shortcuts in the menubars as mentioned above. I just want to see if this triggers the crash.

If not, then I'll move onto the dreaded help menu modifications next - and see if that's the culprit. I just wanted to rule out one thing at a time.
overclockedmind

Absolutely everything worked on a label, and text formatting a field. I didn't go out of my way to see where else I could use it, but this'll probably say all that needs said:
Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 1.00.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 1.00.26 AM.png (195.34 KiB) Viewed 834 times
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

overclockedmind wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:04 am Absolutely everything worked on a label, and text formatting a field
Brilliant. That's good news. And no crashing when you go to the help menu?
Righto - so in my next post will come the edits to the help menu (this might bring the crash back, so we'll see)....

I won't get a chance to look at that until later this evening.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

Thanks for your help overclockedmind, by the way. It's a huge help and I can't thank you enough.
Here's a test with me putting the view and help menus back in. Please can you try that for me on the Mac.
menu-changes.png
menu-changes.png (277.91 KiB) Viewed 773 times
revmenubar.view-and-help.zip
(26.81 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
overclockedmind

I'm remarking to note that I've seen this, and will back to try it when Reality gets outta my way.
overclockedmind

Two of the objects in the Help menu redirect to either LiveCode or (no kidding) runrev. But I missed the "does it crash" question, so I went back and checked (before I went after "the newest.") No crashing.

I'm simply curious of what I'm testing here: is each subsequent "test" a cumulative thing, meaning it is the sum of the previous sections, or am I testing sections in a non-cumulative manner?

Off to actually try the latest...
overclockedmind

tperry2x wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:56 pm Thanks for your help overclockedmind, by the way. It's a huge help and I can't thank you enough.
Here's a test with me putting the view and help menus back in. Please can you try that for me on the Mac.
menu-changes.png

revmenubar.view-and-help.zip
So, some stuff's not hooked up since the last revision, things are no longer pointing to LC or runRev (I'm still laughing about that.)

I hesitated to run the updater (as one would.) After a bit of deliberation, I hit the thing. Insufficient permissions and please run the updater on the Desktop. Thank God for Unix/Linux permissions :lol:

To impersonate Doug Marcaida, "It will NOT crash."
OpenXTalkPaul

Post by OpenXTalkPaul »

tperry2x wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:59 am then get rid of the stuff we know that we don't want. Like the upgrade button and such.
Then test this (inflict this upon) mac users, to see what happens.
The reason I left that button, and changed it to "OpenXTalk" that opens the 'Start Center' is because it also acts as a place holder for the interactive guided tutorials 'playback controls', which is what that changes into when a tutorial is running.

I actually really like the idea of those guided tutorials. I think that simple little API works quite well and it would be fairly simple to create additional interactive tutorials. They're just specially crafted text files. It's a shame they did the work to build that and then didn't do all that much with it. I think some sort of 'record' mechanism, similar to recording an Adobe Actions or recording AppleScript UI script, would really take it to another level of usefulness.

Anyway if you are going to remove that button (it's a graphic in a group I believe), you might as well take out that tutorial system as well (and remove the tutorial start buttons in 'Start Center' if you still have them).
overclockedmind

Just to shift focus back to making sure revmenubar isn't causing us any more problems, I'm waiting for any further test work needing to be done. For the record, I did NOT do the update that 1.0 offered me, yet: I didn't want to cause that significant of a change to the test environment.

Unless you say "do the update" first, I won't be doing it. Waiting for any other test cases.
tperry2x

Post by tperry2x »

You've helped out massively, so thank you.
I think I know what was causing the issue.
I put the 'App Browser' back in the tools menu, and there were other places like the 'About' in the help menu that I can't tamper with on the Mac, as that part of code seems very fragile on the mac.
(I'm probably going to leave the revMenuBar stack alone from now on, in fear of causing MacOS instability).

Feel free to try 1.01 and I hope I've fixed those problems ;) (with your help of course)
https://www.openxtalk.org/forum/viewtop ... 4646#p4646
richmond62

Post by richmond62 »

Right-O, Happy People: can I know WHERE I can download the latest & greatest Linux version to test?
https://richmondmathewson.owlstown.net/